DVD recording speed

robertg@robertg.com

Question

Hello,

I running Windows XP Pro with a NEC DVD ND-3550A recorder (firmware version 1.06 which is the latest update). My problem is that my burner will only read/write at 1.4 x speed. I am using Memorex DVD-R 16X 4.7 GB discs. This process is taking about an hour to read/write a home movies DVD. I also cannot record to a Memorex 4X DVD-RW 4.7 GB using this software. I am using the Disc Copier Program Portion. The other DVD copier program portion hangs at the end of the write process. It shows that the DVD was written (the green bar is all the way on the right) but it never seems to finalize the disc. I have to manually turn off the computer to get the disc out of the DVD recorder.

Help ! !

Thank you kindly,

Robert

robertg@robertg.com

19 answers to this question

That should reset to DMA mode if stuck in PIO. Check the Ide controller for the drive, properties advanced settings. If XP fails to write in DMA it resets to PIO. Try different media and or lower the write speed to 8x.

cdanteek

Hello,

I have tried all that and still get the same results.

I have noticed that under the Primary IDE Channel Properties it shows up as DMA if avalable but under the current transfer mode it shows up as PIO Mode. The device type is auto detect. My current read/write speed is 1.4X and that is the fastest speed possible.

Thanks

Robert

Hello,

I have noticed that under the Primary IDE Channel Properties it shows up as DMA if avalable but under the current transfer mode it shows up as PIO Mode. The device type is auto detect. My current read/write speed is 1.4X and that is the fastest speed possible.

Thanks

Robert

You need to check the Secondary, also. Unless you have SATA drives, your Primary should be your hard drive, and it should read Ultra DMA Mode 5. If it doesn't, you have a problem with your hard drive.

If you look on your Secondary IDE Channel, and see Ultra DMA Mode 5 for either of your devices, then your hard drive is connected there, and whoever built your computer, set it up incorrectly.

Hello,

Thanks

Robert

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows XP

The Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system enables DMA by default on most of the ATA or ATAPI (IDE) devices. To ensure system stability, however, PIO mode will be selected for DMA-capable devices under some circumstances. This article explains the reasons for an ATA or ATAPI device to be in PIO mode on systems running Windows XP.

PIO mode is enabled by default in the following situations:

• For ATAPI devices, except DVD and CD-R/RWW drives. Windows XP enables PIO by default on ATAPI tape drives, CD-ROM drives, and ATAPI removable drives such as magneto-optical (MO) drives. The user can, however, enable DMA on an ATAPI device through Device Manager, as described at the end of this article.

Windows XP enables DMA by default on ATAPI DVD and CD-RW/CD-R drives.

• For ATA or ATAPI devices that do not work properly in DMA mode. Compatibility testing at Microsoft has shown that enabling DMA on certain drives could cause data corruption or reduced system stability. There is no way for the user to enable DMA on these devices.

• For certain IDE chipsets that cause data corruption. For ATA or ATAPI devices using chipsets that are known to cause problems running in the DMA mode, Windows will enable PIO by default.

System manufacturers can override this default behavior by implementing the _GTM and _STM methods in the ACPI BIOS. Also, the user can enable DMA using the Device Manager.

• For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

If the mini-IDE driver for the device does not support stepping down transfer modes, or if the device is running UDMA mode 0, Windows XP will step down to PIO mode after encountering six or more CRC errors. In this case, a system reboot should restore the original DMA mode settings.

All CRC and timeout errors are logged in the system event log. These types of errors could be caused by improper mounting or improper cabling (for example, 40-pin instead of 80-pin cable). Or such errors could indicate imminent hardware failure, for example, in a hard drive or chipset.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."

If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

• Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

• Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

cdanteek

Hello,

OK I tried changing the Secondary IDE Channel Properties in the Current Transfer Mode box to DMA but it will not change to DMA. It seems to stay in PIO Mode. I even tried uninstalling the DVD drive but again it defaults to PIO Mode.

I even changed the the Transfer Mode to PIO Only and then tried changing it to DMA but it will not work. But it does read DMA if available but the box below that only seems to read PIO Mode.

thanks

Robert

Hello,

OK I tried changing the Secondary IDE Channel Properties in the Current Transfer Mode box to DMA but it will not change to DMA. It seems to stay in PIO Mode. I even tried uninstalling the DVD drive but again it defaults to PIO Mode.

