• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
potiguar

"No mpeg2 compression" option?

Question

I realized most problems of frame dropping arise from the intensive cpu use during capture, so I was wondering if it wouldn't be easy to implement a "non-compression" capture mode? I'm sure a lot of users here would benefit from such option??

You see, sometimes we have a LOT of Hard Drive space available but not enough processor power to compress realtime, and we would be happy to spend some 50 gigabytes to capture non-compressed DV video. We can always encode it later using our preferred software, being sure no frame would be dropped...

If it's not so difficult to implement, I think it would be a great addition. Just my 2 cents.

1 answer to this question

I realized most problems of frame dropping arise from the intensive cpu use during capture, so I was wondering if it wouldn't be easy to implement a "non-compression" capture mode? I'm sure a lot of users here would benefit from such option??

You see, sometimes we have a LOT of Hard Drive space available but not enough processor power to compress realtime, and we would be happy to spend some 50 gigabytes to capture non-compressed DV video. We can always encode it later using our preferred software, being sure no frame would be dropped...

If it's not so difficult to implement, I think it would be a great addition. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Many people forget how many other programs they have running while trying to do video capture and how many junk files are on the computer. These just take up space and enough of them will slow down writing to the hard drive.