• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

WaWaZat

Recreating Menu on Existing DVD

Question

I have a finished movie on DVD that I need to recreate the menu for. The existing menu has a blank chapter that needs to be deleted and some subindexes that need to be removed.

1st off, can I achieve this in Toast without having to convert to a lossy file format? I'd like to avoid any unnecessary compression or other degradation.

I've tried dragging the Video_TS file from the existing DVD to DVD-Video in Toast with prefs set to NOT set chapter markers, then again set to add them automatically. I do an Extract which brings the video into Toast Video Player... and this is where things get a little foggy... I'm setting the markers using the little double triangle at the bottom center of the window. From here, how do I use this file to burn a disc image with these new markers?

11 answers to this question

I've never tested to see if placing markers in the Toast Video Player will create chapter markers. The markers are for indicating what portions of a video you want to exclude from the final DVD. It makes some sense that excluding a segment creates a time code break that will result in a chapter mark. However, prior to Toast having the editing feature via the Toast Video Player it did one of two things with existing MPEG 2 video files: 1) it retained any existing chapter markers in the file or 2) if no chapters were present it would automatically create new markers at five-minute intervals.

So you are in new territory. I'm interested to find out what you learn from your approach.

I've never tested to see if placing markers in the Toast Video Player will create chapter markers. The markers are for indicating what portions of a video you want to exclude from the final DVD. It makes some sense that excluding a segment creates a time code break that will result in a chapter mark. However, prior to Toast having the editing feature via the Toast Video Player it did one of two things with existing MPEG 2 video files: 1) it retained any existing chapter markers in the file or 2) if no chapters were present it would automatically create new markers at five-minute intervals.

So you are in new territory. I'm interested to find out what you learn from your approach.

Ok, I'm moving a little further along into this. On the orig Video_TS file there where a few frames in between each video section (where I want to insert chapter markings) of the old fubared menu. So I've managed to get rid of those in Video Player. The problem is, the orig file has extra sub indexes that end up being marked as chapters (chapters markings I don't want). So I'm not sure yet if the chapter markings that ARE correct are a result of what I did to the extract or remnants of what was already there.

So my question now is, how do I get rid of those extra chapter markings? There doesn't seem to be a way in Toast to manually set or remove chapters.

Keep in mind I'm new at this so any "obvious" procedures I'm missing are due to being green. Thx!

I just realized... when I Edit video, I'm not getting the "Video" tab or the Set Button Picture option. Does this have something to do with the video format I'm using???

I just realized... when I Edit video, I'm not getting the "Video" tab or the Set Button Picture option. Does this have something to do with the video format I'm using???

Yes, it is because you are using MPEG 2 video as the source. You can set the button image by clicking on the title's thumbnail in the main window. A scroll bar appears beneath the thumbnail. Drag it to a frame that you want. It only will show the key frames.

Yes, it is because you are using MPEG 2 video as the source. You can set the button image by clicking on the title's thumbnail in the main window. A scroll bar appears beneath the thumbnail. Drag it to a frame that you want. It only will show the key frames.
Ok, yes I've found that.

But here's what I needed to do to get my scenario to work. 1st I've converted the the complete program off the existing DVD to DV. Since on the orig there was an empty chapter and unwanted subindexes, I set prefs to not include Chapter Markers. Doing the conversion, miraculously, automatically broke the video into 4 separate DV files which were the 4 correct & complete chapters! I then compiled them in the DVD-Video section... seems you can't rearrange the compilation once in there, correct? The DV files that were made were numbered and they did not correspond to the order in which the chapters were arranged. I had to bring them in to Toast to see which files were which, delete them, then bring them back in the order I wanted. From there I set my Button Pix & Text. Now I've just realized that the chapters won't play through subsequently... it brings me back to the menu after each chapter. So I went in to Disc Options and checked Play All Items Continuously, then saved another Disc Image but it didn't take. Where is it that this disc feature is encoded? Do I have to start over with the DV files & recreate the menu buttons?

Ok, yep, had to start over with the DV files. Now it plays through the chapters without going to the menu each time but it will not allow shuffling through the chapters... and I don't see an option addressing this anywhere. So is shuffling possible with a Toasted DVD??

