• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Black and White - with some color

cara_starr

Question

10 answers to this question

This may depend on the version that you're using.

I can find Invert selection in PhotoSuite, but not ChromaKey invert in the VideoWave part of EMC 7.1 which is what I have on this computer. So I'm limited to removing a color from a picture.

Now you might be able to remove one major color in the overlay using the ChromaKey and then in the original picture adjust the red/ green/ blue to get the effect that you want.

However, if you want to show something like an object or person in the photo against a black and white background, you're going to have to do the tracing in PhotoSuite. Removing colors can have strange effects on the remaining portions of the picture.

I have a photo of several cars on a race tarck. I want the track, background foilage, other cars, etc. all to be BW with only one car showing in color. From reading your post, it looks to me as if I will have to take the tedious route and perform this trick in PhotoSuite. Drat. Thanks for the tips.

Hi,

I have noticed recently in several wedding videos, a technique where the entire shot is in black and white except for say, the bride's bouquet. How is this done? Is there a way to do it in Videowave?

Add video to main track

In settings, take saturation to 0% so video is B&W

Add the SAME video to overlay so they match up exactly

Use Chroma Key and select the color you WANT TO SHOW

This actually makes it disappear as it is now. We need a Chroma Key Invert.

That way ONLY the color selected will SHOW and all other colors disappear

If you want to do it to stills use the following instructions.

Color and B/W

You can do what you want using Photosuite, but it may be slow and tedious. Here is a brief description:

1. Open the photo in Photosuite

2. Make sure you have All Features showing and click Cutouts&Masks\Create Mask

3. Select By Freehand tracing...and the click the Edge Tracing button.

4. Here is the slow, tedious part. Trace around the object you want to remain in color. Small steps will usually result in more accurate tracing. Also helps to zoom in on part to be traced.

5. When you get the tracing the way you want, click Done Tracing and the click Invert Selection (Don't worry about what the traced area looks like.)

6. Click Next then Done

7. Select Effects\Special Effects and find Black and White and click. Everything except the traced area should change to Black and White

I hope this helps. :):huh:

Add video to main track

In settings, take saturation to 0% so video is B&W

Add the SAME video to overlay so they match up exactly

Use Chroma Key and select the color you WANT TO SHOW

This actually makes it disappear as it is now. We need a Chroma Key Invert.

That way ONLY the color selected will SHOW and all other colors disappear

If you want to do it to stills use the following instructions.

Color and B/W

You can do what you want using Photosuite, but it may be slow and tedious. Here is a brief description:

1. Open the photo in Photosuite

2. Make sure you have All Features showing and click Cutouts&Masks\Create Mask

3. Select By Freehand tracing...and the click the Edge Tracing button.

4. Here is the slow, tedious part. Trace around the object you want to remain in color. Small steps will usually result in more accurate tracing. Also helps to zoom in on part to be traced.

5. When you get the tracing the way you want, click Done Tracing and the click Invert Selection (Don't worry about what the traced area looks like.)

6. Click Next then Done

7. Select Effects\Special Effects and find Black and White and click. Everything except the traced area should change to Black and White

I hope this helps. :rolleyes::D

Hi Patty,

I realize this is an old post but I did a search for posts re chroma key and this one came up. I am not the original poster but am interested in doing the same thing.

I tried to follow your first set of instructions, but unfortunately the second line "in settings, take saturation to 0% . . ." doesn't seem to be an option. I cannot find any editing tool in videowave that is called "settings". So I tried clicking various editing options and cannot find anything that refers to saturation. Can you guide me to that option?

I have EMC 7.5, am creating a slide show in videowave and would like to apply this chroma key technique to one of the photos in one of the panels. I was really hoping I could do it in videowave as you suggest because it seems much easier than creating this effect in Photosuite.

To get rid of the color in the original picture, choose Edit\ Adjust and take the color down to zero.

Thanks a lot ! That worked. Little by little I'm going to get this. After I edit the overlay to choose the color I WANT to show then the earlier instructions mention to do Chroma Key Invert. Sorry, but I can't figure out how to do that. Can you direct me?

Thanks a lot ! That worked. Little by little I'm going to get this. After I edit the overlay to choose the color I WANT to show then the earlier instructions mention to do Chroma Key Invert. Sorry, but I can't figure out how to do that. Can you direct me?

This may depend on the version that you're using.

I can find Invert selection in PhotoSuite, but not ChromaKey invert in the VideoWave part of EMC 7.1 which is what I have on this computer. So I'm limited to removing a color from a picture.

Now you might be able to remove one major color in the overlay using the ChromaKey and then in the original picture adjust the red/ green/ blue to get the effect that you want.

However, if you want to show something like an object or person in the photo against a black and white background, you're going to have to do the tracing in PhotoSuite. Removing colors can have strange effects on the remaining portions of the picture.

To get rid of the color in the original picture, choose Edit\ Adjust and take the color down to zero.

Well this sounds fun. I was thinking maybe film the video

and put it in movie maker make it b&white.

was like ok then what.

I will try what you said put the color and b&w videos together.

Sounds like a neat overlay idea i see this in commercials

alot now. They did it by filming the color parts with no

people such as a bowl and table.

Then b&w the same table and bowl with people.

Therefore the bowl is the only thing in color.

I am sure they can overlay the videos

but i am going to try the chroma key

as see how it works.

WE can do that in video we dont need to use the mask.

I guess.

thanks for bringin up this topic i wondered about it

and have seen it done in pinnacle and other

programs.

They did it by filming the color parts with no

people such as a bowl and table.

The ideal way would be to film the bowl and table against a solid background of a different color. ( example: red bowl and table against a blue background.)

When you use the chromakey on the overlay, there is an eyedropper that you can use to pick up the correct color that you want to eliminate.

You can end up with some interesting video and photos by using the chromakey.

You might feel free to check my youtube here for which ways work for you.

Open video wave,

Put the color track on the reel

put the b&white background on the overlay

chromakey eye dropper out the black and white parts

so the color in back now shows. adjust hue and brightness

and size.

this has the fade effect.

MAKE SURE both videos line up at the start

i moved mine over 1 second so you can

hear a sound skip just so you get the idea..

this is a rushed 10 minute thing so its not perfect but

here...

-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq3WMv3CguE

there is some green and i pop it back to color at the last second.

or version2

OR you can film the color object on a blue/green/red or white screen

something bright. I did mine on white but forgot my police box

windows were white so in this video they get blurred or

chroma keyed out.

But chroma key out the blue/green/red or white screen.

Also you can see this is more shaky on my black & white

background but the good thing is i can place

the tardis/police box anywhere.

In space, in egypt, in a forrest or

in the bathroom any background you want.

Oh i got the black white by just taking the

film in movie maker and greyscaleing it

then put it in videowave.

This version you dont have to line

up the tracks so much but i also lose

the fade effects unless i fix them.

About 20 minutes on this one.

u might want to use brighter colors, hope that

helps. this was the lazy way.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdHV6XOXC9w

Archived