• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
bearh8r

Low level distortion added by CD Spin Doctor

Question

I have been trying to get CD Spin Doctor to work properly for months. I have completely removed Toast 10 and Spin Doctor and reloaded the most recent versions from the Roxio Support site. Nothing seems to work.

I have been using the various work-arounds for marking and saving Spin Doctor files, and have been able to limp along OK. The latest issue that cropped up is some low-level distortion that Spin Doctor is adding to my recordings. At first, I suspected the preamp hooked to my turntable, so I tried recording in Sound Studio that came with my Mac. There is no distortion on these recordings. If I open the Sound Studio aiff file in Spin Doctor, the distortion magically appears, so I know that it is something to do with Spin Doctor.

The distortion is something like typical surface rumble, only louder. It can easily be heard during soft passages and in between cuts. As a matter of fact, you can actually hear the audio signal breaking up slightly. Using the Spin Doctor filters does not clear up the distortion.

Any idea what is going on?

I am running OS 10.5.7 on a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

19 answers to this question

Does it appear in the magnified wave form? Does it appear in the exported audio file after using Spin Doctor? I'm just trying to determine if this is a distortion that is actually in the audio file after opening Spin Doctor or if Spin Doctor is somehow distorting play back without actually doing anything to the file. I'm going to be on the road for several days and won't have an opportunity to look into this on my system for awhile. It makes no sense to me that Spin Doctor can do anything to a file recorded using Sound Studio until you actually apply the filters.

When I listen to a cut imported via Sound Studio, there is absolutely no distortion, other than typical record noise. I can open a Sound Studio cut and play it in Spin Doctor without the distortion. Once I save the file in Spin Doctor, it adds the distortion. The distortion is apparent in both the filtered and unfiltered versions. You can still hear the distortion when Spin Doctor cuts are exported to and played in iTunes.

When I play a cut in Sound Studio that was edited in Spin Doctor, the "added" distortion is very apparent.

It is fairly low level, and sounds like the music is breaking up (slightly). The weird thing for me is that I didn't have a problem with earlier versions of Spin Doctor (other than all the other known problems). It appears that they have fixed some problems and (for me) created another.

I should also mention that I have had issues with Spin Doctor crashing. In an effort to troubleshoot this issue, I tried to see if the distortion appeared on older tracks I imported via CD Spin Doctor. I tried to open some of these earlier files created by one of the earlier versions, and they don't appear to work well. In fact, the system crashes quite often. In short, the system is pretty unstable.

Edited by bearh8r

When I listen to a cut imported via Sound Studio, there is absolutely no distortion, other than typical record noise. I can open a Sound Studio cut and play it in Spin Doctor without the distortion. Once I save the file in Spin Doctor, it adds the distortion. The distortion is apparent in both the filtered and unfiltered versions. You can still hear the distortion when Spin Doctor cuts are exported to and played in iTunes.

When I play a cut in Sound Studio that was edited in Spin Doctor, the "added" distortion is very apparent.

It is fairly low level, and sounds like the music is breaking up (slightly). The weird thing for me is that I didn't have a problem with earlier versions of Spin Doctor (other than all the other known problems). It appears that they have fixed some problems and (for me) created another.

I should also mention that I have had issues with Spin Doctor crashing. In an effort to troubleshoot this issue, I tried to see if the distortion appeared on older tracks I imported via CD Spin Doctor. I tried to open some of these earlier files created by one of the earlier versions, and they don't appear to work well. In fact, the system crashes quite often. In short, the system is pretty unstable.

This is troubling news and I need to work on some files myself to find out if it is the same here. I don't have Sound Studio but I understand that you mention it just to make the point that it doesn't matter about the source for the audio file. I suggest you also submit a support ticket with Roxio. Don't mention Sound Studio but do mention that you've tried files from other sources. For example, do a test with an .aiff file imported from a commercial audio CD. Choosing a classical track may make the distortion more noticeable in the low-level segments.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks for trying to help me with this. I started a ticket with Roxio. So far, they have been virtually no help. This time, they suggested that I remove the files in the Quicktime Library folder, which I did. It only made the problem worse by adding hiss to the distortion.

Their next suggestion was for me to download the latest version of Toast 10, which I had already done two times before. They are no help at all.

Edited by bearh8r

Thanks for trying to help me with this. I started a ticket with Roxio. So far, they have been virtually no help. This time, they suggested that I remove the files in the Quicktime Library folder, which I did. It only made the problem worse by adding hiss to the distortion.

Their next suggestion was for me to download the latest version of Toast 10, which I had already done two times before. They are no help at all.

So far I've done two different tests and neither is adding any noise. One was to use the CDSD audio capture to record a CD I was playing with QuickTime player. The other was to import an .aif track I ripped from the audio CD. The music was a low-level solo piano. CDSD didn't add any noise to these. I haven't yet tried using an analog source. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

What I'm beginning to suspect is there is something installed on your Mac that is interacting with CDSD. I recall when CDSD was very temperamental about third-party VST plugins. Maybe there is a VST plugin that's triggering the issue.

