• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Endless loop upon install

rgrimsley

Question

I have installed EMC 8. every time I boot up, I get the message that windows installer is gathering info, then asks if I want to reboot to complete installation. This has been going on for two days. it never finishes! I have Windows XP media edition. The EMC applications work, but this stupid dialog box won't give up. Does anyone know how to stop this?

:)

9 answers to this question

I know how you feel. I have exactly the same problem. I had Roxio media #5 which never did work quite right and went ahead and downloaded EMC-8. After an unbelevable hassal i finally got it downladed. It seemed to install correctly but after rebooting, the first message box appearred. "Windows installer, preparing to install", that changed to "please wait while windows confiqures roxio EMC8" then gathering required information" then "you must restart. I did and it rebooted and the same message appears again. Of course you can not use the machine because everything is locked up during all this nonsense. If you try to cancel it just crashes and restarts by itself only to see the same msg. again and again and again, until I finnally gust removed this annoying program. I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling everything 4 times now. I don't remember ever having this much trouble with another piece of software. Win XP PRO, 2.8 intell, 2gb ram, I am the administator.

I have no ideal if this might be the cause or possibly a solution. I have Webroot Spy Killer installed on both machines. It has an "alert" feature that notifies you when something is trying to install something to start up when the machine boots, you have to specify to either keep the change or discard it. When I am installing a program I turn Spy Killer off since I have to select "keep" the webextract_cleanup file that is usually generated now by most installers (in the registery in the "run once" item if I remember correctly). If you have any anti spyware, or possibly your anti virus, running it could possibly be blocking whatever is needed to complete the installation. I would suggest if you try another re-install, turn these things off while you are doing the install.

Thank you, but I don't have Spy killer, or any other blockers. My normal virus scanner, trend micro systems is off, I have no other blockers, scanners, firewalls or anything else. I have a nearlly fresh hard drive with only Windows XP pro running and microsoft flightsim. thats just about it. I even went to the store and purchased a new external cd/dvd drive on the hunch it was a drive problem, nothing wrong with my drives. I have been using Roxio products for years, they have never worked right, and with no existent support. I now know why they hit you up for an extra $4.99 when you download a product. There is very little realistic chance that it will really work or install on the first attempt. I am an A+ tech, which is no big deal, but if it will not work for me there is no way may father or somebody who has no computer background is going to find this a simple process. I will try one more time and that wil be it, by the way when i bought the new drive, a HP dvd840, it came with software included called Nero which works perfectly. I got an e-mail today inviting me to try this great product. Roxio emc8. they must have got my e-mail addresss from logging in to support or this forum. not interested. but no mention of a support or solution to my install issue.

I have installed EMC 8. every time I boot up, I get the message that windows installer is gathering info, then asks if I want to reboot to complete installation. This has been going on for two days. it never finishes! I have Windows XP media edition. The EMC applications work, but this stupid dialog box won't give up. Does anyone know how to stop this?

Don't know :huh: but,

I'm getting the "network error occured while attempting to read from the file-

D:\27b20.msi"

when I added Media Import through Add/Remove Programs and rebooted...EMC 8.5 couldn't read it's own CD.

The file is on the CD. I even "browsed" to it. LOL still get the error loop.

I uninstalled the whole shmear, but now I see the updater for Roxio Icon is still in the Control Panel!

What a mess of a program... and it's been out since fall of 2005! You'd think they'd have the bugs worked out by now.

I'm on week one of my 30days to return it!

