• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
ElaineMDavy

Burning Issue

Can anyone help? I only have MyDVD 5, which came with my computer. I have used it many times to transfer home video clips onto a VCD with success. Now after a holiday and another few clips, each time I try to burn a disc, the computer shuts down after a short while (half an hour or less). I have tried everything, shutting down all applications, even the internet, but it still shuts down. Maybe someone could help me to solve this problem? I would much appreciate it! Thanks E M Davy :)

Elaine,

How hot is the weather where you are, and how well ventilated and dust-free is the inside of your computer?

It might well be worth checking, because unexplained shut-downs after a time running could well be caused by your machine's processor getting too hot and shutting down to protect itself.

Especially if the machine stands on the floor, any fluff nearby can get sucked inside and blown onto the heatsink where it can block the airflow quite efficiently. [i can show photos]

Get someone familiar with computer innards to check it. You might be horrified. Don't clean it yourself without expert advice.

Elaine,

How hot is the weather where you are, and how well ventilated and dust-free is the inside of your computer?

It might well be worth checking, because unexplained shut-downs after a time running could well be caused by your machine's processor getting too hot and shutting down to protect itself.

Especially if the machine stands on the floor, any fluff nearby can get sucked inside and blown onto the heatsink where it can block the airflow quite efficiently. [i can show photos]

Get someone familiar with computer innards to check it. You might be horrified. Don't clean it yourself without expert advice.

Hi, Brendon,

Yes that has happened to me and a friend who knows computers gave it a good clean and showed me how to do it. I can leave it on for hours at the moment, just ticking over, but it does it only when I am trying to burn my VCD. I try it as soon as it boots up, when I know it is fairly cool, but it still shuts down. I will have a go at cleaning out the dust again, but if you think of anything else might be causing it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your reply and helping hand! :rolleyes: Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Overheating is the thing I immediately thought of, and I don't have any alternatives. You need to clean under the CPU fan because often gunge will build up where you can't see it. Here's a before and after I photographed, to show you what I mean.

post-208-1252411233.jpg

post-208-1252411263.jpg

If air is flowing freely through the case and a thorough cleaning of the main heatsink doesn't cure the problem, you might have air between the CPU and the heatsink which is stopping the heat being drawn away from the CPU.

This is definitely a job for an expert, and involves removing the heatsink and cleaning all the thermal compound off, then reseating the heatsink with thermal paste. It would cost you up to an hour of a technician's time, but it is better than having a computer which keeps shutting down on you.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi again, Brendon!

I managed to sort out my problem! Bit of trial and error, but I found out that I could successfully burn 3 of my projects, the 4th being around 30 mins, which was the problem. So I deleted that off and the others burned well onto my disc. Tried again to burn the last on its own but still shut down, so I uninstalled it and put it back to edit in Video Studio 8. Then I found out that there is not only an option to create video file but also burn to disc. So I thought, might as well try it - and it worked! Had to leave it on overnight, but when I came down this morning, the comp had shut down, but the dvd had ejected and trying on 2 DVD players, it's fine! Thank you for helping me, though. Oh - and looking in the back of my comp, it,s really quite clean! I have a deal with my PC provider that I get it checked every year and if I have a problem, I take it to the shop and they repair it for free! (I pay a monthly subscription).

Still don't know why it keeps shutting down, though. Maybee needs another check-up!

Regard Elaine (UK)

Edited by ElaineMDavy

Okay Elaine,

I'm glad you've got it working for you. The 30-minute one bears looking at, though. There are still many questions unanswered there.

Is it an error in that file which is causing a problem with MyDVD 5, or just the duration and a heat buildup?

Is the other software completing because it doesn't work the CPU so hard, and therefore there isn't so much of a heat buildup? Who knows?

I hope the checkup doesn't show something serious with the machine.

Regards,

Brendon

Okay Elaine,

I'm glad you've got it working for you. The 30-minute one bears looking at, though. There are still many questions unanswered there.

Is it an error in that file which is causing a problem with MyDVD 5, or just the duration and a heat buildup?

Is the other software completing because it doesn't work the CPU so hard, and therefore there isn't so much of a heat buildup? Who knows?

I hope the checkup doesn't show something serious with the machine.

Regards,

Brendon

As well as the suggestions already made I'd also suggest looking at your system settings for switching into standby.