• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

screen size woes

timo79

Question

Hey all-

I recently came upon a small problem and was curious if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

I took 4 AVI files and used the DVD-Video function to put them on a disk. When I played the DVD on my Mac everything was fine, but when I played it in my DVD player the picture was too big for the screen. Meaning, the top, bottom, and sides were cut off a little. I have a regular old television, no widescreen or anything.

Does anybody have an idea about what went wrong and what I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Hey all-

I recently came upon a small problem and was curious if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

I took 4 AVI files and used the DVD-Video function to put them on a disk. When I played the DVD on my Mac everything was fine, but when I played it in my DVD player the picture was too big for the screen. Meaning, the top, bottom, and sides were cut off a little. I have a regular old television, no widescreen or anything.

Does anybody have an idea about what went wrong and what I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

This sounds like the normal overscanning of a TV set. Here's a good explanation of this:

TV overscan

Does your image still look like it is in the correct proportions? In other words, do you see any stretching or squishing of the image? If so, you might want to go through the different "aspect ratio" settings available on your TV and DVD Player.

Make sure your DVD Player is set to play to the correct aspect ratio. Since you have a 4:3 TV set, make sure the DVD Player is set for that in the video settings menu. You might have 2 options for 4:3 (fullscreen or 'pan & scan'). Try both. Not all DVD Players function as they should.

Next, go through all the aspect ratios on your TV. There should be a button for it on your remote control. If it is an older or less expensive CRT set, you may not have this option. Also, with older and less expensive CRT sets, the cropping I mentioned can be really bad. I've seen many sets easily crop 10-15% all the way around the edges. And there are even times when the cropping is not proportional, and hence the image does get a little out of wack.

If all else fails, most times the "Contrast" (Peak White Level) is set way too high. Bring this down as much as you can stand. I usually end up bringing it down to less than 50%. The set will "bloom" when this is cranked too high, and the image will distort especially near the corners. Probably not your problem here, but worth a quick try in the end.

-Mike

I'm sorry for the delayed reply. I've been busy hunting the elusive internship-beast....

I checked my screen settings and it was left on "auto". I am going to try burning it with with settings on 4:3 and see if that helps. There isn't any warping of the picture from what I can see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does your image still look like it is in the correct proportions? In other words, do you see any stretching or squishing of the image? If so, you might want to go through the different "aspect ratio" settings available on your TV and DVD Player.

Make sure your DVD Player is set to play to the correct aspect ratio. Since you have a 4:3 TV set, make sure the DVD Player is set for that in the video settings menu. You might have 2 options for 4:3 (fullscreen or 'pan & scan'). Try both. Not all DVD Players function as they should.

Next, go through all the aspect ratios on your TV. There should be a button for it on your remote control. If it is an older or less expensive CRT set, you may not have this option. Also, with older and less expensive CRT sets, the cropping I mentioned can be really bad. I've seen many sets easily crop 10-15% all the way around the edges. And there are even times when the cropping is not proportional, and hence the image does get a little out of wack.

If all else fails, most times the "Contrast" (Peak White Level) is set way too high. Bring this down as much as you can stand. I usually end up bringing it down to less than 50%. The set will "bloom" when this is cranked too high, and the image will distort especially near the corners. Probably not your problem here, but worth a quick try in the end.

-Mike

Archived