• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Wolverana

Many Problems with loading things in Creator 2009

Question

Hiya,

I just purchased Roxio Creator 2009 this evening and have been trying to get some of the things to work and can't seem to figure out what's wrong. I've done a little searching on the forums and see the same issues and same answers as any help files or sites I've found, but I don't know what else to try.

I cannot open the Video Editor at all, I tried making a Slideshow and some of the windows show up black, and I can't do the Preview at all, an window pops up and I'm assuming it's supposed to tell me why it won't run that function, but it's a white screen inside the box.

Here's a screen shot of the window that pops up when I try to use the video editor:

http://wolverana.com/myimages/roxioerror.jpg

I have already went and downloaded the latest versions of both DirectX 9c (already had the latest installed so that was a useless download as it told me so).

I already went and downloaded and redid my video card software.

Installed the SP4 for Roxio (this fixed the issue that I couldn't even open the program at all at first as I got a Windows error).

Resolution is currently at 1400 x 900, usually I have it at 1680 x 1050 so that's well over the minimum required resolution.

Neither of these things fixed the problem with the graphical part and being able to use some of the functions. I have tried a few other functions with video usage of the program and also get black windows or they just never fully load in the window. Since I can run many other video products and software I will assume I "should" be able to use this program to the fullest. I know it's older by a few years or so, but it's running high end games just fine so hmm, should run this too.

Here's the specs of my computer:

OS: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 (just recently updated at windows about 3 days ago)

Mother Board: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz

Video Card: RADEON X800 GTO

3gb RAM

DirectX 9.0c

Any assistance would be appreciated, I hate to think I just wasted money on a program I can't even use. Nothing in the system requirements covers any issues with my video card so this is pretty confusing since my computer meets every requirement on that page.

Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by Wolverana

21 answers to this question

Hiya,

Yes I got the video driver from that site (not chip driver, not sure what you mean there). Yes I did uninstall the ATI drivers. I printed out the installation instructions and followed it exactly to install the graphics driver and Catalyst (I got the full Catalyst installer not just the driver itself) installed just fine or so it seems. I still get the same problems though.

There are a number of reported problems with your card on the internet. Did you look at those?

Edited by Big_Dave

The problem you are seeing I have only been able to reproduce with a low end graphics chip…

Your card should be compliant but I do notice that a revised driver was issued last month, 7/5/09. - Here

Start by installing that, and it should resolve your issues.

The problem you are seeing I have only been able to reproduce with a low end graphics chip…

Your card should be compliant but I do notice that a revised driver was issued last month, 7/5/09. - Here

Start by installing that, and it should resolve your issues.

Umm that's where I got the driver from that I posted in my first post that I had just updated and it didn't fix it.

Edited by Wolverana

Check your Display device driver version via Device Manager to see what version is installed verses the lastest available version . Sometimes things don't get installed properly on not at all.

Also using Catalyst, set the performance to best and not best appearance. Set the anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing to software (program) controlled. If you open Edit Video-Advanced and go to the top menu, select tools options and run the rendering test. Where is the dot after the test. Ignore numbers and any other type of result from that test.

Did you update to the latest DirectX for your card/OS?

Edited by sknis

I'll have to try reinstalling the drivers again, because they definitely aren't the ones that I tried installing? not sure how that all works, but why would it install drivers that are not the ones from the file I was installing? I got the download from the right place, and it says it the most recent version is 9.3.1 at the top of the page, yet the file I got there still only installed version 8.593.10.0? I'm confused how that happens, and I don't think that's the first time that's happened either on this computer. Any suggestions before I try reinstalling it and seeing that it probably does it again?

@sknis - I don't even have the areas in catalyst you are talking about, so I'll assume it's because my version is not the most current yet? I found the anti-aliasing setting and the anisotropic filtering setting in the 3D section by looking around catalyst, and both are set to "Use Application Setting" so I hope that's what you meant. The video part I can't find that testing thing at all anywhere.

Edited by Wolverana

I'll have to try reinstalling the drivers again, because they definitely aren't the ones that I tried installing? not sure how that all works, but why would it install drivers that are not the ones from the file I was installing? I got the download from the right place, and it says it the most recent version is 9.3.1 at the top of the page, yet the file I got there still only installed version 8.593.10.0? I'm confused how that happens, and I don't think that's the first time that's happened either on this computer. Any suggestions before I try reinstalling it and seeing that it probably does it again?

@sknis - I don't even have the areas in catalyst you are talking about, so I'll assume it's because my version is not the most current yet? I found the anti-aliasing setting and the anisotropic filtering setting in the 3D section by looking around catalyst, and both are set to "Use Application Setting" so I hope that's what you meant. The video part I can't find that testing thing at all anywhere.