Any idea how I identify that offending VST plug-in? I searched my hard drive for plugins and I found several Microsoft plugins (can I assume that they are not the culprits?), a Silverlight plugin, something called a Flash Player plugin, a Flip4Mac WMV plugin, and AdobePDFViewer plugin, a Move-Media-Player plugin, a QuickTime Plugin, and finally, two different coupon printer plugins. Those pretty much took me back to the beginning of 2009. Do any of those sound suspicious?

Edited by bearh8r

Any idea how I identify that offending VST plug-in? I searched my hard drive for plugins and I found several Microsoft plugins (can I assume that they are not the culprits?), a Silverlight plugin, something called a Flash Player plugin, a Flip4Mac WMV plugin, and AdobePDFViewer plugin, a Move-Media-Player plugin, a QuickTime Plugin, and finally, two different coupon printer plugins. Those pretty much took me back to the beginning of 2009. Do any of those sound suspicious?

The plugins I'm referring to are in the Audio>Plugins>VST folder inside your root and/or user libraries. The usual troubleshooting step is to temporarily remove any third-party plugins and test to see if it makes any difference. If it does make a difference, start putting them back until you find the one causing the problem.

The plugins you mention are probably in your QuickTime library. I haven't heard of a Movie-Media-Player plugin before. You might try pulling it out to see if that is doing something.

The plugins I'm referring to are in the Audio>Plugins>VST folder inside your root and/or user libraries. The usual troubleshooting step is to temporarily remove any third-party plugins and test to see if it makes any difference. If it does make a difference, start putting them back until you find the one causing the problem.

The plugins you mention are probably in your QuickTime library. I haven't heard of a Movie-Media-Player plugin before. You might try pulling it out to see if that is doing something.

You could be on to something with this plug-in theory. While I did not have any plug-ins in the VST folders, I did find a number of them in the MacintoshHD\Library\Internet Plug-Ins folder. When I moved all of them to a folder on my desktop, I went back into CDSD, recorded a relatively soft passage from one song, and then played it back for evaluation. As was the case in prior attempts, before I saved the file, there was absolutely no distortion. When I saved it and played it back, that file had distortion, but it was markedly less than before moving the Internet plug-ins.

I did a search for other plug-ins located on my system, and found a number of them scattered in a variety of folders. For instance, there is an iSightAudio plug-in located in MacintoshHD\Applications\CanoScan Toolbox 4.1\HAL. The CanoScan Toolbox was for an old scanner that I don't even use any more. I did not try moving it to my desktop folder yet.

Should I keep going with the plug-in removal process? The distortion has lessened by 60-70%, but it is still audible. Thanks so much for your help.

By the way, here is the latest suggestion from Roxio. Should I go through the trouble of following these directions? The repair permissions thing has never worked. I have tried it a dozen times. I have not gone so far as to create a new user.

Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

To fix that, follow these steps:

1.Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/).

2.Select your Startup Disk from the device list.

3.Click the Repair Permissions button.

4.After the repair routine is finished, quit Disk Utility.

5.Restart the computer.

I would like you to try something, just as a test.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa....5/en/8235.html

After creating the new user, you can log in with the new user and test CD Spin Doctor from the new user.

Edited by bearh8r

I would like you to try something, just as a test.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa....5/en/8235.html

After creating the new user, you can log in with the new user and test CD Spin Doctor from the new user.

Given what you've learned so far, this may be promising. It means you'll have a new user Library.

I created the new account. The ultimate result was better, but there still is some added noise once I save the file. The noise is not present when I play the track prior to saving it. Not sure what to do now.

I created the new account. The ultimate result was better, but there still is some added noise once I save the file. The noise is not present when I play the track prior to saving it. Not sure what to do now.

I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas for what could be doing this. If you don't save the file and export the tracks (such as send to Toast) is there any noise added? What settings are you using for capturing the audio?

I recorded a 30 snippet of a fairly quiet song so I could listen for the distortion. Prior to saving it, I sent it to Toast. It played fine without the typical added distortion. I saved it in Toast 10, closed down Toast, re-opened Toast, pulled up the test track and it played without distortion. Obviously, this would be a workaround, but I need the ability to split tracks, edit the starts and ends, and apply filters; all normal functions within CD Spin Doctor.

As for audio capture settings: Recording Quality (CD Quality), Sample Rate (44100 Hz), Bits Per Channel (16 bits), Channels (2-stereo), Data Format (Linear PCM, 8 bit big-endian signed integer). Are there any other settings that I should look at?

FYI - reinstalled the Audio Capture Support, and got an error message that read, "The system extension /system/library/extension/CDSD Audio Capture Support.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling or contact the product's vendor." Also, I upgraded to Snow Leopard recently, but that appears to have no affect on my CDSD problems.

