• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD plays . . . then doesn't

golinux

Question

I have two DVD players (one a recorder) connected to my TV. Both are pretty new as I'm kinda new to the DVD world.

Why would disks created with DVD Builder play fine one day then throw up a disk error the next? This is just happening on one player. Should I return it and try another or am I missing something basic?

This happened a week or so ago with another DVD and I burned a new disk which then worked fine. But having to reburn disks is a real drag. Why are the disks getting nuked?? Any ideas what's going on?

I am burning from an ISO image BTW.

OMG, that's more info than I can process! Makes me want to unplug and head for the nearest cave!!! Why does this have to be soooo complicated . . .

That's what you get for living in Tech Heavy Austin. :D Now if you were in Houston (where I am), things would be simplier. Perhaps you have a friend that would help - Michael Dell? :huh: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

That's what you get for living in Tech Heavy Austin. :D Now if you were in Houston (where I am), things would be simplier. Perhaps you have a friend that would help - Michael Dell? :huh: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)
Hey, ya know Houston is probably worse!! I'm counting on peak oil and economic collapse to finally burst the bubble of techno/gizmo madness and get us all out in the fields growing food to survive. :D The sooner the better, I say!!

There may be a problem with the discs...(I've asked for advice in the past about disc manufacturers and who's best...been told Verbatim), but I also feel that part of the problem could be the manufacturer of the player.

I've had problems in the past with certain players not even being able to play commercial discs reliably, let alone burned ones. Personally, when I see printing on the box of a player state it can play DVD-R+R...it should live up to that.

I wonder if we should start a thread on player recommendations, problems, compatibility, reliability and so on. I realize there are many models to a manufacturer, so things could vary a lot from one model to another but...

For what it's worth, I have a Sony. I had a GE and it let me down inside a month...never again. I bought my dad a Koss for his birthday. It was junk too. I replaced it with a well equiped JVC and no complaints in a year.

What manufacturer does DVDInfoPro say made the discs? If it is CMC Mag, they could go bad in a day, but usually won't. CMC is a poor manufacturer of DVD's, and even if it says Sony on the label, it is posssible that some other manufacturer made the media for them.
I downloaded and installed DVDInfoPro. But it wouldn't launch. It just hung at 99% loaded and could only be terminated by a restart.

I shut down all running proggies before installing and tried to launch it twice. Not going to play with it any more - don't have time for stuff that doesn't work. :)

There may be a problem with the discs...(I've asked for advice in the past about disc manufacturers and who's best...been told Verbatim), but I also feel that part of the problem could be the manufacturer of the player.

I've had problems in the past with certain players not even being able to play commercial discs reliably, let alone burned ones. Personally, when I see printing on the box of a player state it can play DVD-R+R...it should live up to that.

You'd think that would be the case. Unfortunately . . .

I wonder if we should start a thread on player recommendations, problems, compatibility, reliability and so on. I realize there are many models to a manufacturer, so things could vary a lot from one model to another but...
That could be really useful but would change a lot over time.

For what it's worth, I have a Sony. I had a GE and it let me down inside a month...never again. I bought my dad a Koss for his birthday. It was junk too. I replaced it with a well equiped JVC and no complaints in a year.
Well, I returned the Sanyo (that wasn't guaranteed to play home burned disks) and picked up a Sony that says it will play about anything and so far it has (except for the funky disk but then I couldn't get it to play on my computer last time I tried either). I'm stumped how it could go bad in a heartbeat. Stay tuned . . .

Ft Hood.

West of Austin, didn't have to give you directions! Been there done that?

40 degrees 40 mph wind. North Ft Hood worst living conditions than the "Nam". B227th D229th Assault Helicopter Division 1st Cav. Nui Ba Den, Tay Nihn flew road cover out that a-way lot's!

cdanteek

Bit of an update on the funky disk. The Sony plays it but it is cranky - sometimes stops and starts. As an experiment, I reburned the ISO to a TDK-RW - first one I've used off a new spindle. Popped it in and there don't seem to be any of the problems I was having with the Sony/Taiyo Yuden disk. I have burned to another type of -RW and a +RW and not had a problem. I'm beginning to think that either my burner doesn't like the 'Cadillac' disks or it's a bad batch.

