• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

LP & Tape converter won't launch

kwfletch@hotkey.net.au

Question

I have recently installed EMC8 wanting to convert LPs and tapes. However on trying to open the LP & Tape converter button I just get a Windows error message - encountered a problem and had to close. The same thing happens on Easy Audio Capture. It's not a software clash, I've tried installing the software on a completely clean partition and the same thing happens. I thought maybe it was a sound card problem, but the Audio tab in the Roxio Media Import section correctly shows the sound card (Audiophile 2496) and lets me record happily - but I can't use the features of LP & Tape converter, the whole reason I bought the program!

Numerous messages to Roxio support have brought absolutely no response - I guess they don't care once they have the money for the software.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

15 answers to this question

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the instructions for editing the registry in the link you provided, and now can't open EMC8 at all - it wants the program disc and a re-installation. Won't that just put everything back the way it was & I'll still have the same problem? I'll try downlaoding the software you suggest, but that just means that I've wasted $140 Australian and untold hours of frustration on a crap product!

I'm afraid I don't know what a Direct X diagnostic tool is, or where I might find one!

I have recently installed EMC8 wanting to convert LPs and tapes. However on trying to open the LP & Tape converter button I just get a Windows error message - encountered a problem and had to close. The same thing happens on Easy Audio Capture. It's not a software clash, I've tried installing the software on a completely clean partition and the same thing happens. I thought maybe it was a sound card problem, but the Audio tab in the Roxio Media Import section correctly shows the sound card (Audiophile 2496) and lets me record happily - but I can't use the features of LP & Tape converter, the whole reason I bought the program!

Numerous messages to Roxio support have brought absolutely no response - I guess they don't care once they have the money for the software.

What sound card do you have, and is it built into your motherboard, a separate card, or a USB device? If you only have a USB device installed, please read this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the instructions for editing the registry in the link you provided, and now can't open EMC8 at all - it wants the program disc and a re-installation. Won't that just put everything back the way it was & I'll still have the same problem? I'll try downlaoding the software you suggest, but that just means that I've wasted $140 Australian and untold hours of frustration on a crap product!

I'm afraid I don't know what a Direct X diagnostic tool is, or where I might find one!

DirectX Diagnotic Tool

You should be able to restore your registry from the back up. I have run those instructions several times just to make sure they work and I did not get anything like what you are getting. What version of Windows do you have; also what service pack?

In XP, go got start, run, type in DXDIAG and click on run. The first page should list what version of DirectX you have (needs to be 9© or higher). You can run the video and audio tests to see if your video card/chip and/or sound card/chip will handle DirectX 9.

Thanks again for your reply. No, Sound Editor won't open either - it looks like it's going to, I get a window saying Loading Component, but then get the Windows error message (encountered a problem and needs to close).

Okay, please go back to my first reply, and answer the questions about your system and sound card. What do you have?

I am haveing same problem & I can't get any help from support either.

Here are the details of the system I'm using:

AMD Athlon 64 processor, 2.20GHz, 2GB RAM

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Hard disk drives (2 drives) – 200GB each

Sound card: M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496

As I said previously, I can record through the sound card just fine in the Audio Import section of EMC8 - but can't open sound editor or do anything else related to audio!

Did you ever edit your registry? If not

Try this

or try GoldWave ( trial download,no malware and liberal trial license).

Thanks for your response. I finally received a reply from Roxio support today, but after going through their suggested steps (which involved editing the registry, whatever that means, and downloading an Audio Reset Tool) the problem was still the same.

I want to be able to use the program to clean up tapes and LPs for burning to CD. I used to use Easy CD Creator 5 for this, but was told of the features of EMC 8 which allowed much greater control over parameters and noise removal. If there is another way into the LP and tape cleaning functions, I would be delighted to hear about it!

You should be able to restore your registry from the back up. I have run those instructions several times just to make sure they work and I did not get anything like what you are getting. What version of Windows do you have; also what service pack?

In XP, go got start, run, type in DXDIAG and click on run. The first page should list what version of DirectX you have (needs to be 9© or higher). You can run the video and audio tests to see if your video card/chip and/or sound card/chip will handle DirectX 9.

I have Windows XP service pack 2. DirectX is version 9.0c. Ran the sound tests - could hear the sounds, but got a message at the end saying "Your soundcard does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers". I don't understand what this means - I am able to record through my sound card using other programs, eg. Cubase, and even through the audio capture section of EMC8 - no problem recording sound there. It's just the LP & Tape converter, sound editor and other related functions of EMC8 that won't record and causes the program to shut down.

When you go to DirectX Diagnostic Tool, are there more than one Sound tabs for you?

Ivan

Yes, there are three - I checked them all, the sounds played but I got a message at the end saying "Your soundcard does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers" - whatever this may mean.

When you go to DirectX Diagnostic Tool, are there more than one Sound tabs for you?

Ivan

Yes - three

Thanks for your response. I finally received a reply from Roxio support today, but after going through their suggested steps (which involved editing the registry, whatever that means, and downloading an Audio Reset Tool) the problem was still the same.

I want to be able to use the program to clean up tapes and LPs for burning to CD. I used to use Easy CD Creator 5 for this, but was told of the features of EMC 8 which allowed much greater control over parameters and noise removal. If there is another way into the LP and tape cleaning functions, I would be delighted to hear about it!

Okay... does Sound Editor open for you? That's where you'll be doing the noise reduction. If that works, you can try recording from there. If you can't record from there, I'd suggest downloading CDWAVE. I use that for most of my recording anyway. It's also a fabulous tool for splitting out the individual tracks, but do that after you've done your noise reduction processing.

Let us know if you can get into Sound Editor.

LP and Tape Converter (Assistant) is a lite version of Media Import, Sound Editor and Music Disc Creator combined with some of the best parts removed to make it "easy" to use. :) Not many people have said that the lite (Assistants) are good. Perhaps if you tell us what you want to use in LP and Tape Recorder Assistant, we can point you to how you can do it in one of the real programs (with a lot more options).

I know that this doesn't solve your problem with opening the function. :huh: Do you feel comfortable with editing your registry? Do a search for "Music Disc Creator locking up". You can try that fix. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll search for it.

Archived