Device in use although no disc in drive

Arch100

Trying to make copy of DVD in Roxio Creater DE installed on a Vista machine. The software seems to think the drive is in use by another application. Have tried to ID another program in task manager but don't see any conflicts. Have rebooted several times to try and free the device, does not work. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Trying to make copy of DVD in Roxio Creater DE installed on a Vista machine. The software seems to think the drive is in use by another application. Have tried to ID another program in task manager but don't see any conflicts. Have rebooted several times to try and free the device, does not work. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Look for a packet writing program and nuke it. Drag-2-Disc, InCD, Bluebird, and any other program that requires you to format a disc so you can easily drag file to the disc.

Did you try to use Vista's write to disc application and didn't write the files? They are still there; write them or delete them.

Still no luck identifying the program causing the problem with my dvd drive. Windows DVD Maker appears to be for creating new projects, not simply copying a DVD. Went in task manager and stopped media play, windows DVD Maker and still no luck. Is there not a way to ID any program associated with a specific drive? All suggestions are appriciated.

Still no luck identifying the program causing the problem with my dvd drive. Windows DVD Maker appears to be for creating new projects, not simply copying a DVD. Went in task manager and stopped media play, windows DVD Maker and still no luck. Is there not a way to ID any program associated with a specific drive? All suggestions are appriciated.

No packet writing software? No Windows copy to disc? Have you simply rebooted. Restart in safe mode to see if there is something in your OS that is causing the problem.

Open task manager and see what may be using your CPU time.

There may well be a packet writing program and I'm sure Windows DVD writer is installed. I'm such a novice user I don't know what to do other than look for those programs in task manager and stop them. It does not change Roxio from saying "in use by my name". I have stopped every program in task manager that remotely plays or reads DVD's. Any very basic steps that I might take to identify problem? Device manager does not see the problem. Knowledge base help has some examples that are close, but not exactly the problem I have. Help!!

There may well be a packet writing program and I'm sure Windows DVD writer is installed. I'm such a novice user I don't know what to do other than look for those programs in task manager and stop them. It does not change Roxio from saying "in use by my name". I have stopped every program in task manager that remotely plays or reads DVD's. Any very basic steps that I might take to identify problem? Device manager does not see the problem. Knowledge base help has some examples that are close, but not exactly the problem I have. Help!!

You have a OEM Dell Edition (OEM support is provided by Dell), you could try the Dell forum to see if any users on there are having the same problem that you are. You have nothing to lose.

Archived