• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

willoghby

Toast DVD - Will PAL Play on NTSC player?

Question

Hi,

Not being very technical on these subjects, I'm currently burning my PAL footage onto a DVD using Toast 10, and would like to know if it would be viewable on an NTSC DVD player if used in the USA?

What's the difference between a PAL DVD and an NTSC DVD, surely the only requirement is for the DVD to be region free - which I believe Toast is??

Video standards/formats aren't a consideration with DVD's . . . are they??

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

PAL and NTSC have different resolutions and frame rates. In the U.S. there are very few DVD players equipped to play PAL format (unlike Europe where most PAL players can play NTSC). It doesn't matter either way if the DVD is going to be played on a computer, however.

You can have Toast convert the PAL video to NTSC so you can burn a NTSC DVD. In Toast Preferences change the default format to NTSC. When you click the burn button (or save as disc image) Toast will ask if you really want the PAL video converted to NTSC.

Tsantee,

Thanks for the reply . . . . what happens if a PAL DVD is played on an NTSC player??

Same answer - the DVD player has to be able to play both systems and most North American players can only do NTSC.