Goombay

Error Messages

Question

When I am trying to burn DVD I sometimes get the following:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = Medium Error

Sense Code = oxoc

Write Error

Any thought as to what is causing this error?

Thanks in advance

Steve

4 answers to this question

This indicates that the firmware of your DVD drive doesn't like the brand or formulation of media you are using. Insert one of your discs and choose Disc Info from the Recorder menu. There you'll see a link to a Web site where users report their experience with different discs. My guess is you'll find that yours are not highly rated. There is a huge problem with poor quality media. I recommend Verbatim discs as they rarely are a problem.

I tried again with another blank Sony DVD and got the following message at 99% verified:

Sector 2225504 is unreadable. Verification failed. Do I have a bad batch of blank DVDs???

I tried again with another blank Sony DVD and got the following message at 99% verified:

Sector 2225504 is unreadable. Verification failed. Do I have a bad batch of blank DVDs???

There are a variety of possible reasons for a verification error and it may be that nothing is wrong with the burned disc. The most reliable way to burn discs is to first choose Save as Disc Image (in the File menu) instead of clicking the burn button, and then burn that file to DVD using the Image File setting. You also can choose a slower burn speed than "Best". Don't choose a burn speed until after a disc is inserted and recognized.

If you continue to have problems you might try a laser-cleaning disc.