Only been to Ft Hood as a tourist – living conditions were great at the motel…

I was a few clicks Northeast of Tay Nihn in 1966/67. Carved out a base camp at Dau Tieng. 2/12 INF & 2/22 (Mech) INF

Didn't spend much time on roads, mostly off stumbling in the boonies.

post-39-1148900711.jpg

What manufacturer does DVDInfoPro say made the discs? If it is CMC Mag, they could go bad in a day, but usually won't. CMC is a poor manufacturer of DVD's, and even if it says Sony on the label, it is posssible that some other manufacturer made the media for them.
Hey, DVDInfoPro is pretty cool. Here's my 'report'. The Media code/Manufacturer ID on the Sony DVD-R disk spindle that the bad one came from is TYG02. DVDInfoPro couldn't get anything off the bad disk itself.

The Media code/Manufacturer ID of the Sony DVD+RWs is RICOHJPNW11 and the DVD-RW by Imation is CMCW03.

Interestingly, the CMCW03 disks are the ones that I am using to transfer from VHS to DVD. I have been torturing them for weeks not had a hiccup on one of them, knock on wood.

I'm so new to the DVD world and there is so much to learn. Thanks to all for your insights.

Hello, hello?? Is anybody there on topic?? It is sooo frustrating and disappointing to see a response and not find anything relevant. :) Maybe mods could clean out the OT stuff??? Thanks.

This thread has mostly reached its' logical conclusion… If the discs play in your burner, there is nothing wrong with the disc. Look to your players.

Burning can be a fickled art. It always has been and will continue that way. I have 8 DVD R's left on a 25 spindle that simply will not burn anymore. There is no silver bullet for this.

Guest mlpasley
Bit of an update on the funky disk. The Sony plays it but it is cranky - sometimes stops and starts. As an experiment, I reburned the ISO to a TDK-RW - first one I've used off a new spindle. Popped it in and there don't seem to be any of the problems I was having with the Sony/Taiyo Yuden disk. I have burned to another type of -RW and a +RW and not had a problem. I'm beginning to think that either my burner doesn't like the 'Cadillac' disks or it's a bad batch.

You might want to visit the website of your DVD burner manufacturer. Often they will have a list of preferred DVD manufacturers. Apparently, some DVD burners work better with certain 'brands' of DVDs.

It's also very possible that you got a bad batch of DVDs. There could have been a manufacturing defect or those disks could have been handled incorrectly during shipping and storage. Others will probably disagree, but I tend to buy my DVDs from electronics stores where I hope that they have properly handled and stored the disks.

I'm glad you found disks that work well. I've had good luck with both TDK and Verbatim.

FWIW, here's a little followup on how all this worked out.

After mulling over all your comments, I happened to find Pioneer D111 burner on sale at Best Buy. It has made a world of difference.

Then I downloaded CDspeed and started to test and compare disks - the disk quality graphs are actually starting to make sense. Disks burned with the Pioneer do very well - they are consistent and most all rate in the high 90s. Most of the disks that were burned with the old drive and still readable (that's not many), have serious errors right at the beginning of the disk. Then as the disk progresses things settle down. That must be why so many of those disks failed quickly.

So yes, all of you who insisted it was the burner were absolutely right.

When I decided to start this ongoing project I had no idea what it took to burn a DVD. I had never done any video editing or even burned a data DVD. I am pretty adept around things computer but it was almost more that I bargained for and even now, everytime I turn a corner there is a new challenge ahead!! Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped get me this far. Onward . . .

Thanks for the last two responses. No solution but the feedback is helpful. I have a different batch of Sony DVD-R (though not Taiyo Yuden) that I will try next. If they work OK, my suspicion is that there were some bad disks in the previous batch. I'll post once I do the burn and test it.

