• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Virus on original Roxio install CD!

Where did you get it?I'd contact them and complain.

Where did I get my Easy CD and DVD Creator 6? Well, I don't remember from which retailer but it was a boxed retail package and it was made by Roxio, not by the retailer. This seems to be Roxio's problem - or perhaps a problem with Symantec, but that's yet to be seen.

If Roxio is not installing viruses on our PC's, they will certainly contact Symantec pretty fast and get Symantec to fix the virus definitions. If Roxio is intentionally installing trojans on our PCs, perhaps so that they can disable software they perceive to be illegally obtained (like Sony and its rootkits), then they won't be able to convince Symantec to change their virus definitions.

My copy, by the way, is legal, and has been registered in my name with Roxio for, if I remember right, about 5 years or so.

Ok,just checking.I'd contact Customer Service about this.This is just a users forum and we have no more power with Roxio than you do.Since it's an old product they might not do much but it's worth a shot.

Ok,just checking.I'd contact Customer Service about this.This is just a users forum and we have no more power with Roxio than you do.Since it's an old product they might not do much but it's worth a shot.

Well, an old product with a virus in it should get more priority than an old product that just isn't working any more.

I have put in an online ticket for this but it, like all the rest of them, will probably go unanswered - I was surprised while looking around the forums this morning that I am not the only one who gets no replies to simple questions from support and yet the tickets show closed.

I am just hoping that Sonic/Roxio responds responsibly and quickly to this issue. I just read a quote on WServerNews.com that states "If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room." I don't want to have to be that mosquito. :)

Well, an old product with a virus in it should get more priority than an old product that just isn't working any more.

I have put in an online ticket for this but it, like all the rest of them, will probably go unanswered - I was surprised while looking around the forums this morning that I am not the only one who gets no replies to simple questions from support and yet the tickets show closed.

I am just hoping that Sonic/Roxio responds responsibly and quickly to this issue. I just read a quote on WServerNews.com that states "If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room." I don't want to have to be that mosquito. :)

It is not an "old product" in that it is currently in production and you can buy it today from the Roxio Store… Granted it has not been updated in 2 years.

Assuming it is not an elaborate counterfeit (unlikely with a $60 product) what you are getting is a false positive from Norton. No Roxio product has ever shipped with a virus in it.

You have 2 options. Turn off Norton during install or call Roxio Support and have them confirm option One.

I think Terry was concerned that there are instances of free web downloads from sites that are really a front for virus ridden programs.

Assuming it is not an elaborate counterfeit (unlikely with a $60 product) what you are getting is a false positive from Norton. No Roxio product has ever shipped with a virus in it.

You have 2 options. Turn off Norton during install or call Roxio Support and have them confirm option One.

Pardon me for asking but there's nothing in your post to answer this question. Are you a Roxio support staff member? Is your statement that no Roxio product has ever shipped with a virus in it Roxio's official response to this or is it your opinion?

Turning off your anti-virus because it does its job - reporting viruses - does not make much sense. As a Microsoft Certified System Engineer, I would never recommend that to a client without confirmation of a false positive from a trusted source. Until I get an official response either from Roxio or from Symantec that convinces me otherwise, I have to assume that the report is valid.

As you can read from my posts, I have left open the possibility of a false positive from the beginning. Basically, I see two possibilities. Either Symantec has improved their virus definitions and engine and it has discovered a previously unidentified form of the Bloodhound virus or Symantec, in attempting to improve their definitions or engine, has introduced a false positive. Since I have owned this product for 5+ years and the CD hasn't changed, the change that suddenly caused the virus report has to come from Symantec. What's in question is whether that change was an improvement, and there is a virus, or the change was flawed, and there is no virus.

I am not jumping to conclusions but I will err on the side of safety until Roxio provides reasonable evidence that their software is safe to install.

Pardon me for asking but there's nothing in your post to answer this question. Are you a Roxio support staff member? Is your statement that no Roxio product has ever shipped with a virus in it Roxio's official response to this or is it your opinion?

Turning off your anti-virus because it does its job - reporting viruses - does not make much sense. As a Microsoft Certified System Engineer, I would never recommend that to a client without confirmation of a false positive from a trusted source. Until I get an official response either from Roxio or from Symantec that convinces me otherwise, I have to assume that the report is valid.

As you can read from my posts, I have left open the possibility of a false positive from the beginning. Basically, I see two possibilities. Either Symantec has improved their virus definitions and engine and it has discovered a previously unidentified form of the Bloodhound virus or Symantec, in attempting to improve their definitions or engine, has introduced a false positive. Since I have owned this product for 5+ years and the CD hasn't changed, the change that suddenly caused the virus report has to come from Symantec. What's in question is whether that change was an improvement, and there is a virus, or the change was flawed, and there is no virus.

I am not jumping to conclusions but I will err on the side of safety until Roxio provides reasonable evidence that their software is safe to install.

I am not employed by Roxio thus all statements are indeed, my opinion. My opinion is based on the experience I have gained on these boards during the past 5 years.

You say the disc has been in your possession for 5 years, although V6 was only issued 3 years ago, it is pretty obvious the problem is a false positive.

On Norton's site, Bloodhound is the name used by Norton to describe an unknown virus detected by its heuristic detection. (<<< not a clue!)

The key is the extension, for example "Bloodhound.Exploit.69". This one was discovered yesterday (5/20/06).

Assuming you have had the disc for 3 years, it is unlikely that it became infected while in your possession. It is just as unlikely that a virus has been on it for 3 years and you are the only one to discover it…

although V6 was only issued 3 years ago, it is pretty obvious the problem is a false positive.

Norton did the same thing when version 6 was released. There were post's all over the old boards reporting this. My Norton did the same when I installed v6. If you let Norton remove the entries it will break v6. IMO v6 was a festering pile of dog ____ to begin with!

cdanteek

Norton did the same thing when version 6 was released. There were post's all over the old boards reporting this. My Norton did the same when I installed v6. If you let Norton remove the entries it will break v6. IMO v6 was a festering pile of dog ____ to begin with!

cdanteek

I had V.6 briefly installed between ECDC 4 and ECDC 5. Among other problems, it seemed to feel its purpose in life was to install a CD collection on the Hard Drive ... with my 3.7GB HD, I wasn't tempted.

Lynn

I guess I'd be curious to see if anyone else's V6 disc showed up with the same thing on another machine with Norton loaded on it.I have V6 but not Norton,although I think I did have it when I had V6 installed and don't recall a problem.There must be a reason why the new virus def's are showing it as a virus.I'm guessing they are the new virus def's.So why,if they are new,are they just showing up from a product that's 2 or 3 yrs old.Hmmmmm,strange.Something for Roxio and Symantec to get straightened out.

Read hereSymantec's Bloodhound Technology

Bloodhound is a technology that was developed by Symantec. It has the ability to detect various types of viral activity using heuristic algorithms. (techno mumbo jumbo for "symptom search") Think of it like going to the doctor - you may have a symptom like red spots on your back. It could be measles, allergies, or just mosquito bites. The doctor knows its not normal and by asking a few questions can get a better idea of whether or not its serious and how to treat it.

Bloodhound works in much the same way, sniffing around looking for something that isn't quite right. Sometimes what it finds is no big deal, but usually its something harmful and sometimes it is extremely serious for your computer

I'd suggest you give Nortons Antivirus the flick - it is giving false alarms and telling you that version 6 is a virus.

I'd suggest you give Nortons Antivirus the flick

That's what I did. If you have Norton System Works, and I remember right it gave 30 or 40 registry entries to fix. That broke v6 too.

cdanteek

Archived