• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rewriting on a burned DVD

I "dragged" a small word document onto a Memorex DVD burner. I then accessed the DVD drive and clicked on the word document. It came up in word but when I made a change to the document and attempted to save it back to the DVD, a few moments passed and my computer (CPU) was turned OFF - completely OFF.

When I rebooted, I received a message "there was a system recovery from a serious error" with an error log writtem to a Docume~1 folder.

I'm running Creator 6 and to my knowledge I've never installed any updates.

What could have happened?

Paul

I "dragged" a small word document onto a Memorex DVD burner. I then accessed the DVD drive and clicked on the word document. It came up in word but when I made a change to the document and attempted to save it back to the DVD, a few moments passed and my computer (CPU) was turned OFF - completely OFF.

When I rebooted, I received a message "there was a system recovery from a serious error" with an error log writtem to a Docume~1 folder.

I'm running Creator 6 and to my knowledge I've never installed any updates.

What could have happened?

Paul

Which program are you attempting to use?

Did you use the same program to create the document?

What is the drive ID string (see FREQUENT ANSWERS post pinned to the top of the board)?

Lynn

I might be wrong about this but I don't believe you can make a change like that.That doc was already written to a dvd.You can't open it from the dvd,change it and then try "save".It can't write a changed document back on top of itself.You could open the doc,save to your desktop and then write the new file to the DVD,that is as long as it hasn't been closed.A DVD (or CD for that matter) can't write over a place that's already been written.

I might be wrong about this but I don't believe you can make a change like that.That doc was already written to a dvd.You can't open it from the dvd,change it and then try "save".It can't write a changed document back on top of itself.You could open the doc,save to your desktop and then write the new file to the DVD,that is as long as it hasn't been closed.A DVD (or CD for that matter) can't write over a place that's already been written.

Depends on if it is Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc), Terry.

Also depends on whether by "write to" he means Drag2Disc, or by using Classic Creator, or (as you and I suspect) mistaking a DVD/R or DVD/RW for a "great-big floppy-disc".

This mistake is often associated with RW media, even tho with both R and RW media nothing can be removed - "delete" only takes something from the TOC [Table of Contents] and no space is recovered - the difference being that RW media can be completely erased and reused (and will fade to blank on its own anyway, which is why it's best use is for testing things out).

Lynn

Archived