KansasBoy

Workaround for - Project_BuildToDevice() AuthorScript call failed. Error while Writing Format

Question

:rolleyes:

This new thread pertains to the following error message: Project_BuildToDevice() AuthorScript call failed. Error while Writing Format. I believe that the workaround described below has promise but needs others to confirm that it works.

This error occurs when trying to burn AVCHD to DVD slideshows involving probably as few as 20 jpg picture images. Following is the process that caused the error message:

• Used VideoWave to produce slideshow with 253 jpg image files (138MB) with simple transitions and video wave sound then saved file

• Opened MyDVD – selected AVCHD with menus as output.

• Imported VideoWave file

• Inserted HD-type Menu with one “button” (no chapters)

• Selected Burn (output reflected to be 3.2GB)

• Burn produced the error message.

o Project_BuildToDevice() AuthorScript call failed. Error while Writing Format

Encoding Movie – completes

Input Media – completes

Encode Media – completes

 Writing Format – fails at about 50% complete

I've spent many hours in a running dialog with Roxio Technical support trying various workarounds. In brief none of them worked up until now. Before continuing, I want to let everyone know that Roxio Tech Support – Level 2 has been great and has been totally supportive in helping to resolve this problem.

Following is the content of the email which I essentially followed with success.

“I am sorry to hear that you are still getting the same error. I assume this is the call to author script error you stated before. As a possible work around I would like you to export the file from video wave as a video file. Choose any quality setting. Once the file has been created open MyDVD and select a new AVCHD project. Add your video file we just created in videowave and select what ever menu options you want. Then select burn. For this test we can uncheck burn to DVD and instead try to create the image. If the image is made successfully we can try to burn either from mydvd to directly to disc or burn the image file directly using the burn image option in creator.”

I did not follow the last part of the instructions but rather went directly to a burn. I was successful. The show runs without problems on my Blu-Ray player.

Because this is just one success story I would ask that the discussion group managers allow this thread to remain open so that we can all ensure that the process does work. Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions.

My MPEG-2 file plays fine on my computer in both Windows Media Player and RealPlayer, so I have been assuming that the file is fine. None the less, I will try to reprocess it with VideoWave and see if that helps. I may also just give up (for now) on 720p and see if I can get there with 1080i.

Last night I updated the DVD burner firmware, video driver, etc. I then tried just making the ISO file and not burning to disk, but obtained the same write format error.

My computer is marginal for HD editing. This is my first attempt. I want to learn more about it before I upgrade my computer and buy an HD camcorder.

Dell XPS 410

Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz

2 GB RAM

TSST Corp TS-H553A DVD burner

Two 500 GB SATA hard drives

nVidia GeForce 7300 LE

Thanks for the suggestions.

My MPEG-2 file plays fine on my computer in both Windows Media Player and RealPlayer, so I have been assuming that the file is fine. None the less, I will try to reprocess it with VideoWave and see if that helps. I may also just give up (for now) on 720p and see if I can get there with 1080i.

Last night I updated the DVD burner firmware, video driver, etc. I then tried just making the ISO file and not burning to disk, but obtained the same write format error.

My computer is marginal for HD editing. This is my first attempt. I want to learn more about it before I upgrade my computer and buy an HD camcorder.

Dell XPS 410

Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz

2 GB RAM

TSST Corp TS-H553A DVD burner

Two 500 GB SATA hard drives

nVidia GeForce 7300 LE

Did you try what I suggested?

Did you try what I suggested?

Not yet, but I will. I have a deadline to meet for tomorrow, so I dropped back to building my disk in Studio but in HD1080i. The files are larger and it takes more disks, but it works. Late yesterday I finished making my HD1080i disks. Today I am trying the same thing in MyDVD (which I prefer for DVD menu creation) with HD1080i to see if I get the same error as I do with HD720p. It has been running for over 4 hours and is only 40% complete. Once that completes, I will try converting a 720p file in VideoWave (which I have never used before, so there may be a learning curve).

Not yet, but I will. I have a deadline to meet for tomorrow, so I dropped back to building my disk in Studio but in HD1080i. The files are larger and it takes more disks, but it works. Late yesterday I finished making my HD1080i disks. Today I am trying the same thing in MyDVD (which I prefer for DVD menu creation) with HD1080i to see if I get the same error as I do with HD720p. It has been running for over 4 hours and is only 40% complete. Once that completes, I will try converting a 720p file in VideoWave (which I have never used before, so there may be a learning curve).

OK, keep us posted! B)

OK, keep us posted! B)

More failures.

I tried a Studio generated HD1080i in to MyDVD and it failed.

I then converted a Studio generated HD720p with VideoWave and then in to MyDVD and go the same failure.

So far I have not been able to build any HD MPEG-2 to AVCHD on DVD disks using MyDVD.

My next test will be to build a slideshow in VideoWave. That should tell me whether it is a problem with my Studio MPEG-2 files or with MyDVD.

I recently updated to the latest version of both Studio and Creator. I can build SD disks, but not HD.

I am the originator of this thread and have continued to correspond with Roxio. Following is the latest response that I received the last of January 2010. Hopefully this will keep the issue alive until we are sure there is a fix.

A Roxio Agent has responded to your ticket! (# *****)

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting Roxio Customer Care!

