• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rriehl71

How much on one DVD?

Question

I have a bunch of 30 minute shows that I would like to add to DVD. I have already captured them onto my PC and each program is about 6GB. How many can I fit on one DVD at a decent picture quality?

Thank you!

14 answers to this question

At 'best' quality, you can get about one hour. Sounds like you captured the shows using AVI files.

Yes I did capture via AVI.. should I have captured in some other format?

At "BEST QUALITY" I can get about an hour. How about at a lesser quality? How 'bad' does the lower quality DVD's look?

Thanks!

Edited by rriehl71

Yes I did capture via AVI.. should I have captured in some other format?

At "BEST QUALITY" I can get about an hour. How about at a lesser quality? How 'bad' does the lower quality DVD's look?

Thanks!

That's a matter of opinion but you won't know till you try it. I've gotten to about 7.5 GB and still feel it's acceptable to me but you won't fit more than 2 hours on a DVD. Of course, if you have a DL burner, you can get more.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "DL" burner?

Sorry, it's a dual layer dvd burner. It allows DL discs to be used which hold about 8.5gb of info. So, you can hold up to 4 hours of video.

Ahhh.. Dual Layer ok. Now, if I burner a dual layer do you have to flip the DVD in the DVD player after it plays whatever is on the first side? Also, how would you label a DL disc?

Ahhh.. Dual Layer ok. Now, if I burner a dual layer do you have to flip the DVD in the DVD player after it plays whatever is on the first side? Also, how would you label a DL disc?

No, it's not something you 'flip'. The dvd has a second layer on which the information is written to. So, labeling is not a problem. It looks just like a regular dvd but costs more. Prices have been coming down and with Blue Ray coming out (you can google that) prices should drop even more.

Most longer commercial movies are on Double Layer DVDs, especially thos that are near 2 hours in length. You can notice the "switch-over" to the 2nd layer when the scene freezes for a second or two while playing the DVD on your DVD player.

Are there any compatibility issues with the dual layer discs and home dvd players?

Yes, I have an older and a newer dvd player and the older one either won't play my homemade dl discs or sputters and generally gives me trouble while my newer player works just fine.

What media type do most of you guys use for making DVD movies? -R or +R?

I use both, mostly +R as my laptop drive only accepts the plus.

For me, the type (- or +) isn't the issue. Just stay away from dirt cheap blank DVDs. I use nothing but Fuji that says Made in Japan on the label for my personal home movies I want to keep.

I do have a cheapie Playo (made in China) disc that I use for testing purposes. Amazingly they have worked fairly well so far and were cheap enough I don't care to toss them when I'm done testing.