Hello, hello?? Is anybody there on topic?? It is sooo frustrating and disappointing to see a response and not find anything relevant. :) Maybe mods could clean out the OT stuff??? Thanks.

It was frustrating for those mentioning the places that they have been. What better day is there to talk about it? Maybe not in your thread, but it wouldn't be the first time a thread varied from the topic for awhile. You just have to suck it up.

It was frustrating for those mentioning the places that they have been. What better day is there to talk about it? Maybe not in your thread, but it wouldn't be the first time a thread varied from the topic for awhile. You just have to suck it up.
Every forum deals with OT stuff in a different way. Some of the other forums I hang on are sticklers for keeping threads on topic. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. But wouldn't a thread in General Chat have been more appropriate?? :)

I have two DVD players (one a recorder) connected to my TV. Both are pretty new as I'm kinda new to the DVD world.

Why would disks created with DVD Builder play fine one day then throw up a disk error the next? This is just happening on one player. Should I return it and try another or am I missing something basic?

This happened a week or so ago with another DVD and I burned a new disk which then worked fine. But having to reburn disks is a real drag. Why are the disks getting nuked?? Any ideas what's going on?

I am burning from an ISO image BTW.

I don't have an answer but this does happen to me often with one of my players. It's only on homemade discs and not commercial ones. I keep my player clean and my discs are clean as well. I find that if I insert the disc then eject it a few times, it finally works well.

The Media code/Manufacturer ID on the Sony DVD-R disk spindle that the bad one came from is TYG02. DVDInfoPro couldn't get anything off the bad disk itself.

sisterscape would you check something on your disc for me? TYG02 is a Taiyo Yuden media code often faked but Sony has used the real thing.

On the hub around the center hole there should be some #'s. 8x real Taiyo Yuden should have GG _ _ _ _ _ _. Would you check that bad disc or spindle and see if the #'s are there?

Thanks, cdanteek

I'll post once I do the burn and test it.
Well, I just burned one of the Sony DVD-R (SONY08D1) and the bits that I looked at played perfectly, at least on my computer. I'll test the TV players after dinner.

Well, this new disk worked in the player and looked great on the TV too. Couldn't ask for better. Now if it will do the same in a week, or two, or . . .

FWIW, here's a little followup on how all this worked out.

After mulling over all your comments, I happened to find Pioneer D111 burner on sale at Best Buy. It has made a world of difference.

Then I downloaded CDspeed and started to test and compare disks - the disk quality graphs are actually starting to make sense. Disks burned with the Pioneer do very well - they are consistent and most all rate in the high 90s. Most of the disks that were burned with the old drive and still readable (that's not many), have serious errors right at the beginning of the disk. Then as the disk progresses things settle down. That must be why so many of those disks failed quickly.

So yes, all of you who insisted it was the burner were absolutely right.

When I decided to start this ongoing project I had no idea what it took to burn a DVD. I had never done any video editing or even burned a data DVD. I am pretty adept around things computer but it was almost more that I bargained for and even now, everytime I turn a corner there is a new challenge ahead!! Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped get me this far. Onward . . .

What brand and type of media are you using in the new Pioneer?

sisterscape would you check something on your disc for me? TYG02 is a Taiyo Yuden media code often faked but Sony has used the real thing.

On the hub around the center hole there should be some #'s. 8x real Taiyo Yuden should have GG _ _ _ _ _ _. Would you check that bad disc or spindle and see if the #'s are there?

Thanks, cdanteek

Bad disk is gone but I checked the spindle. YES, GG000077 is there! It is not on the clear hub but almost hidden on the label next to it. It is also printed as a mirror image (or some such permutation) but I could see the characters and figure it out. Is Taiyo Yuden a good thing? And if so why did this disk (and two last week) fail? Methinks the players I have tried were screwing something up.

BTW, the new Sony has been doing great. Time will tell.

Archived