I even changed the the Transfer Mode to PIO Only and then tried changing it to DMA but it will not work. But it does read DMA if available but the box below that only seems to read PIO Mode.

thanks

Robert

If the NEC won't read as Ultra DMA Mode 2, then either something is keeping it from doing it, or the drive is toast.

If you deleted the NEC from Device Manager, rebooted, checked again, and it was PIO mode, trash it.

Wait. lol. Try a new 80 wire, 40 pin cable, first.

Try a new 80 wire, 40 pin cable, first.

Try the 80 wire cable and make sure there seated.

Did this drive ever write normal? Have you flashed the firmware?

ND-3550A FW 1.06 is the newest. Did you follow NEC flashing procedure?

http://support.necsam.com/optical/download...readme.asp?ID=9

Is it master or slave on the secondary IDE channel?

Right click secondary IDE channel properties in device manager, driver, driver details. Is the driver system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys?

Try to read and write to different disc IMO Memorex are junk.

I own this drive and have no trouble. Is it in warranty?

cdanteek

Did this drive ever write normal? NO I JUST BOUGHT THIS NEW AND IT IS THE FIRST TIME I AM USING IT.

Have you flashed the firmware? YES TO 1.06

ND-3550A FW 1.06 is the newest. Did you follow NEC flashing procedure?

http://support.necsam.com/optical/download...readme.asp?ID=9

Is it master or slave on the secondary IDE channel? SLAVE ON THE SECONDARY

Right click secondary IDE channel properties in device manager, driver, driver details. Is the driver system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys? YES IT IS

Try to read and write to different disc IMO Memorex are junk. OK I WIL TRY THAT

I own this drive and have no trouble. Is it in warranty? YES ITS UNDER WARRANTY.

THANKS

ROBERT

cdanteek

Is it master or slave on the secondary IDE channel? SORRY IT IS THE MASER..NOT SECONDARY.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS CORRECT

THANKS

ROBERT

YES ITS UNDER WARRANTY.

Whats slave on the secondary and it should be stuck in PIO? Is Dma inabled on the primary IDE? Did you replace a drive with 3550a and did it write at faster x speed? If yes to the last answer and you tried the 80 wire IDE cable and reseated them. The drive seems to be the problem!

Purchasers of bare drives must obtain support from the distributor, wholesaler or retailer from which the unit was purchased.

Technical support

Email or call (916) 636-5785 (8am - 5pm PST).

http://support.necsam.com/Optical/

Is it a OEM or retail drive and where did you buy it?

cdanteek

Whats slave on the secondary and it should be stuck in PIO? I DON'T HAVE A SLAVE JUST THE MASTER

Is Dma inabled on the primary IDE? YES

Did you replace a drive with 3550a and did it write at faster x speed? I DID NOT HAVE A DVD WRITTER PRIOR TO THIS JUST A CD ROM DRIVE

If yes to the last answer and you tried the 80 wire IDE cable and reseated them. The drive seems to be the problem!

Purchasers of bare drives must obtain support from the distributor, wholesaler or retailer from which the unit was purchased. THANKS

Technical support

Email or call (916) 636-5785 (8am - 5pm PST).

http://support.necsam.com/Optical/

Is it a OEM or retail drive and where did you buy it? OEM AND DON'T LAUGH....EBAY

cdanteek

OEM AND DON'T LAUGH....EBAY

I won't, Newegg.com.

2 Day Sale

BenQ 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model DW1655 - OEM Original Price: $54.99

Instant Savings: -$15.00

$39.99

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Beige or Black IDE Model ND-3550A - OEM $34.99

Both are good the Benq is lacking Dual Layer support and needs new Firmware not there yet. The nec is good. I own both.

cdanteek

Hello,

I running Windows XP Pro with a NEC DVD ND-3550A recorder (firmware version 1.06 which is the latest update). My problem is that my burner will only read/write at 1.4 x speed. I am using Memorex DVD-R 16X 4.7 GB discs. This process is taking about an hour to read/write a home movies DVD. I also cannot record to a Memorex 4X DVD-RW 4.7 GB using this software. I am using the Disc Copier Program Portion. The other DVD copier program portion hangs at the end of the write process. It shows that the DVD was written (the green bar is all the way on the right) but it never seems to finalize the disc. I have to manually turn off the computer to get the disc out of the DVD recorder.

