olefin

Nothing on disk and then Unknown Capture error

Question

Wow...It took me over 3 hours before it would accept my register before I could log on.

Toshiba Satelite M55 notebook

Intel Pen Processor 1.60Ghz

500 MB memory

Available HD, 57GB

XP Home SP 3

"Easy VHS to DVD" installation took longer than any program I've installed in 9 years.

Received an auto update after installation.

But after installation it seem very simple to use. Transferred my first VHS.. all look great while it was making the Capture, after I got to the end of the VHS, hit Finish. Look good until I tried to view the DVD-R, got this message..."Windows can't read disk, may be corrupt or unknown format".

Tried to make another DVD-R but this time I got this... "Unknown Capture error".

Rebooted, but still getting the same error. VHS player is working OK for I checked it on a monitor.

Hope I've supplied enough info for someone to give me suggestions. I haven't tried reinstall.

Thanks

Your PC specs are at the very bottom rung of the minimums needed to do video. Some might say they aren’t enough, but you may be able to squeak by provided you are willing to wait and wait…

Reading between the lines, it would appear you are trying to use Plug & Burn. It is a bad idea anytime, but with a minimal PC, it elevates to a very bad idea.

Stick with Capture then use either Edit (if needed) or Create DVD to do your burn with.

You need to try the DVD you burned in a DVD Player. Then if it doesn’t work, put it in your PC and use Explorer to examine it. Should be a bunch of .IFO, BUP & VOB files in a folder called VIDEO_TS. Do you have that?

Also you will want to reboot your Lap and try another capture.

Your PC specs are at the very bottom rung of the minimums needed to do video.

Jim, I thank you for your help.

Strange, reading from the Roxio box, says my computer meets their requirements?

Reading between the lines, it would appear you are trying to use Plug & Burn.

Yes, I was following Roxio instructions.

Stick with Capture then use either Edit (if needed) or Create DVD to do your burn with.

Would you please give me some instruction on how to use Capture and burn? I tried Capture but it says it is for recording direct from a camcorder.

I wish to transfer my old VHS tapes to DVD and that is all. I no longer have a camcorder other that my Sonic digital still camera that can take video.

You need to try the DVD you burned in a DVD Player. Then if it doesn’t work, use Explorer to examine it.

In my TV DVD player it says the DVD is not readable.

In Explorer... I get the same Window message I posted.

Also you will want to reboot your Lap and try another capture.

You may have missed it but I said I had already tried rebooting.

But I tried rebooting again today and it started? Was looking OK, then I screwed up... forgot to disable Hibernate! So that fouled up that try.

Ok, I reboot and get a new DVD, (it ruins the DVD each time I try it, if only seconds). But this time I get the same "Unknown Capture Error".

I haven't mention it but several times it locks my computer on "Easy vhs to dvd is not responding".

So I'm back to where I was....maybe I'm too old for this sort of thing.

Appreciate your help.

Jim, I thank you for your help.

Strange, reading from the Roxio box, says my computer meets their requirements?

The minimum requirements listed, are a complete joke. They are good enough to burn a data disc, but they aren't anywhere near enough to do video work.

Jim,

I went to your instructions...I have the Easy vhs to dvd manual... it looks the same? I've never had a problem hooking it up to the VHS player.

Maybe I missed the point but I don't see anything different than what I been doing?

Once loaded and connected you should be able to use almost any capture software that can work with a USB Capture device. Here is Windows Movie Maker and it is happy with the device

Is this saying NOT use Easy vhs to dvd?

I'm going to try uninstall and if it doesn't work after that I'm returning for refund.

The minimum requirements listed, are a complete joke.
If you ask me, this software is a complete joke. Roxio should raise the requirements if it's necessary for the software to work. Not try to fool people in buying their product.

The difference is, mine works and yours does not :lol::D:lol: (sorry only kidding, couldn't pass that one up)

You are letting your frustration blind you. You need to step back and take a breath.

I have installed this (V2D) on 4 different PCs for testing. One and only one gave me fits getting the install to work but in all cases, once installed, it runs great!

Don’t try to twist or distort my words! If I had wanted to say don’t use this software I would have said that… I did not!

I often recommend using WMM (but XP only) as an independent test of the hardware & drivers.

I pointed you to 2 separate postings so that you can compare your drivers to a correct install. It is simple – bad driver install, never going to work, ever!

It appears you ignored that. Go back and double check everything. Since you have XP, try the WMM trick to see if it shows up and works there. (can you believe they removed that ability in Vista…)

The only other failing is not using a good USB port. I have more than one device that will not work unless plugged into a back port (tower)

My Laptop (Dell Mini 10) has 3, USB2 ports but states clearly in the manual that only one of them can supply power beyond a token amount. – check your specs! Otherwise your PC should be enough, abate, slow.

Oh one other thing – keep your connections as short as you can. One fellow couldn’t get a signal but finally mentioned he had a 10 meter (30+ feet!) cable connecting his capture device to a TV in another room!

Try those things and get back to us.

Jim,

I went to your instructions...I have the Easy vhs to dvd manual... it looks the same? I've never had a problem hooking it up to the VHS player.

Maybe I missed the point but I don't see anything different than what I been doing?

Is this saying NOT use Easy vhs to dvd?

I'm going to try uninstall and if it doesn't work after that I'm returning for refund.

If you ask me, this software is a complete joke. Roxio should raise the requirements if it's necessary for the software to work. Not try to fool people in buying their product.

I agree with you, on what Roxio should list as the minimum requirements, but your computer is good for burning data, and that's about it. The software is fine.

I did not understand what you mean by WMM?

