Not recognizing CDs for song titles, etc

For some reason, when I put in a new CD to copy songs to my computer, it is no longer recognizing them... In other words, I don't get a song list or the title of the CD or anything. It plays them OK, but only as "song 1" and so forth.

I reinstalled and that didn't do anything. Is this a firewall problem or something? Does the program have to access the internet to get this information?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

It definately has to access an online database to get the titles of the songs.It matches data from the tracks to access an online database to find a match for the CD to get the titles.Check your options to make sure you are allowing online access and that it's actually trying to go out and get the titles.If you use Windows Media Player try loading the CD using it to see if it retrieves the titles.

It definately has to access an online database to get the titles of the songs.It matches data from the tracks to access an online database to find a match for the CD to get the titles.Check your options to make sure you are allowing online access and that it's actually trying to go out and get the titles.If you use Windows Media Player try loading the CD using it to see if it retrieves the titles.

This is assuming it is a commercial CD. If it is one you put together yourself, and the tracks have been separated from the original CD, there wouldn't be anything to identify the individual tracks. The online databases work by checking the length of all the tracks, and comparing it to the database and seeking a match. The individual tracks aren't recognized as such.

Lynn

Thanks for the advice.

Options is set for "automatically look up..."

I put in store-bought CDs and they play just fine, and I get "track one" and so on, with no designation for the songs. Windows Media Player finds it prefectly, and identifies the songs.

If I click on "Get CD info" under "file" I get an "internal error" message saying "the object requested was not in the local cache." I have no idea what that means.

Something must be set incorrectly but I can't figure out what.

"the object requested was not in the local cache" translates roughly as "the data isn't downloaded on the computer where I can find it".

Does your firewall allow Roxio to call out?

Lynn

That was it; found out how to adjust the firewall and now everything works. Thanks for the help!

Archived