Sign in to follow this  
straman

AVI to DVD

Question

I am wanting to be able to burn an avi file about 700 mb to a dvd that I can watch on my dvd player. When I try to add the file to toast it says one movie is going to take over 4gigs? I haven't had a mac for very long and used to burn avi files to dvd all the time on my pc using convert x to dvd. I could burn 3-4 files of 700mb on one disc. Anyone have any suggestions. I would really like to be able to watch my movies from a DVD and it would be nice to be able to fit more than one file on a DVD.

3 answers to this question

What matters is the length (in time) of the video. Toast can fit over 3 hours of video to a single-layer DVD in the video DVD format (which is MPEG 2). Your AVI is much more highly compressed than is MPEG 2 video.

What I suggest is to choose the Automatic setting and then click Save as Disc Image. When the disc image is complete, choose it with the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your DVD. If the disc image turns out to be too large for a single-layer disc then Toast's Fit-to-DVD compression will make it fit. This results in very good quality as well.

If you have a DVD player that supports DivX playback you may be able to burn your AVI to DVD as a Data disc without requiring any encoding. Not all .avi's are DivX, however. Many are. In this case you could fit six 700 megabyte videos on one DVD. I'm not sure whether you should choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format or choose Mac & PC. It may not matter.

What matters is the length (in time) of the video. Toast can fit over 3 hours of video to a single-layer DVD in the video DVD format (which is MPEG 2). Your AVI is much more highly compressed than is MPEG 2 video.

What I suggest is to choose the Automatic setting and then click Save as Disc Image. When the disc image is complete, choose it with the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your DVD. If the disc image turns out to be too large for a single-layer disc then Toast's Fit-to-DVD compression will make it fit. This results in very good quality as well.

If you have a DVD player that supports DivX playback you may be able to burn your AVI to DVD as a Data disc without requiring any encoding. Not all .avi's are DivX, however. Many are. In this case you could fit six 700 megabyte videos on one DVD. I'm not sure whether you should choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format or choose Mac & PC. It may not matter.

I have not used this program very much so I am a little uncertain about your instructions. I added three of my avi files to the burn to dvd option. I then chose to save it as a disk image. I kept the encoding setting as automatic and saved it to my desktop. Toast is now in the process of converting and if I remember right it will take a while to do this. I am unclear about what to do with the disk image once it is finished. Would you mind helping me step by step from there? I would appreciate it.

I have tried this before and I used visualhub and would convert it to a vob file and then add it to toast. They would all fit but when I would play it would freeze up frequently on multiple dvd players. So long story short I am going to try this again. Thanks!

I have not used this program very much so I am a little uncertain about your instructions. I added three of my avi files to the burn to dvd option. I then chose to save it as a disk image. I kept the encoding setting as automatic and saved it to my desktop. Toast is now in the process of converting and if I remember right it will take a while to do this. I am unclear about what to do with the disk image once it is finished. Would you mind helping me step by step from there? I would appreciate it.

I have tried this before and I used visualhub and would convert it to a vob file and then add it to toast. They would all fit but when I would play it would freeze up frequently on multiple dvd players. So long story short I am going to try this again. Thanks!

Make sure you don't have more than about 3-1/2 hours of video among those three .avi's combined.

One reason that Toast cannot fit as much as some applications is that Toast can only encode at full resolution (such as 720x480 for NTSC). There are applications that can encode at lower resolutions (such as 360x240) which naturally takes much less space. However, it also means much lower picture quality. It is possible to use some other application to create a lower-resolution MPEG 2 video file and then add that to Toast in place of the .avi. Toast will use that file without re-encoding it so your result is a low-resolution video DVD that can have probably six hours of video on a disc.

When you choose save as disc image you will have a .toast file on your hard drive. Go to the Toast Copy window and choose Image File as the format. Then add the .toast file. Now click the burn button. As I mentioned, Toast can do some additional compression (called requantization) to fit the content to DVD. There are cases where the amount of compression needed exceeds what Toast can do. Let me know if that happens in your case because there are a couple ways to work with that assuming you're willing to burn to more than one DVD.