EZ CD Creator 5 & Windows XP Boot up problem

Hi, I really don't know what to do. I just tried to install Roxio EZ CD Creator 5 on my other computer which has Windows XP Home edition on it. I've used this same version on Roxio on another computer with XP on it so I thought it was safe to install even though the message popped up that it wasn't compatible. I went through the installation process with no problems/errors. It said to restart the system and when it did, it wouldn't boot up at all. It gets stuck on the Windows XP logo screen where the bar is suppose to be scrolling, but doesn't. I tried Safe Mode and that won't work either. My computer was absolutely fine until this just happened. What can I do to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I really don't know what to do. I just tried to install Roxio EZ CD Creator 5 on my other computer which has Windows XP Home edition on it. I've used this same version on Roxio on another computer with XP on it so I thought it was safe to install even though the message popped up that it wasn't compatible. I went through the installation process with no problems/errors. It said to restart the system and when it did, it wouldn't boot up at all. It gets stuck on the Windows XP logo screen where the bar is suppose to be scrolling, but doesn't. I tried Safe Mode and that won't work either. My computer was absolutely fine until this just happened. What can I do to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Read this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=32401 it may help you.

Thanks for the effort, but that post would have helped me if only I'd seen it first. Luckily, I was able to get my computer to boot up using the "Last Known Good Configuration" method and then was able to uninstall Roxio to get rid of the the conflict. My computer is now back to normal and I have no intention on even attempting another install using this software even with the patch as described in that post. If it has the potential of messing up my boot.ini file again, I'm staying as far away as possible.

"and then was able to uninstall Roxio to get rid of the the conflict"

What was conflicting with what, Rockman? I don't know of any part of Easy CD Creator 5 which can even touch the boot.ini file.

Do you have Internet Explorer 7 or Media Player 11 installed? They would definitely stop Easy Cd Creator 5 from working.

The 'patch' mentioned in that post isn't to enable installation, it's just to allow newer drives to be recognized.

Regards,

Brendon

"and then was able to uninstall Roxio to get rid of the the conflict"

What was conflicting with what, Rockman? I don't know of any part of Easy CD Creator 5 which can even touch the boot.ini file.

Do you have Internet Explorer 7 or Media Player 11 installed? They would definitely stop Easy Cd Creator 5 from working.

The 'patch' mentioned in that post isn't to enable installation, it's just to allow newer drives to be recognized.

Regards,

Brendon

I really don't know what happened. I have IE8 and WMP 10 or 11, but I don't think either had anything to do with what happened to me. After I booted up using the "Last Known Good Configuration" option, it went through the boot process and I was able to log on. Then a message came up regarding a conflict having to do with DirectCD and Windows XP. That is probably what messed up the boot file. I was able to uninstall Roxio by going to Add/Remove programs and I haven't had any boot or other problems with my computer since then a few days ago. I really don't want to try reinstalling it again nor do I want to pay $100 for the current Roxio software. I guess I'll have to stick with the crap Nero that came with my drive.

Aaah, understood now.

You meant the driver conflict with the Direct CD driver messed up your boot sequence, rather than something changed your boot.ini file. If something changed boot.ini I don't think the "Last good config" would have saved you.

You could do a custom install, leaving out Direct CD, but with IE 8 installed you've burned your bridges on Easy Cd Creator 5. Your Nero will be a much newer version, so you're probably better to stick with that as you suggested.

Go well,

Brendon

Archived