• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

richgray885

Does Toast 8.0.5 work with Snow Leopard?

Question

10 answers to this question

Anybody know if Toast 8.0.5 will run under Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard??

Yes, I'd like to know the same thing. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that Roxio doesn't care about its customers who purchased Toast 8. (Yes, Roxio, we are still customers!) The last time I inquired about a problem with Toast 8, I was told in no uncertain terms that Roxio no longer supports anything prior to Toast 9, and all subsequent e-mails were ignored. The company's solution: Buy Toast 10.

Very, very bad customer "service"; almost worse than Adobe's.

So don't expect anyone from Roxio to answer this question. It doesn't give a flying f about their customers who don't need to upgrade to the latest and greatest. To them, we don't even exist.

But perhaps another Toast 8 user who's upgraded to Snow Leopard will jump in.

Thanks in advance to whomever can answer this question.

My local Mac store only had Snow Leopard in stock for people who pre-ordered. When I finally get a copy from them I'll be able to do some testing with Toast 8. But I'm confident Toast 8.0.5 will work. Other things in the Toast bundle such as Motion Pictures, Spin Doctor and the Toast It/Mount It contextual menus probably won't work.

I don't know how big a staff Roxio has for Mac-product programming. Presuming their plates are pretty full working on fixes to currently shipping products and developing new products (so the company can stay in business by having something new to sell), there is a need to retire some versions to their "legacy" list. Although it can be frustrating that your version is on that list I don't share your view that it's evidence of bad customer service. It is business economics. They can't afford to do it all.

My local Mac store only had Snow Leopard in stock for people who pre-ordered. When I finally get a copy from them I'll be able to do some testing with Toast 8. But I'm confident Toast 8.0.5 will work. Other things in the Toast bundle such as Motion Pictures, Spin Doctor and the Toast It/Mount It contextual menus probably won't work.

I don't know how big a staff Roxio has for Mac-product programming. Presuming their plates are pretty full working on fixes to currently shipping products and developing new products (so the company can stay in business by having something new to sell), there is a need to retire some versions to their "legacy" list. Although it can be frustrating that your version is on that list I don't share your view that it's evidence of bad customer service. It is business economics. They can't afford to do it all.

Thanks for testing Toast 8.0.5 on SL, tsantee; much appreciated! All I use is the basic Toast and TiVo Transfer, so SL's compatibility to those are the ones in which I'm primarily interested.

I agree that companies are in business for one reason and one reason only: to make money. My frustration mostly is because — and I realize Roxio does not care — I've bought three versions of Toast over the years, and now I might have to pay again? I know software cannot be supported forever and that technology marches on, but even Apple has supported PPC Macs for several years, and is only now requiring Intel Macs. Toast 8 came out ... what? ... a little more than two years ago? If it was a five- or six-year-old applications, then I'd understand, but only two, maybe three years?!

To me, this is exactly like Adobe is longer supporting CS3 (with SL) when it didn't come out very long ago, either. Sure, my CS3 may work, but if it doesn't, CS3 users are just SOL. And Adobe's solution: Plunk down another couple-grand — like it grows on trees! It's the same kind of stuff Microsoft has pulled with Vista and Windows 7: Want to use our cool new OS (not that I, as a Mac user, thinks it's any good, of course)? Well, just buy a new computer! What's the problem?

I just never found the new features on versions 9 and 10 very compelling or anything that I would ever use, and since version 8 still works perfectly well, it's never made sense for me to throw yet another $80-100 at Roxio. But this is the corporate way, I guess. Want to upgrade to Snow Leopard? Well don't expect our product to work anymore; you have to buy our latest and greatest whether you need all its features or not.

But that's capitalism for you, and we must take the good with the bad.

Who knows, however — maybe you'll find that Toast 8 works just fine with SL. If so, then never mind all I just wrote! :rolleyes:

Thanks again for doing this testing.

I ungraded to Snow Leopard today. Most applications work but Tivo Transfer in Toast 8 does not. I can still burn CDs and DVDs but no Tivo. It can't initialize. Also, in the dock the Toast application now appears as a question mark. To restore Tivo functionality will I have to upgrade to Toast 10? Thanks.

I ungraded to Snow Leopard today. Most applications work but Tivo Transfer in Toast 8 does not. I can still burn CDs and DVDs but no Tivo. It can't initialize. Also, in the dock the Toast application now appears as a question mark. To restore Tivo functionality will I have to upgrade to Toast 10? Thanks.

There are posts by patatrox in the Toast 9 and 10 forums that the TiVo transfer isn't working in Snow Leopard. It appears from those posts that Roxio is unlikely to fix this for Toast 8 customers, although I don't know that. Maybe they will.

Edited by tsantee

Toast 8 and Spin Doctor both work without problems for me on OS X 10.6.

Thanks. Have you tested TiVo Transfer?

Who knows, however — maybe you'll find that Toast 8 works just fine with SL. If so, then never mind all I just wrote! :rolleyes:

Too late to ignore. :)

I sympathize with the general gist of your comments, which support my reasons for Toast 8 being the last Roxio product I intend to purchase. Mostly, repeated failures to get their help for just one issue the only time I'd ever needed it (after exhausting alternatives) was incredibly frustrating.

Glad to hear 8.0.5 is at least partly functional on SL. At this point the only thing that could tempt me to purchase a newer version would be if I was certain the significant resource/memory problems I've had were resolved, which I seriously doubt.

Anybody know if Toast 8.0.5 will run under Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard??

I agree with the previous post - Roxio definitely doesn't rock - I too was told that they don't support anything before toast 9 - My Toast 8 was working with Snow Leopard but I would frequently get a 'don't have write permission' message even if I was writing a dvd I had written before under tiger. I downloaded the upgrade to Toast 8 and then it refused to accept my serial No so I can't use it at all - I still had Toast 7 and the same thing happened with that. So I've gone back to Popcorn which works just fine with Snow Leopard. I will not be recommending Roxio products to anyone and I do recommend lots of products to many people.