• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

brucknerdoc

Trouble burning 5.1 audio DVD's

Question

Hello -

I've been trying to use Toast 10 to burn audio music DVD's using 5.1 AC3 files, but each time the discs come out with only 2 channels instead of 5.1.

I've tried several of the suggestions that I've seen here and elsewhere - option-dragging the files into Toast, setting reencode to "never" - and Toast does identify the sound file as "Dolby Digital 5.1". I've even tried burning the discs as video DVD. I've checked the source file to make sure all channels are good and all 6 channels are indeed present.

Any one have an idea why I cannot get Toast to burn correctly or know of another alternative?

Thanks -

10 answers to this question

Like Creator line of products, Toast only supports outputting to Stereo DD and not 5.1. However, other Gurus can provide better input on this.

If you option-drag the files to Toast and it only multiplexes the files when making a music DVD, the 5.1 audio should still be there. It can only change if Toast encodes the audio files.

If you option-drag the files to Toast and it only multiplexes the files when making a music DVD, the 5.1 audio should still be there. It can only change if Toast encodes the audio files.

That's what I thought - when I watch the burn progress, Toast only shows multiplexing of files, not encoding. Yet, the burned disc only contains the front 2 channels.

I've rechecked the files by extracting the individual channels and imported into Quicktime Pro - all show there is content on a all 6 channels, so I believe the files to be good.

Frustrating...

That's what I thought - when I watch the burn progress, Toast only shows multiplexing of files, not encoding. Yet, the burned disc only contains the front 2 channels.

I've rechecked the files by extracting the individual channels and imported into Quicktime Pro - all show there is content on a all 6 channels, so I believe the files to be good.

Frustrating...

I'll check to see if that happens on my system.

Okay, I just did a test. In the Music DVD window Toast reports the source file as Dolby Digital 5.1, 49000 Hzt. I chose Save as Disc Image and then mounted the image file. Toast's media browser reports the resulting audio as Dolby 5.1 48000 Hz. So nothing was changed.

If I don't option drag the AC-3 file to Toast then it will get re-encoded to 2-channel.

Edited by tsantee

I'll check to see if that happens on my system.

Okay, I just did a test. In the Music DVD window Toast reports the source file as Dolby Digital 5.1, 49000 Hzt. I chose Save as Disc Image and then mounted the image file. Toast's media browser reports the resulting audio as Dolby 5.1 48000 Hz. So nothing was changed.

If I don't option drag the AC-3 file to Toast then it will get re-encoded to 2-channel.

I noticed in the DVD's I burned that if I opened them on my Mac using DVD Player, the disc info lists the audio as Dolby Digital 6 channels - just as you noticed with the disc image.

However, the disc still played on my standalone player in 2 channels. I tried the disc on multiple players - I have quite a few DVD, BluRay, HDDVD players - and the result was the same with all of them.

I think I'm losing my mind at this point...

I noticed in the DVD's I burned that if I opened them on my Mac using DVD Player, the disc info lists the audio as Dolby Digital 6 channels - just as you noticed with the disc image.

However, the disc still played on my standalone player in 2 channels. I tried the disc on multiple players - I have quite a few DVD, BluRay, HDDVD players - and the result was the same with all of them.

I think I'm losing my mind at this point...

I'm baffled too. I don't know why that would be the case. I'm on a business trip right now so I can't do more testing at the moment. It seems the DVD Player should read the AC3 stream for what it is. I'll ponder this awhile.

I talked with the tech support and they said that Toast doesn't support multichannel sound. How lame is that?!

I'm hoping for it to be supported in Toast 11 or 12 at least, this is the 21st century, come on!

I talked with the tech support and they said that Toast doesn't support multichannel sound. How lame is that?!

I'm hoping for it to be supported in Toast 11 or 12 at least, this is the 21st century, come on!

Well that's not entirely true. Toast cannot encode multi-channel audio but it can use existing 5.1 AC-3 tracks on video DVDs (or in your case Music DVDs which is a video DVD with slide show and audio streams). Now that you've brought this topic back near the top I'll give it a test tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that it of course can handle multi-channel sound on a disc image (.img/.iso) when Toast doesn't need to encode it. :)

I just did a new test creating a Music DVD with 5.1 AC-3 audio tracks. When I option drag the tracks to the Toast window they each show up as individual titles rather than a playlist within a title. This means I can only have a maximum of 98 tracks on a disc (according to the DVD spec). I tried a workaround where I created a playlist using AAC audio tracks and then added the AC-3 tracks within that playlist. The result is that Toast re-encoded the tracks that were inside the playlist to 2.0 AC-3 but left the tracks that were individual titles alone. I have a Music DVD with 5.1 audio tracks but each track is its own title on the DVD. My conclusion is if you don't need more than 98 tracks with 5.1 audio on your music DVD then Toast can do it in this way.