We acknowledge the urgency in getting this issue burning a High-Definition format of slideshow into a DVD. We appreciate your time spent informing us about this issue and we will be more than happy to provide you the information you need.

We have reviewed this ticket, your initially reported issue, your responses to Roxio Customer Care's recommended resolution and all other information required from you to further analyze issue and we have found out a few information that caused this issue to occur in the first place.

But before anything else, let us try this step and see if it will make a difference. Please try to convert the high-definition slideshow into a different high-definition file format and see if you'll receive the same error you have initially reported to receive.

Please use videowave and use the Export As option and select AVC (H.264) as the output file format (high-definition format). Save it to your desktop for quick access. Launch Videowave again and then add this converted file and see if you can burn it to a regular DVD.

If this is successful then conversion is needed then before burning into a regular DVD. However, if this also fails, then here are our findings:

1. Your recordable drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q does not support or could not burn high-definition file format onto a regular DVD or if it can then ;

2. Your version of Roxio Creator 2010 does not have the High-Definition or Blu-ray Plug-in for HD Authoring, which will allow you to burn high-definition file format to either a Blu-ray Disc or a regular DVD playable on a Blu-ray player;

3. Please install this Roxio Creator 2010 High-Def/Blu-ray Plug-in below and try to convert the file or burn high-definition onto a regular DVD.

Roxio Creator 2010 High-Def/Blu-ray Plugin

We will be looking forward for your feedback as we further research on this issue. Rest assured that Roxio Customer Care Team will continue to work towards a resolution on this matter. Please give us feedback by updating your webticket.

Thank you for contacting Roxio Customer Care! Have a wonderful day ahead!

Regards,

Roxio Customer Care Support

:rolleyes:

This new thread pertains to the following error message: Project_BuildToDevice() AuthorScript call failed. Error while Writing Format. I believe that the workaround described below has promise but needs others to confirm that it works.

This error occurs when trying to burn AVCHD to DVD slideshows involving probably as few as 20 jpg picture images. Following is the process that caused the error message:

• Used VideoWave to produce slideshow with 253 jpg image files (138MB) with simple transitions and video wave sound then saved file

• Opened MyDVD – selected AVCHD with menus as output.

• Imported VideoWave file

• Inserted HD-type Menu with one “button” (no chapters)

• Selected Burn (output reflected to be 3.2GB)

• Burn produced the error message.

o Project_BuildToDevice() AuthorScript call failed. Error while Writing Format

Encoding Movie – completes

Input Media – completes

Encode Media – completes

 Writing Format – fails at about 50% complete

I've spent many hours in a running dialog with Roxio Technical support trying various workarounds. In brief none of them worked up until now. Before continuing, I want to let everyone know that Roxio Tech Support – Level 2 has been great and has been totally supportive in helping to resolve this problem.

Following is the content of the email which I essentially followed with success.

“I am sorry to hear that you are still getting the same error. I assume this is the call to author script error you stated before. As a possible work around I would like you to export the file from video wave as a video file. Choose any quality setting. Once the file has been created open MyDVD and select a new AVCHD project. Add your video file we just created in videowave and select what ever menu options you want. Then select burn. For this test we can uncheck burn to DVD and instead try to create the image. If the image is made successfully we can try to burn either from mydvd to directly to disc or burn the image file directly using the burn image option in creator.”

I did not follow the last part of the instructions but rather went directly to a burn. I was successful. The show runs without problems on my Blu-Ray player.

Because this is just one success story I would ask that the discussion group managers allow this thread to remain open so that we can all ensure that the process does work. Thanks

This is EXACTLY the problem I am having. I will try your solution ot export an avi file and then add to a new project. One question: will this preserve the HD quality of the production? Thx.

I've been in a six month dialog with Roxio and during that time I've tried numerous procedures that they have recommended without success. The process was provided to me on 1/23/10 by Roxio. It is very detailed so I have created a document file and saved it as a pdf. I have successfully completed a slideshow consisting of 180 digital pictures with music. The AVCHD DVD output is a high quality show.

If someone will tell me how to either attach the pdf to one of these messages or paste the doc file with images into a forum message I will share it with all. Standing by

Follow-up. The document/pdf has several screen shots so I cannot simply send the text.

Upload all to a file sharing site and post the link here. One of the frequent posters/Roxio will review it, post it, and pin it to the top of this forum.

THERE IS AN ERROR THAT ONE OF OUR GURUS FOUND IN THE WAY I LAYED OUT THE PROCESS WITH SCREEN SHOTS. PLEASE ACCEPT MY MEA CULPA. I AM WORKING WITH THEM NOW TO CORRECT THIS AND WILL REPUBLISH THE PROCESS WHEN FIXED.

I have uploaded a detailed "how too" file in both a "doc" and "pdf" format to http://burgboy.keepandshare.com. I've expanded the recommendation made by Roxio to fix this issue - after almost six months of dialog.

I would appreciate if one of the gurus would review these files and if worthy post the process with screenshots to our community site - hopefully at the top of this thread or a new one. I would appreciate feedback. Hope this helps.

Edited by KansasBoy

Important Notice:

Please read the item under "Important Topics" titled "Roxio Process for Making an AVCHD Disc"

Suggest all future inputs and feedback regarding this issue and this process be posted to that thread.

Thanks

KansasBoy