• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy DVD Copy 4

Yashmyn1

Question

I'm trying to convert hours of video recorded on mini-DVDs, so that I can burn the video on regular DVDs. So I'm trying to convert .vob, .ifo, and .bup files to .wmv, .avi, etc. files, which is what the salesperson at the store, said I'd be able to do. Can anybody HELP?

Here's more detailed information:

-Laptop computer is HP Pavilion (Entertainment series) with 3 GB memory.

-OS is Vista.

-At first, I tried to install full Easy DVD Copy 4 contents (which I understood meant using more disk space), but after approx. 20 minutes, I got a message that installation had been interrupted (I don't know why/how??), and it closed down. Then I later chose only the basic for-most-users installation option.

-Before getting the "There was an error reading the source file(s)." message that I described above, the software acts like it's actually capturing/converting the source files. After showing 2% or 7% complete, it goes to 100% complete. But then right after that is when the error message appears.

-The software is indeed able to VIEW the video on the mini-DVD: the opening image shot of each chapter of the video shows from within the software.

-The mini-DVDs have been finalized, and some protected, in the camcorder. But I was assured by the salesperson that this wouldn't be a problem at all.

I bought this yesterday, and I'd really like it to work. I've got about 10 hours of video to convert, and I was assured this would be simple. I've already used the selfserve.roxio.com service, and it seems like a bad joke. I've gotten two sets of advice: the first set was to disable all the Startup items, then try using the software again. (But I desperately did it. Of course, this did not help.) The second set of advice is to delete all temporary files! I get the sense that those people are not carefully reading the problem that I've described to them. PLEASE HELP ME.

Thank you.

Yashmyn

yashmyn@gmail.com

6 answers to this question

I'm trying to convert hours of video recorded on mini-DVDs, so that I can burn the video on regular DVDs. So I'm trying to convert .vob, .ifo, and .bup files to .wmv, .avi, etc. files, which is what the salesperson at the store, said I'd be able to do. Can anybody HELP?

Here's more detailed information:

-Laptop computer is HP Pavilion (Entertainment series) with 3 GB memory.

-OS is Vista.

-At first, I tried to install full Easy DVD Copy 4 contents (which I understood meant using more disk space), but after approx. 20 minutes, I got a message that installation had been interrupted (I don't know why/how??), and it closed down. Then I later chose only the basic for-most-users installation option.

-Before getting the "There was an error reading the source file(s)." message that I described above, the software acts like it's actually capturing/converting the source files. After showing 2% or 7% complete, it goes to 100% complete. But then right after that is when the error message appears.

-The software is indeed able to VIEW the video on the mini-DVD: the opening image shot of each chapter of the video shows from within the software.

-The mini-DVDs have been finalized, and some protected, in the camcorder. But I was assured by the salesperson that this wouldn't be a problem at all.

I bought this yesterday, and I'd really like it to work. I've got about 10 hours of video to convert, and I was assured this would be simple. I've already used the selfserve.roxio.com service, and it seems like a bad joke. I've gotten two sets of advice: the first set was to disable all the Startup items, then try using the software again. (But I desperately did it. Of course, this did not help.) The second set of advice is to delete all temporary files! I get the sense that those people are not carefully reading the problem that I've described to them. PLEASE HELP ME.

Thank you.

Yashmyn

yashmyn@gmail.com

Copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive and add the vob files from there to your project. Working directly from DVDs often leads to problems. I don't think you need to convert the video to any other format before burning to DVD. It is already in the correct DVD format. Also don't rely too much on information from the salesperson - most of them have propably never used it and all they know about it is whats on the box.

Did you shut down the anit-virus and firewall when you tried to install the full program? They often interupt the install and cause it to fail.

Copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive and add the vob files from there to your project. Working directly from DVDs often leads to problems. I don't think you need to convert the video to any other format before burning to DVD. It is already in the correct DVD format. Also don't rely too much on information from the salesperson - most of them have propably never used it and all they know about it is whats on the box.