I was not distorting your words nor did I mean it that way. Sometimes this 74 year old's witting is not clear, sorry that I upset you, sure didn't mean it.

The only other failing is not using a good USB port.

keep your connections as short as you can.

I tied different USB ports yesterday. Only have 2 ports, none in the back for it's a laptop.

I'm only using the cable that came with Roxio, I plug direct into the player.

Before I read your last post, I installed it on wife's new laptop. Hers has Vista, 2.4 GHz, 3 GB memory.

All went well with installation and it only took about 20 minutes. But it never asked to update the driver as it did when I installed it on mine?

Started the Capture but after a few minutes it stopped recording and I got this message.. "Signal Protected"?. I then would have to start recording again. Tried it several times but same happen. I finalized the DVD and tried it in the computer. It played OK, then tried it on my TV DVD player... got message "this DVD can't be viewed"?

Any suggestions about Signal Protected and why the DVD doesn't work in my player?

I’m 64, so we should be speaking the same language :lol:

For your wife’s Lap – you need to apply the SP2 update for this software. It fixes that problem for good!

For yours… WMM stands for Windows Movie Maker.

I suspect that the Drivers for the device are the problem and I have been trying to confirm that.

WMM in XP will capture with the device. Select capture and choose the 2861 device. If correctly install it will capture in WMM.

The device will show up even if it isn’t installed with the correct drivers, but it won’t work then.

Jim,

Since you are 64 I fully understand you. :lol:

I should have know what WMM stood for, since I use it quite often.

I installed SP-2.

This time I "Set Capture Length". For last night it was continually stopping after recording 5 minutes.

All went well, the DVD plays in both our computers but still does not play in our TV DVD player? So what now?

Jim,

Since you are 64 I fully understand you. :lol:

I should have know what WMM stood for, since I use it quite often.

I installed SP-2.

This time I "Set Capture Length". For last night it was continually stopping after recording 5 minutes.

All went well, the DVD plays in both our computers but still does not play in our TV DVD player? So what now?

That sounds more like the media. The Player doesn’t like what you put in the tray. Most of us pay the extra pennies and go with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Actually they are much cheaper than cheap brands because you don’t throw out rejects :lol: I think I mentioned getting some RW discs for learning/testing.

The SP2 should have stopped the capture problem. If you wouldn’t mind, capture again just letting it roll along on its’ own. You can delete the file later. Just something I want to test out.

Back when I bought the Samsung DVD player it was for bought movies. Has worked great for that purpose. Also have played home made DVD's that my daughter made.

Tried making another DVD. SP-2 has fixed the capture shutdown problem but DVD still doesn't play in my player?

Edited by olefin

Back when I bought the Samsung DVD player it was for bought movies. Has worked great for that purpose. Also have played home made DVD's that my daughter made.

Tried making another DVD. SP-2 has fixed the capture shutdown problem but DVD still doesn't play in my player?

See Post # 12.

I had forgot... I received a home made DVD last week from an old Air Force buddy. It also worked in my Samsung.

So you are saying the only way to get "Easy" Roxio to work is buy a Verbatim player?

Not that I'll be buying one but I searched for a Verbatim DVD player and found none. Found DVD's.

I had forgot... I received a home made DVD last week from an old Air Force buddy. It also worked in my Samsung.

So you are saying the only way to get "Easy" Roxio to work is buy a Verbatim player?

Not that I'll be buying one but I searched for a Verbatim DVD player and found none. Found DVD's.

NO such thing as a Verbatim Player... we are saying that it is most likely the MEDIA you are using. It is also the cheapest thing to test - buy a 5 pack.

NO such thing as a Verbatim Player... we are saying that it is most likely the MEDIA you are using. It is also the cheapest thing to test - buy a 5 pack.

Ok, I'm hearing you now.

So what are the best brands in case I don't find Verbatim local?

Most of us pay the extra pennies and go with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Actually they are much cheaper than cheap brands because you don’t throw out rejects :lol:

The Verbatim brand gave me the very same results as my "cheap" brand. :lol:

I had a hunch that would happen.

It was a test and had to be done.

Now – which PC did you use to make it?

Do they play in your PCs?

If you look at them with Win Explorer, is there a VIDEO_TS folder with BUP, IFO and VOB files in it?

Does it work in your computer, if yes try it in a friend/neighbor/co-worker's DVD player.

It was a test and had to be done.

Now – which PC did you use to make it?

Do they play in your PCs?

If you look at them with Win Explorer, is there a VIDEO_TS folder with BUP, IFO and VOB files in it?

Made in our only PC that Roxio works. Plays in either PC.

Screen shot:

DVD.jpg

Made in our only PC that Roxio works. Plays in either PC.

Screen shot:

DVD.jpg

Looks real good!

Rule of thumb – if a disc plays anywhere, there is nothing wrong with the burn…

That throws it back to your Player/Media…

Some older Players are particular about media. Some only work with ‘plus’ media and some only work with ‘dash’ media.

Take the disc for a walk. Try it on a friends DVD Player or what I used to do was go to an electronics store and tell them I am looking for a Player but it must play one of these and hand them the disc. (it’s a sleazy way to test it on several machines) Generally cheap Player are more tolerant then top of the line.

Another dumb question.

Jim, I been trying to use WMM but mine shows only the top tool bar that starts with 'File'? Your screen shot shows 2 toolbars. I went to 'View' but didn't see anyway to open the bar with 'Task'?

I'm not able to find anything about capture in WMM. Even in help it only gives the definition.

I would like to use it to capture and save part of a capture to my computer as a file.

My WMM is version 11.06001.7007

I now see you posted about my player.

I'll use your suggestion and go to Best Buy for a test.