My DVD8 total disappointment

todutola@yahoo.co.uk

Question

I had Sonic MyDVD 5 LE that came with my computer and worked very well but I thought I should upgrade to get some functionality that seemed to be missing from my version. I followed the link to upgrade and found myself with 2 choices and choose MyDVD8 Essentials. For 2 weeks I have tried to get it to retrieve video stuff on my miniDVD discs recorded using my Sony camcorder. Media Import just won’t work and when I copied to the hard disc and renamed to .mpg it says that the sound would be replaced by silence, as there is no AC3 support so there is no sound. Add movies does the same.

The problem is the poor support for this software, I posted on this board on this issue and it was suggested that I upgrade to MyDVD8 Premier, I posted the same issue Roxio support webchat and got nothing productive and I submitted screen shots of the problem but I have had no response for over 8 days. I posted again four days ago asking if an upgrade will resolve the problem and still no response. I posted another question specific to the media import problem and they suggested that I should use Windows Movie Maker or the software that came with the camcorder.

Windows movie maker does not work as it cannot handle multiple events, the original software was slow and not user friendly which is why I started using MyDVD5 but now I am in a quagmire because, I don’t have MyDVD5 and I can’t get MyDVD8 to work.

I don’t know what to do and I not going to $35 on a $49 software especially since I don’t know if it could be resolved and I don’t want to waste any more money but I may need to buy another software that works but what software should I buy.

Regards

Tony

5 answers to this question

AC3 is not supported in any of the 'Essential' versions. I'm not familiar with MyDVD Essentials versions, but you may try downloading the open source AC3 filter and see that that will work. The only ohter choice would be to upgrade to MyDVD Premier or EMC 8 Standard or Deluxe.

Thanks, I accepted your advice previously and asked customer support if this was the case on AskRoxanne 6 days ago and they have not responded. I also wanted to know how to upgrade as this is not clear to me. I have downloaded the AC3 filter and installed it but nothing changed.

I don't mind upgrading as I don't have a choice, but I have not found any information to show that these products support AC3 and this is what they have said in one of their answers

NOTE: Roxio Capture does not support any devices which capture in MPEG-2 format.

You will need to use the capture software that came with the device.

If you are getting an error, "unexpected application error" when capturing, you are using an unsupported device

I am not happy with the support of this software and I am worried I would not be able to get support if anything goes wrong.

Thanks

Your best bet would be to contact Customer Service link just to the left. They should be able to tell if there is an upgrade path for the MyDVD 8 Essentials. One other person posted in anohter thread that Sonic/Roxio refunded the price so they could purchase the Deluxe verison. Don't know if they'll do that for everyone, but certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

EMC8 Standard and Deluxe versions support AC3 2 channel. 5.1 surround sound is not supported in any version.

Your best bet would be to contact Customer Service link just to the left. They should be able to tell if there is an upgrade path for the MyDVD 8 Essentials. One other person posted in anohter thread that Sonic/Roxio refunded the price so they could purchase the Deluxe verison. Don't know if they'll do that for everyone, but certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

EMC8 Standard and Deluxe versions support AC3 2 channel. 5.1 surround sound is not supported in any version.

Hi

What is the difference between EMC8 Standard/Deluxe and MyDVD8 Premier

The way I understand it, MyDVD 8 Premier is the same version included in EMC8 Standard. Easy Media Creator 8 standard does include more menu styles plus includes the full version of Videowave 8, Photosuite 8, Creator Classic, Music Disc Creator and a bunch more utilities.

EMC 8 Deluxe adds more features in MyDVD and Videowave plus includes the two menu packs that Roxio sells separately. As far as I know, EMC8 Deluxe is the only verison that has ALL features enabled.

Archived