• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
kidneystones

Easy Audio Capture-Time on drive

As I capture audio converting from vinyl>cd, the time left on drive steadily decreases, despite the fact I am not saving any projects

Would anyone know why this is happening, and

How to revert the time left on drive to the original 152H-

Thanks in advance

If you have completed your project and moved to the next one, it seems that you must have temporary files building up somewhere. These should normally be deleted after use.

I think the easiest way to deal with this would be to download the free CCleaner utility from here. Run that and you should be able to clean out all the tmp files and regain your space/time on your hard drive.

If that does not do the trick for you, please come back here and tell me which software suite you're using Easy Audio Capture in, and I'll go hunt the location of the temp files so you can kill them manually.

If you have completed your project and moved to the next one, it seems that you must have temporary files building up somewhere. These should normally be deleted after use.

I think the easiest way to deal with this would be to download the free CCleaner utility from here. Run that and you should be able to clean out all the tmp files and regain your space/time on your hard drive.

If that does not do the trick for you, please come back here and tell me which software suite you're using Easy Audio Capture in, and I'll go hunt the location of the temp files so you can kill them manually.

Hi- I have RecordNow9 Music Lab Premier- i've run CCCleaner, didn't solve the issue-

Appreciate your help, thanks in advance

Hi- I have RecordNow9 Music Lab Premier- i've run CCCleaner, didn't solve the issue-

Appreciate your help, thanks in advance

Hi again,

I thought you must have solved the problem and gone again :)

I don't have that version of RecordNow, so I had to go and install Easy Media Creator 9 which I believe uses the same Easy Audio Capture. Is this what yours looks like? [the red line is something I added].

post-208-1267922320.jpg

As you can see, I started with 7 hrs 17 minutes showing. I recorded 29m 36sec, and the counter showed 6hrs 47 minutes left. A WAV file of 305 MB called Audio.Wav was saved in the directory underlined by my red line. It is

C:\Documents and Settings\Brendon\My Documents\My Music\Recorded Tracks\

I burned the WAV file to disc, but couldn't see any temp files left after the burn. The big WAV file was still there, and EAC still showed 6hrs 47 min left on the drive. I deleted the Audio.wav file, and EAC then showed 7hrs 16mins time left. I expect it will show 7hrs 17mins if I clean up the drive again.

Now, to get back to the point of all this, are you clearing out the saved WAV files in your 'Recorded Tracks' directory, or the equivalent directory if your EAC isn't exactly the same as mine? I think that will be where your disk space is disappearing to.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

sorry it took so long to get back to you, had some comp issues, and since I hadn't been recording, frankly forgot until I was able to start using the program again..

Anyway, I do believe I am deleting the WAV files, because the folder for Recorded Tracks is empty...

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer...

Thanks again, in advance :)

Hi Kidneystones,

If you have the folder for recorded tracks then your EAC must be pretty similar to the one in EMC 9. You haven't said what Operating System you're running but if I give you suggestions for XP they shouldn't be too far off track.

I'd suggest you do a capture, noting the before and after values for time on disk left, and have a look in that folder when you've finished. If there is anything still in there, delete it and check the time on disk value again.

If it's still higher than it should be, go and search for the file(s) that were just created.

-Click Start > Search > Pictures, music, or video

-click in the next box on 'use advanced search options'

-in the next box click 'More advanced options', then fill in what you need:

select music, the drive to look in, when was it modified [today], search hidden files and folders, and subfolders

-then click 'Search"

Hopefully that will pick up any music files anywhere on that drive which were made today, and you should find where EAC has been squirreling away your temporary music files. If that doesn't get them you may have to try it again, this time looking for *.tmp or *.temp files.

My EAC saved them only in the folder I marked with that red line, so I don't know why yours is putting them somewhere else.

HTH.

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

I'm running Windows XP SP3 (sorry I didn't state that earlier)-

The easy audio capture windows looks very similar to mine, only exception is that mine has no red line beneath the 'save to' window-

First I did the searches- nothing came up at all- so I tried going to windows explorer, then looking in My documents(desktop)- where I found some of the tracks I had recently recorded- deleted those- the time did increase from 135 to 136h

It seems despite the fact I'm not saving the project, the files are being stored in the desktop 'MyDocuments' folder, even after I've deleted them from the 'Recorded Tracks' folder in Roxio- and all searches fail to come up with any files-

I still have only 136h left on the drive, it should be at 152, which indicates files are still hiding somewhere-

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

I put the red line in the screen clip to draw your attention to the 'save to' window, so your EAC is essentially the same as mine, I think.

If your saved tracks are getting saved to random places around your hard drive, the only other suggestion I can make with plain XP is to do a search as I described earlier for whatever type of file is being saved - probably .WAV ?? Whatever type you found hidden away in MyDocuments.

Let it search for any modified date, and then go through the 'hits' from the search. Every time you find one that's a saved track you don't want note where it's hidden. This way you should find the hidden cache quite quickly.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

I did a thorough search *.wav-

Unfortuately, none of the files listed apply to Roxio tracks, etc...

Is there any other format that the files could be stored, which I can search??

Thanks again, in advance,

Not that I know of, but I'll reinstall EMC 9 and have one last rattle through to see if I can turn up anything.

I think I'll probably be two or three hours, if nothing comes along to derail me in the interim. Back then.

'kay, I'm back.

I started with 7hrs 17 mins free and captured a couple of chunks of music totalling 44 mins. That left me with 6:33 free. Exploring the disk I found my two large WAV files totalling between 400 and 500 MB in the usual place.

There were no other new files about that time except the prefetch for Roxio and routine stuff.

Deleting those two files, I finished up with 7:18 free. That confirmed my searching.

The only other files that seem to be creatable by EAC will only turn up if they have been chosen by you as an output type. They're MP3, WMA, and PCM, but as I said you have to select them specially to save in that type.

post-208-1269559888.jpg

If you can't find saved files under WAV or those other settings, I'm mystified.

One last thought. Please remember that EAC's estimate of recording time left on your hard drive refers only to the space left on your drive. Anything that uses space - new programs, MS updates, incoming email etc - will all subtract from that 'remaining time' estimate. It's not just EAC's saved files that affect that value. Your depleted time left could be due to something quite unconnected with Easy Audio Capture.

Best regards,

Brendon