• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sony DVD-92 video to PC

bostondriver

Question

Hi,

I just orderd Easy Media Creator 8 (as an upgrade to the basic Roxio SW which came with my Plextor PX-716UF). I'm looking on these forums for some ideas to solve a problem until I can "try for myself and see".

I have a Sony DVD-92 camcorder, which ONLY records to mini-DVD. DVD-R disks came with the unit. (I'll check if DVD+R is supported when I can find the manual again.) There is no USB connection, nor is there any facility for moving video to PC. In fact, the manual explicitly said that the sections in the manual that talking about using a PC isn't supported. I want to be able to take video from the camcorder and play it both on the PC and also burn copies to DVD for playing on TV.

The DVR-R movies that I make with the camcorder, after finalizing, work just fine in my PC and Sony DVD player for the TV. When I copy the contents of the dvd-r to my PC, I can play the files in the VIDEO_TS directory. What I can't seem to do, at least with the SW that came with the Plextor DVD is create a copy of the disk, to play on TV (via traditional Sony DVD player) so I can keep the original safe.

In time, the ultimate goal is to take 4 of these 30 min mini-DVD disks and make just one 120 min DVD.

Note: The mini-DVD is DVD-R and what I'm using (because I had them, and I use them for data) is DVD+R. But I figured since the video is now on the PC, it shouldn't matter what format I try to burn to. Is this my first mistake?

I able to copy store bought DVD movies (for 4 year olds) to DVD+R and play them on TV. So the TV's DVD player seems to support DVD+R. I used "disk to disk" copy in this case however.

Will I be able to use Easy Media Creator 8 to do what I want?

Should I be able to with the SW that I have now so I don't have to wait for emc 8 to arrive in the mail?

And advice, pointers to things to read etc. are greatly appriciated.

Thanks

BD

12 answers to this question

In time, the ultimate goal is to take 4 of these 30 min mini-DVD disks and make just one 120 min DVD.
Use Media Import to 'capture' the miniDVDs to individual MPEG files on the hard drive. You can then edit the files with Videowave and then create a standard DVD with MyDVD.

Use Media Import to 'capture' the miniDVDs to individual MPEG files on the hard drive. You can then edit the files with Videowave and then create a standard DVD with MyDVD.

Thanks. Does all this (media import, videowave etc.) come wiht EMC 8, or will I need to buy a few more things? My copy of EMC 8 is "in the mail" so I can't see for myself. Looking at the other sections of this forum, I believe so, but it can't hurt to check. I've got a week to order more SW before I'll be back home and have a chance to play again.

Given the current SW that I got from Plextor (Easy CD Creator Basic) and some Plextor tools, I'll have to check for "media import" applications. It might give me a chance to play with this tonight.

If you purchased Easy Media Creator 8 Standard or Deluxe version, everything you need is included.

Thanks. I didn't know about the deluxe version. I'm trying to cancel my current order now to get the deluxe version (which comes with the usb capture device).

I have an old PIII Dell Precision Workstation that has a Haupaugue(sp) Video Capture (aka WinTV) that I've been using until now, along with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. It is a PITA to transfer from that to this laptop. I guess today is the day I crawl into the 21st Century!

The Dazzle requires a USB 2 port. Make sure the laptop has USB2 if you plan on capturing. Also the Dazzle has issues with VIA USB chipsets and even with some Intel chips. The Dazzle is a Pinnacle product.

What make/model of laptop? You'll need a fairly fast laptop to capture DVD quality video.

The Dazzle requires a USB 2 port. Make sure the laptop has USB2 if you plan on capturing. Also the Dazzle has issues with VIA USB chipsets and even with some Intel chips. The Dazzle is a Pinnacle product.

What make/model of laptop? You'll need a fairly fast laptop to capture DVD quality video.

Also you can use a firewire (1394) cable and port on your pc if you have one, and the cable directly into the dvi slot on you video cam, this will let media import see what you are playing on the cam, then all you need to do is hit save or record on media import.

Here is a gide below if this helps

Great graphics and clearly written, but the Sony DVD92 does not have firewire. In fact, some of the miniDVD camcorders don't have USB either. I quick search of Sony site, I got this from the camcorder's manual:

The OP has no other option, but to import from the disc.

post-49-1148271822.jpg

Great graphics and clearly written, but the Sony DVD92 does not have firewire. In fact, some of the miniDVD camcorders don't have USB either. I quick search of Sony site, I got this from the camcorder's manual:

The OP has no other option, but to import from the disc.

Bummer, but it was worth a shot

I have an IBM Thinkpad R51, but that is owned by the company, so I keep personal use down to a minimum.

I have a 2 year old Dell - I forget the model at the moment - from memory it is a 1.4Mhz Pentium M.

I'm not too sure about the using the Dazzle with the Dell 1.4Ghz Pentium M. Of course, it wouldn't hurt anything to try. Double check the Dell's specs to see if it has USB2 ports. If it's only 2 yr old, it probably does. Let us know how things work out when you get EMC 8 Deluxe.

I'm not too sure about the using the Dazzle with the Dell 1.4Ghz Pentium M. Of course, it wouldn't hurt anything to try. Double check the Dell's specs to see if it has USB2 ports. If it's only 2 yr old, it probably does. Let us know how things work out when you get EMC 8 Deluxe.

I know both the Thinkpad and the Dell have USB2 ports. I am worried about the CPU power though, and the lack of SCSI disks though. Both are EIDE, not SATA let alone SCSI.

I keep looking for an excuse to get a new workstation though. This might just be it.

Both of my internal drives are ATA100 and I can capture without dropping frames. My old Gateway had a P4 running at 1.5Ghz and I was able to capture from my digital camcorder via firewire. It only dropped a frame every now and then. Analog capture via USB will most likely need a 2Ghz processor or faster.

Check the Pinnacle Systems website to see what they consider is the minium requirements. I haven't checked that yet.

Archived