Ok, yep, had to start over with the DV files. Now it plays through the chapters without going to the menu each time but it will not allow shuffling through the chapters... and I don't see an option addressing this anywhere. So is shuffling possible with a Toasted DVD??

I'm uncertain what you mean by shuffling. You can tell Toast to include a scene menu that appears as menu pages that have a thumbnail button for each chapter. Clicking one of them starts a continuous play from that point.

There is a way to access and extract individual chapters from an existing video DVD or VIDEO_TS folder. It involves using the Toast Media Browser. Insert the source DVD or place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop and choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. The button that's just below can be used to access the titles level where you'll see a thumbnail list of all chapters on the DVD. Drag the ones you want to the Video (or Convert) window to extract the chapter(s) as individual video(s). The problem is you now have your video broken into many different titles. That's why I didn't mention it earlier. You also can use the Media Browser to extract entire titles which is similar to what you were doing when you dragged the VIDEO_TS folder directly to the main Toast window.

I'm uncertain what you mean by shuffling. You can tell Toast to include a scene menu that appears as menu pages that have a thumbnail button for each chapter. Clicking one of them starts a continuous play from that point.

There is a way to access and extract individual chapters from an existing video DVD or VIDEO_TS folder. It involves using the Toast Media Browser. Insert the source DVD or place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop and choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. The button that's just below can be used to access the titles level where you'll see a thumbnail list of all chapters on the DVD. Drag the ones you want to the Video (or Convert) window to extract the chapter(s) as individual video(s). The problem is you now have your video broken into many different titles. That's why I didn't mention it earlier. You also can use the Media Browser to extract entire titles which is similar to what you were doing when you dragged the VIDEO_TS folder directly to the main Toast window.

What I mean by shuffling is simply being able to jump to the next chapter while viewing the previous chapter. When I hit the "Next" arrow on the DVD player, nothing happens. I have to go to the menu if I want to get to the next chapter. Is there a way to allow this within Toast?

What I mean by shuffling is simply being able to jump to the next chapter while viewing the previous chapter. When I hit the "Next" arrow on the DVD player, nothing happens. I have to go to the menu if I want to get to the next chapter. Is there a way to allow this within Toast?

The chapter advance button on your DVD player's remote should do that with the Toast-authored DVD. I'm wondering if you ended up with your chapters as separate titles. If they appeared as individual items in the Toast window then they are titles, not chapters. Having continuous play on allows them to automatically play one to the next although there probably is a slight pause when each new title begins.

Did you turn on scene menus when burning your DVD? If you did then clicking on a title in the DVD's main menu will lead to a second menu of smaller thumbnail images which are your chapters within that title. There is no text by the thumbnails in the scene menu.

The chapter advance button on your DVD player's remote should do that with the Toast-authored DVD. I'm wondering if you ended up with your chapters as separate titles. If they appeared as individual items in the Toast window then they are titles, not chapters. Having continuous play on allows them to automatically play one to the next although there probably is a slight pause when each new title begins.

Did you turn on scene menus when burning your DVD? If you did then clicking on a title in the DVD's main menu will lead to a second menu of smaller thumbnail images which are your chapters within that title. There is no text by the thumbnails in the scene menu.

If I check Insert Chapters Automatically, it puts in unwanted scenes & does just what you've described (Yes, Scene Menus was checked).

When I converted the orig DVD to DV, it automatically broke each chapter into separate DV files. I brought each one into DVD-Video, set the Text & Button Pix and Toasted it. How do I make this run as 1 title w/4 chapters? Compile it 1st in iMovie maybe?

If I check Insert Chapters Automatically, it puts in unwanted scenes & does just what you've described (Yes, Scene Menus was checked).

When I converted the orig DVD to DV, it automatically broke each chapter into separate DV files. I brought each one into DVD-Video, set the Text & Button Pix and Toasted it. How do I make this run as 1 title w/4 chapters? Compile it 1st in iMovie maybe?

Right. Compile the DV videos in iMovie and place chapter markers there. Use the Toast Media Browser to access your iMovie project file to add to Toast. Toast should respect the markers placed in iMovie rather than adding its own.