The latest step I have taken with Roxio Support is to send them my iMac Profiler info. I also sent them a sample track so they could hear the distortion themselves. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

Edited by bearh8r

I recorded a 30 snippet of a fairly quiet song so I could listen for the distortion. Prior to saving it, I sent it to Toast. It played fine without the typical added distortion. I saved it in Toast 10, closed down Toast, re-opened Toast, pulled up the test track and it played without distortion. Obviously, this would be a workaround, but I need the ability to split tracks, edit the starts and ends, and apply filters; all normal functions within CD Spin Doctor.

As for audio capture settings: Recording Quality (CD Quality), Sample Rate (44100 Hz), Bits Per Channel (16 bits), Channels (2-stereo), Data Format (Linear PCM, 8 bit big-endian signed integer). Are there any other settings that I should look at?

FYI - reinstalled the Audio Capture Support, and got an error message that read, "The system extension /system/library/extension/CDSD Audio Capture Support.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling or contact the product's vendor." Also, I upgraded to Snow Leopard recently, but that appears to have no affect on my CDSD problems.

The latest step I have taken with Roxio Support is to send them my iMac Profiler info. I also sent them a sample track so they could hear the distortion themselves. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

The audio capture support isn't working in Snow Leopard.

After saving the file via Toast have you tried opening that saved file in Spin Doctor and worked on that file? Obviously if the noise appears this is something for which there is no workaround. I don't know what is the cause. Is there any USB or Firewire audio devices connected to your Mac? If so, you might try disconnecting them.

I think I am running out of options. I can send an unsaved cut to Toast, but when I shut down Toast 10 and try to open the Toast disc file that I saved, I get the following message: "The file "CDSDScratchTempFile.caf" couldn't be found. Would you like to look for it?" When I make a Toast disc file from iTunes tracks, I don't get this message.

Also, I guess that I can't figure out how to open a Toast file in CDSD. When I do an "Open With" on the Toast file, CDSD is not even an option.

As for USB devices, I have a Harmon-Kardon speaker system, the MAC keyboard, an Epson printer, an iPod cable, and that's about it. On the FireWire ports, I have a 1TB external hard drive on one and a 250GB external hard drive on another.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Roxio. Thanks again for trying to help.

I think I am running out of options. I can send an unsaved cut to Toast, but when I shut down Toast 10 and try to open the Toast disc file that I saved, I get the following message: "The file "CDSDScratchTempFile.caf" couldn't be found. Would you like to look for it?" When I make a Toast disc file from iTunes tracks, I don't get this message.

Also, I guess that I can't figure out how to open a Toast file in CDSD. When I do an "Open With" on the Toast file, CDSD is not even an option.

As for USB devices, I have a Harmon-Kardon speaker system, the MAC keyboard, an Epson printer, an iPod cable, and that's about it. On the FireWire ports, I have a 1TB external hard drive on one and a 250GB external hard drive on another.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Roxio. Thanks again for trying to help.

None of those devices would be an issue although you could try disconnecting the speaker system just in case.

Here's an easy approach to save and reimport the recorded audio file. Create a track of the entire file in Spin Doctor. Then drag that track from the track list to your desktop. The AIFF file will be created on your desktop. Control-click on that file and choose Open with... CD Spin Doctor. See if working with this copy solves the noise problem.

Very interesting. I did what you suggested. I recorded about 45 seconds of a soft track, named the track, and dragged it to my desktop. I then closed CDSD and did an "Open With" of the file using CDSD. When it opened, there was no added noise. Do you think there is some way that I can edit the starts, ends, and filter a track and save it this way?

Very interesting. I did what you suggested. I recorded about 45 seconds of a soft track, named the track, and dragged it to my desktop. I then closed CDSD and did an "Open With" of the file using CDSD. When it opened, there was no added noise. Do you think there is some way that I can edit the starts, ends, and filter a track and save it this way?

What I am thinking is to first save the entire recording that way, open it from the desktop in Spin Doctor and then do the individual track marking and apply filters to that file. If the noise appears again after applying the filters then I remain stumped about what to do.

I have only just joined the forum - please forgive me if you have already found a solution to the above problem.

I have been experiencing exactly the same problem (also using Snow Leopard) and think I have found a solution!

Audio imported into CD Spin Doctor seems to play fine at first - UNTIL you save your file. Then you get that awful hissing over your audio, and it's still distorted even after you've sent to Toast or iTunes.

I identified that the file is in some way damaged in the saving process. Here is my solution:

- After recording into CD Spin Doctor, and after your waveform has been generated, Save (or Save As).

- In the dialogue box you can change the File Format and the Data Format. Leave the File Format as it is, but change the Data Format to 'Linear PCM 16 bit' (as opposed to the default of 8 bit)

- On running a few tests, it seems that when a file is saved in the 8 bit format, it plays back with a background hiss. Select a higher value (16, 24 or 32 bit) to get a clean playback.

- NB: unfortunately it seems that, once a file has been saved as 8 bit, it cannot be restored to play without hiss; so any older files you've saved as 8 bit are distorted forever.

I hope this works for you. Good luck!