Typically ATI gives you instructions on uninstalling the old drivers/rebooting and then installing the new drivers. Look in Windows Contol Panel/Add -Remove programs and you should see a ATI uninstall program. Click on that.

post-58-1251324661.jpg

post-58-1251324680.jpg

Hello,

Sorry it's taken so long, I had some family issues to take care of and now am back to this. I just tried redoing the drivers again for my video card and still it comes up with this version: 8.593.100.0 am I reading it wrong? The site says it's now on version 9.8 (previously 9.3 when I started this thread, but has again updated) yet both times that I installed the current driver it comes up with 8.5... , but the date is newer this time when I look at the current driver information on the device driver area. before it was 3/xx/09 and now it's 7/21/2009 so I have to be reading these numbers differently maybe? Dunno, but it installs this way so it must have done something different this time than last time. I'll reinstall Roxio and try it again and see if it works now or not. I'll post again when I have more information. Once again sorry for the delay.

P.S. I did print out the full instructions the first time, and compared it to make sure still the same this time before I uninstalled the driver, so I think I got the uninstall/reinstall correct, just not sure if the driver version is right or not.

Edited by Wolverana

*sighs* yes, I know what driver I need for my card, I just don't know if it installed correctly or not. According to the site the 9.3 version is the last version supported by them for this card, so I'm going to assume that it will only go as far as 9.3, but ... did it? The date says it probably did when I look in the device driver for the driver information, but the number is not 9.3.... :/

Open Catalyst Control Center in Advanced mode. In the far upper right corner, click Options/Help/About. I get version 2009.0714.2132.36830

Did you install over the old drivers or did you uninstall the old driver first? Always recommended to uninstall previous drivers, reboot and then install new ones.

Open Catalyst Control Center in Advanced mode. In the far upper right corner, click Options/Help/About. I get version 2009.0714.2132.36830

Did you install over the old drivers or did you uninstall the old driver first? Always recommended to uninstall previous drivers, reboot and then install new ones.

Your instructions Gary, are different than mine. I show no options, I click help, about Catalyst Control Center and get this window, but that only show the Catalyst Control Center version.

post-97-1252341273.jpg

post-97-1252341280.jpg

You need to have Catalyst Control Center in Advanced mode and on the left side expand the + mark next to Information Center and click on Graphics Software. That shows the information needed in the large window..

post-97-1252341284.jpg

cd

In that window I get the following info:

Driver Packaging Version 8.593.100.2-090721a-085695C-ATI

Catalyst™ Version 09.3 . . . . <=== Looks like it may be up to date after all?

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6925

2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{2C55FE31-DF03-4B4C-910F-4B9276C34606}/0000

Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0647

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.8544

Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0721.1107.18080

AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

Looks like I may have to be looking into a new computer/internals if this is truly updated, since it still won't work fully for this program. I have my hubby looking into this for me now for updating the computer, thanks all for your assistance in helping me figure out this silly version and I guess this card is just not compatible with the program.

Program literally says that it's not when I try to use the video so.... cross your fingers I can find a new system/internals that will make it work better for this program and my games too :)

Edited by Wolverana

Just a quick question, in Video Wave or My DVD go to tools, options and run the rendering test. Where is the dot after the test - next to hardware or next to software? Put the dot near software and leave it there. Are you able to do anything? Also, make sure Windows is set to display 96DPI fonts. Higher may cause some display problems.

Hello,

I am unable to open the areas you suggest to change that setting for hardware/software. I was able to get into the Slideshow area and do it there, not sure if that setting is global or just for that area. I have since installed Roxio Creator 2010 today to see if I could do it that way (had to do a refund of 2009 version and repurchase of 2010 version since I just bought it), but same thing, I cannot open the video areas at all. All I get are messages saying that my video card or drivers are not able to run this program due to either the drivers are too outdated to handle DirectX 9.0 or the card is unable to do it. I use it for anything else using DirectX 9.0 and have no problems at all so I am still confused why I can't use the video areas of this program.

After changing the hardware to the software setting in the Slideshow area, same problem, still unable to get into any of the video creating areas.

All I get are messages saying that my video card or drivers are not able to run this program due to either the drivers are too outdated to handle DirectX 9.0 or the card is unable to do it.
Odd, the X800 should be able to handle that I would think.

I would have to agree, granted it's an old computer, and graphics card, but if it can do everything else I don't see why it shouldn't be able to do this :/ It's not the newest X800 of course, it's the X800 GTO but I can play World of Warcraft, Runes of Magic, and numerous other high quality graphical online games, as well as using a few other video type programs so what's the deal that this one won't work for me is what I need to know. I "am" trying to get my hubby to just upgrade the computer or get a new one, but that could take a long time lol, so in the meantime I have a program I can only use about half of :/ I sure hope someone knows something else I can do for it.