Guest lduguay

Where is CUDA support?

Question

Guest lduguay

Where do we enable CUDA support in Roxio Creator 2010 Pro (Downloaded) under Vista 64?

I have a TripleSLI setup (3 x Evga 285 GTW FTW), and the video encoding seems slower than Roxio 2009.

Guest lduguay
When writing a dvd and Creator is using Cuda the progress screen will appear as shown below. One thing I'm missing

from Creator 2009 is progress bars from each operation not just the total progress.

Dana

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac317/danawellen/cuda.jpg

Thanks Dana,

i do not see the logo, do you remember any special configuration to Creator 2010 for CUDA support? I guess you are using the downloaded version of Creator 2010 Pro right?

Just for information only---Here is a website link for all the NVIDIA video cards that can use CUDA---

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

Frank...

Thx Redwagon

Even 3 y/o hardware is supporting CUDA. Mine are 6 months old (285 GTX)

Guest lduguay
Is that logo up for all the phases or just Write Format?

Good question, Dana can answer that. Like everybody else, I a movie preview during the encoding phase.

Edit: Dana is too fast :)

So the movie preview is gone during the encoding phase, right?

Edited by lduguay

Guest lduguay
If you encode a video file (not a DVD) in VW do you get the logo?

otown,

I think you have an ATI card, i don't think you would see the same logo, as CUDA is an Nvidia exclusive.

I would expect this logo for an ATI card

0,1425,i=224757,00.jpg

Edited by lduguay

Guest lduguay

Ok i managed to get the CUDA logo in VW when creating a AVCHD 1920x1080i (Sonic AVC/H.264 interlaced)

I could see that the encoding process was a lot faster using CUDA.

The resulting .mp4 is then dropped into MyDVD to create a .iso. This time then encoding process does not use CUDA. :unsure:

It uses the relatively slow CPU bound encoding process. All 8 threads of my processor was close to 100% utilization.

I made sure I have the latest ATI drivers and called ATI Support who said the hardware is there and its up to the application (Creator) to use the hardware. So I'm a bit stumped now as how to proceed. I really don't want to contact Roxio support.

Dana, might you enlighten some of us a bit more please? I have an ATI Stream supported card and so far, you are the only one posting that CUDA is working so I don't know if my problem is card related or not. But, can you tell us what file types you put in and encoded to?

I've tried both dvd and non dvd compliant mpegs, good and poor quality avi files and other than some pleasant surprises with speed, I see no evidence of any special going on. All this was tried in MyDVD. I've not yet tried anything in VW.

Thanks for any particular info you can provide.

The ATI site advertises a conversion app (MediaShow Espresso ) that supports their Stream technology so I downloaded a trial version and found it does work. For the file I converted it cut encoding time by 50% so it seems the GPU is working fine.

The ATI site advertises a conversion app (MediaShow Espresso ) that supports their Stream technology so I downloaded a trial version and found it does work. For the file I converted it cut encoding time by 50% so it seems the GPU is working fine.

Please post a link to this info and trial.

So are you saying you get the desired logo when encoding that shows Stream working? In MyDVD or VW? What file types were used? I would hope that a card that says it 'supports' this new technology doesn't make you pay more to use it.

I needs my details!

Thanks

Please post a link to this info and trial.

So are you saying you get the desired logo when encoding that shows Stream working? In MyDVD or VW? What file types were used? I would hope that a card that says it 'supports' this new technology doesn't make you pay more to use it.

I needs my details!

Thanks

To find a link Google MediaShow Espresso

My comments were related to MediaShow Espresso, not Creator.

MediaShow Espresso - Stream works

Creator 2010 - Stream doesn't work

To find a link Google MediaShow Espresso

My comments were related to MediaShow Espresso, not Creator.

MediaShow Espresso - Stream works

Creator 2010 - Stream doesn't work

Oops, sorry, my excitement got the better of me. OK back to page 1.

Thanks Dana,

i do not see the logo, do you remember any special configuration to Creator 2010 for CUDA support? I guess you are using the downloaded version of Creator 2010 Pro right?

Thx Redwagon

Even 3 y/o hardware is supporting CUDA. Mine are 6 months old (285 GTX)

I'm using the download version 2010 pro and there wasn't any special config to use Cuda other then the video driver which

I upgraded just before installing Creator.

Dana

Guest lduguay
I'm using the download version 2010 pro and there wasn't any special config to use Cuda other then the video driver which

I upgraded just before installing Creator.

Dana

K. thx for the info

So has anyone with an ATI card had any luck in getting Creator 2010 to use ATI Stream. I've sent off the problem to Roxio support but they haven't come up with anything useful.....that fixes the problem.

I have downloaded and installed Stream on my 4800 ATI card. I have not seen any indication that Steam is working but the encoding of a HD video file is faster than I expected? I don't know if Stream pops up an indication or not.

I have downloaded and installed Stream on my 4800 ATI card. I have not seen any indication that Steam is working but the encoding of a HD video file is faster than I expected? I don't know if Stream pops up an indication or not.

I do know if you open Catalyst Control Center and click ATI Overdrive under graphics settings it shows temp, activity, and fan speed for my ATI 4850 graphics card. I've monitored this encoding all kinds of video and it's clear the card isn't getting used by off loading work to ATI's Stream!

cd

I think nVidia CUDA kicks in when it detects AVC encoding. It does not matter what the render mode setting is (Hardware or Software).

Videowave

In VW, I used a 3 min 13 sec mpg file as the source. Then chose AVC better quality as output. The nVidia CUDA popped up. It took 65 secs to render.

post-114-1252381480.jpg

Choosing "Same as original" as output, the same file took 35 secs to render. The smart render kicked in.

MyDVD

With the same mpg file above, I started with an AVCHD project. And burning showed the following:

post-114-1252382288.jpg

Edited by malatekid

The only app I have that I KNOW uses ATI streaming is the AVIVO video converter built into the Catalyst Control Center. And yes it's fast even on my HD3300 integrated chip. However, I'm not too impressed with the MPEG encoding for standard definition. Granted HD looks better, but I think that has more to do with the resolution.

As an update here, I have had no luck in using ATI Streaming in MYDVD, but have found some kinds of encoding do work in Videowave.

What works is:

AVCHD 720p

BluRay AVC HQ

BluRay HQ

AVC Better Quality

HD DVD HQ

MPEG2 HD 1080p

What doesn't work is:

AVCHD 1920x1080i

AVCHD 1440x1080i

WMV91920x1080 VBR

These are samples as I haven't tried them all. When it works its ridiculously fast..ie 28 seconds on a 66 second video using AVCHD 720p. So go figure?

As an update here, I have had no luck in using ATI Streaming in MYDVD, but have found some kinds of encoding do work in Videowave.

What works is:

AVCHD 720p

BluRay AVC HQ

BluRay HQ

AVC Better Quality

HD DVD HQ

MPEG2 HD 1080p

What doesn't work is:

AVCHD 1920x1080i

AVCHD 1440x1080i

WMV91920x1080 VBR

These are samples as I haven't tried them all. When it works its ridiculously fast..ie 28 seconds on a 66 second video using AVCHD 720p. So go figure?

What ATI card do you have and what version of ATI driver and Avivo are you using?