Sunny

Thank you, but I don't have Spy killer, or any other blockers. My normal virus scanner, trend micro systems is off, I have no other blockers, scanners, firewalls or anything else. I have a nearlly fresh hard drive with only Windows XP pro running and microsoft flightsim. thats just about it. I even went to the store and purchased a new external cd/dvd drive on the hunch it was a drive problem, nothing wrong with my drives. I have been using Roxio products for years, they have never worked right, and with no existent support. I now know why they hit you up for an extra $4.99 when you download a product. There is very little realistic chance that it will really work or install on the first attempt. I am an A+ tech, which is no big deal, but if it will not work for me there is no way may father or somebody who has no computer background is going to find this a simple process. I will try one more time and that wil be it, by the way when i bought the new drive, a HP dvd840, it came with software included called Nero which works perfectly. I got an e-mail today inviting me to try this great product. Roxio emc8. they must have got my e-mail addresss from logging in to support or this forum. not interested. but no mention of a support or solution to my install issue.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. On the Celeron PC, it took much work using info from this forum and various ideals I came up with myself to finally get it working properly on that machine. I bought another copy off eBay for 7 or 8 dollars to try on the P4 machine, did not want to mess up the one that was working by uninstalling it off the Celeron so I could install on P4. It did not work on the P4 so I uninstalled it and am saving it for a rainy day when I have nothing to do and I want to waste some time.

I have installed several other similar programs (Sony Vegas, Nero 7, Pinnacle 10 Studio plus, Pinnacle's Titanium MediaStudio upgrade(P4 machine only)) on the Celeron and they worked out of the box. Uninstalled off Celeron so I could install on P4 machine and again, no problem whatsoever with them.

I am a software engineer and I had problems and a great deal of frustrations. I can imagine what someone that simply wants to buy such a program, install it, and use it immediately feels with the problems encountered.

I know how you feel. I have exactly the same problem. I had Roxio media #5 which never did work quite right and went ahead and downloaded EMC-8. After an unbelevable hassal i finally got it downladed. It seemed to install correctly but after rebooting, the first message box appearred. "Windows installer, preparing to install", that changed to "please wait while windows confiqures roxio EMC8" then gathering required information" then "you must restart. I did and it rebooted and the same message appears again. Of course you can not use the machine because everything is locked up during all this nonsense. If you try to cancel it just crashes and restarts by itself only to see the same msg. again and again and again, until I finnally gust removed this annoying program. I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling everything 4 times now. I don't remember ever having this much trouble with another piece of software. Win XP PRO, 2.8 intell, 2gb ram, I am the administator.

I have no ideal if this might be the cause or possibly a solution. I have Webroot Spy Killer installed on both machines. It has an "alert" feature that notifies you when something is trying to install something to start up when the machine boots, you have to specify to either keep the change or discard it. When I am installing a program I turn Spy Killer off since I have to select "keep" the webextract_cleanup file that is usually generated now by most installers (in the registery in the "run once" item if I remember correctly). If you have any anti spyware, or possibly your anti virus, running it could possibly be blocking whatever is needed to complete the installation. I would suggest if you try another re-install, turn these things off while you are doing the install.

Don't know :huh: but,

I'm getting the "network error occured while attempting to read from the file-

D:\27b20.msi"

when I added Media Import through Add/Remove Programs and rebooted...EMC 8.5 couldn't read it's own CD.

The file is on the CD. I even "browsed" to it. LOL still get the error loop.

I uninstalled the whole shmear, but now I see the updater for Roxio Icon is still in the Control Panel!

What a mess of a program... and it's been out since fall of 2005! You'd think they'd have the bugs worked out by now.

I'm on week one of my 30days to return it!

Sunny

I got the same problem like yours if I launch EMC * HOME, RecordNow Audio and RecordNow Data, the the program tries to read ""c4b69.msi". Since I saw others' suggestion from here I installed Windows Installer 3.1 ,then unstalled EMC 8 and installed again for 4 times. Guesst what? the problem is still the same. Also others say that it could be caused by antivirus or else. But my notebook didn't install these kind of programs yet. Now I am still asking the technical support but if they don't give us a solution, I will ask for refund. :)

Guest ivanatrox

uninstall... create a new user account with Administrator right... reinstalll in the new user account... test EMC 8 in the new user account

Ivan

I am having the exact same problem.... New Dell XPS M1710 Laptop, Win XP Pro SP2, T2500 2 GHz Duo-Core, 1 GB Memory

Archived