• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

moving files

anon_private

Question

Hi,

I have used Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 to burn two directories to a CD-R - both contain files.

Unfortunately, one folder is now a subdirectory of the other (originally separate folders on the hard drive).

I want them as two independent folders on the CD-R. But can't see how to do this.

Can ayone help.

Thanks

A

16 answers to this question

That's "Creator Classic" in EMC 9. You do have Easy Media Creator 9, don't you [since you're posting here] ?? Try this in Creator Classic. It does work for a disc made by Creator Classic.

I don't think the dumbed-down Sonic module in the Home application will do what you want to do.

The amount of space required is because you have to write a new lead-out and lead-in each for each session that you write, and from memory that takes about 20MB for the first session, and 14.5 to 15 for subsequent sessions.

I do have Easy Media Creator 9.

I am lost - Creator Classic?

Sonic module?

Am I right in assuming that I cannot do what I proposed in Easy Media Creator 9 - as it stands?

Thanks

Hello A,

You don't need that very much space to do what you want done. About 17 to 20 MB spare should do it, the amount of overhead space that's used when you write a session.

You don't need to copy the files anywhere, all you're doing is writing a fresh set of indexes on the disc. Here's how it's done.

-Insert your disc with the one directory as a subdirectory of the other, and IMPORT the disc session.

post-208-1251072167.jpg

Right, here's the disc imported into your project, ready to go.

post-208-1251072221.jpg

-Now, click on the subdirectory [in my case it's the DATA directory] to get Windows' attention and click Control-X to CUT that subdirectory. The little yellow folder symbol should get paler.

-Now click on the Volume Name [in my case 090824_1149] so that you can only see the 'test' directory and windows is looking in the 'root' of the disc in your project.

-press Control-V to PASTE that cut directory back into the root.

Here's what your project should now look like

post-208-1251072484.jpg

Now click BURN, and burn your amended disc. This was what you wanted?

What has happened is that the files and directories have stayed in the same place on the disc, but you've burned a new index which shows the directories in the relationship you originally wanted.

Regards,

Brendon

Yup, I'm afraid so. :(

The whole info is in the first three lines of the 'About' box: Name, Version, and Build number. I'd be interested to know your build number.

However if you are missing Creator Classic you must have one of the cut-down 'OEM' versions, since all the retail versions have Classic. I'm sorry, in the olden days I'd say your version is handicapped but nowadays I have to call it 'differently abled'. [result is the same]

Hi,

I did get Roxio preinstalled when I bought the pc

Here is the info you asked for:

Roxio Creator DE

Version: 9.0.116

Build: 901B16J, DL2

Thanks for the advice

Ps. How did you manage to paste images on this page?

I don't see to have the same toolbar that you have in Roxio.

That's "Creator Classic" in EMC 9. You do have Easy Media Creator 9, don't you [since you're posting here] ?? Try this in Creator Classic. It does work for a disc made by Creator Classic.

I don't think the dumbed-down Sonic module in the Home application will do what you want to do.

The amount of space required is because you have to write a new lead-out and lead-in each for each session that you write, and from memory that takes about 20MB for the first session, and 14.5 to 15 for subsequent sessions.

I do have Easy Media Creator 9.

I am lost - Creator Classic?

Sonic module?

If you have Easy Media Creator 9, then you have Creator Classic. If you don't have Easy Media Creator 9, but instead have one of those cut-down OEM versions which are given away free with some computers and drives, then I can't say if you'll have anything useful in there. :(

Here is a screen clip from Easy Media Creator 9 [also called "Roxio Creator 9"] showing the "About this software" box which you access from the Help menu. You should check what version your "About" box shows.

Behind that box is the Sonic Copy module, called "Data Disc" in the menu. This is the one which doresn't have much in the way of capabilities. See "Creator Classic" shows as a menu choice over to the left?

post-208-1251598657.jpg

Now here is a screen shot of Creator Classic, when selected from that left-hand menu. I took the clip a few minutes ago.

post-208-1251598803.jpg

Am I right in assuming that I cannot do what I proposed in Easy Media Creator 9 - as it stands?

No. If you have Easy Media Creator 9 then you can use Creator Classic to do what you want the way I showed you earlier.

Yup, I'm afraid so. :(

The whole info is in the first three lines of the 'About' box: Name, Version, and Build number. I'd be interested to know your build number.

However if you are missing Creator Classic you must have one of the cut-down 'OEM' versions, since all the retail versions have Classic. I'm sorry, in the olden days I'd say your version is handicapped but nowadays I have to call it 'differently abled'. [result is the same]

Use Creator Classic and create a data disk. Go to the directory containing the desired folder and click on the desired folder and then click on on the ADD button. Repeat the process for the second desired folder.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I think you are saying that I need to create another disk. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Ps. If possible ,I would prefer to move the files (and directory) on the existing disk. Howver, it does have very little space left.

Yes, discs are cheap. If there is little space left, it is better if you start fresh.

How did you make the first disc? Did you drag the file to a formatted disc? If so , you used a packet writing piece of software. Many people agree that using packet writing is unreliable when you want to get the data back. Creator Classic is a session writing application where you can add more to the disc (after you import the previous session).

This is Optical Media and is a world of its’ own. Anything you know about files from using magnetic media has no value with Optical Media! :(

Optical media is like Pen & Paper. Once you write it, it is done…

But it also depends on HOW you wrote the media. If you Closed the disc, it is all over. If you left it open then it can be Appended

Pen & Paper analogy – Cross out the unwanted text and write it in a new place… It will look like it is gone but that space on the disc has been used and can not be recovered.

The above applies to all optical media, however if you used RW media you have one more option. It can be erased and reused.

But that means Completely Erased, everything all or nothing! And of course nothing is free, RW media wears out and will fail without notice. Likewise the dye used, fades over time. But it is great for temporay use and learning/testing!

Thanks to both for responding

I used CD-R and Roxio for burning. The Cd is still open, but with little space.

I don't have much space and not enough to copy the files from one directory to another.

Looks like I am going to have to put this one down to experience and start again, or leave it as it is.

I get the impression that I cannot somehow relabel so that I have two directories, rather than one directory and a subdirectory.

Thanks

A

Archived