Help ! !

Thank you kindly,

Robert

robertg@robertg.com

Of course that shouldn't happen. Is there some other program that might be taking control of your burner? Look into device manager and make sure it's set correctly. You might try removing the device and rebooting and see how it's picked up again

Hello,

thanks

Robert

On the occasions that one of my DVD drives on secondary IDE channel dropped to PIO mode, and trying to change to DMA mode that way did not work, in device manager, right click on secondary IDE channel, click uninstall. Click OK on warning message. Reboot. Windows should find new device (secondary IDE channel) and install it; check the advanced settings tab again, if it says current mode is PIO, reset to DMA if availavble, restart, it should now show Ultra DMA mode 2.

Make a restore point before uninstalling, just in case, but it's worked twice for me.

You might try removing the device and rebooting and see how it's picked up again

That should reset to DMA mode if stuck in PIO. Check the Ide controller for the drive, properties advanced settings. If XP fails to write in DMA it resets to PIO. Try different media and or lower the write speed to 8x.

cdanteek

I won't, Newegg.com.

2 Day Sale

BenQ 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model DW1655 - OEM Original Price: $54.99

Instant Savings: -$15.00

$39.99

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Beige or Black IDE Model ND-3550A - OEM $34.99

Both are good the Benq is lacking Dual Layer support and needs new Firmware not there yet. The nec is good. I own both.

cdanteek

Just on the side: I thought getting Retail is better as you suggested in a response to another thread?

I would stick with a Retail version of Pioneer, BenQ, or Nec. New egg.com $40 to $50. I have four 16x burners but burn DVD's at 8 and 12x most often!

cdanteek

Just on the side: I thought getting Retail is better as you suggested in a response to another thread?

I have bought these OEM drives from Newegg. They are full Nec or BenQ firmware updateable. They bear the name Nec or BenQ, no frills on software cables or face plates. The names are not Mad Dog, LaCie, Iomagic, rebaged Nec or BenQ. Same as a Hard drives from Newegg, a bare drive in a antistatic bag. I have five of them in PC same same warranty as retail. Only difference you deal with newegg on a DOA drive and there great.

Do you see the difference?

cdanteek

I have bought these OEM drives from Newegg. They are full Nec or BenQ firmware updateable. They bear the name Nec or BenQ, no frills on software cables or face plates. The names are not Mad Dog, LaCie, Iomagic, rebaged Nec or BenQ. Same as a Hard drives from Newegg, a bare drive in a antistatic bag. I have five of them in PC same same warranty as retail. Only difference you deal with newegg on a DOA drive and there great.

Do you see the difference?

cdanteek

Don't have knowledge on this hence the question. I'm just confused when it comes to classifying a drive as OEM or Retail.

If I understand it right, you're saying that even though newegg classifies them or one of them (NEC, BenQ) as OEM, they have the full (original?) manufacturer's warranty and updateable with the (original?) manufacturer's firmware updates.

What is DOA?

Thanks for the explanation.

An OEM drive is usually just a bare drive.No cables,no software,as opposed to retail where you get the fancy packaging,usually a cable and some software.They're the same drives just no frills for the OEM.By DOA I think he means Dead on Arrival,a drive that doesn't work when you receive it.

On the occasions that one of my DVD drives on secondary IDE channel dropped to PIO mode, and trying to change to DMA mode that way did not work, in device manager, right click on secondary IDE channel, click uninstall. Click OK on warning message. Reboot. Windows should find new device (secondary IDE channel) and install it; check the advanced settings tab again, if it says current mode is PIO, reset to DMA if availavble, restart, it should now show Ultra DMA mode 2.

Make a restore point before uninstalling, just in case, but it's worked twice for me.

Good suggestion jeanrosenfeld.

I have never had DMA reset to PIO in 3 years on one machine. There's a problem if it does.

For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

but it's worked twice for me.

Bad media or over-speeding +R media I would suspect first. Next I would suspect the burner or system

problem feeding the data to it. A harder problem to trouble shoot.

cdanteek

Archived