Did you shut down the anit-virus and firewall when you tried to install the full program? They often interupt the install and cause it to fail.

Walt,

It's really good to encounter someone who cares about my problem. Tonight I will try what you suggest. I hope that it will be okay for me to post follow-up questions if I have them. Thank you.

Yashmyn

Walt,

It's really good to encounter someone who cares about my problem. Tonight I will try what you suggest. I hope that it will be okay for me to post follow-up questions if I have them. Thank you.

Yashmyn

Of course you can post follow up questions. I am sure that other users will jump in and help. Unfortunately not many posters here have your program which is really a cut-down, limited version of some "larger" packages.

Of course you can post follow up questions. I am sure that other users will jump in and help. Unfortunately not many posters here have your program which is really a cut-down, limited version of some "larger" packages.

That's it. Later for Roxio. One part of the software accesses a mini-DVD, and the next thing I know, that mini-DVD is somehow unreadable to another part of the software. I hope that the 2 discs that I subjected to Roxio before I figured this out, are not irrevocably messed-up for all other software packages. I'm uninstalling the software from my computer just as soon as a tech guy that I'm going to see tomorrow helps me try to confirm that I don't need to UNdo anything I've done to the discs with this software.

Thank you Walt for your assistance. It was helpful.

Are you available only for Roxio issues?

Yashmyn

That's it. Later for Roxio. One part of the software accesses a mini-DVD, and the next thing I know, that mini-DVD is somehow unreadable to another part of the software. I hope that the 2 discs that I subjected to Roxio before I figured this out, are not irrevocably messed-up for all other software packages. I'm uninstalling the software from my computer just as soon as a tech guy that I'm going to see tomorrow helps me try to confirm that I don't need to UNdo anything I've done to the discs with this software.

Thank you Walt for your assistance. It was helpful.

Are you available only for Roxio issues?

Yashmyn

No part of the software accesses the miniDVD unless you somehow tell it it to do so. Nothing in the software can do anything to the miniDVDs if they were finalized. There is nothing to "Undo".

Did you copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive?

No part of the software accesses the miniDVD unless you somehow tell it it to do so. Nothing in the software can do anything to the miniDVDs if they were finalized. There is nothing to "Undo".

Did you copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive?

Ugh. :-) I'm going through this only because you were kind enough to respond to my initial inquiry. Here goes. Yes, I copied the Video_TS folder to my hard drive. Still didn't work.

But then -- motivated, I guess, by the fact that I was no longer in this alone -- I tried a different approach. I hit the "Video Compilation" button (I think that's what it's called), the button just to the right of the button that I had been using (which I think was the "DVD Copy" button). So now it WAS recognizing the data on the hard drive. So I chose a file and converted it to a .wmv file. This in fact was also something I wanted the software for, intending to upload some things onto Internet and other things. So I am able to encode the 6-minute file. Great. Took approx. 25 minutes. But I was able to do it. But then later, when I try to copy the folder that this file was in, the software doesn't even recognize that it has files in it. All I see in the application box is something like "Browse for your contents" -- that is, it wasn't letting me go into the folder that in fact should still have had the contents.

I took a break from that. I then used a different button/function entirely -- the button that read just "Copy". But that requires that I put the underlying DVD in; this function wants to read from a DVD and seems to give no choice in the matter. When I put that same miniDVD in, after a few moments of hopeful sounds, the disc drive opened and the software gave the message that the content was unreadable from the source drive. This happened with another disc before I gave up.

So that's my story. I'll have to find something else. Something with fewer hurdles to leap to get to the easy part. I noticed your comment that not a lot of people are using this, and that it's basically a stripped-down version of a larger package. That must explain why I've seen fewer comments (complaints) about it than for other Roxio applications on the discussion group board.

Again, thank you. Hopefully I won't have to type as much into this type of a discussion group board ever again. :-)

Yashmyn

Archived