• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Chapters from FCExpress2.0.3 misplaced&notext

audiopostproduction

Question

MacOS10.4.6 w/Toast 7.0.2 and a 2:02:50 minute DV-NTSC output from Final Cut Express 2.0.3. FCE option; include all markers on export.

Quicktime shows the Chapter markers have been placed correctly, but when the file is encoded in Toast the markers are not in the correct position and there is no text in the menu. I will try outputting each chapter from FCE and selecting 'play all options continuously.'

Any other ideas?

3 answers to this question

Chapter markers can't always be set in the location of the DV file. MPEG chapters have to be located in specific areas, and if the original chapter is not in that location, it will be moved.

I've seen this happen in both Toast and iDVD using iMovie files. This is the same reason as to why MPEG files can't be edit with the same precision as a DV file.

If you encoded the MPEG in Compress and set markers, then you would have a better chance of getting them closer to the expected location.

THe strange thing is that still doesn't really explain why the second video on this disc always has its CMs in the correct position, but the first one always has its messed up. I have done this with the same programs a few times with different settings, even re-exported it from FCP, and also burned two different files with chapters with the same result...the first program in the menu has messed up CMs, but the second one is correct. Seems like a bug in toast from what I can gather, but still doesnt make sense.

I am having the same problem, but with a twist....I have two video files exported out of Final Cut Pro with CMs. They operate fine in QT, but when I put both the files into toast to create one DVD, the strangest thing happens. The first video has its markers all messed up with their timing (automatic is selected for chapters in menu). One effort had the CMs off by about 15 seconds, another off by multiple minutes! The second video has ALL its CM's working fine and they are where they should be. I have checked and rechecked the FCP project, and the CMs are set correctly there, again they open fine in QT, I am using Toast 7.1 and selecting automatic for the CM setting.

Any ideas on this one? I do have DVD Studio Pro, but Toast is so much easier bc I do not have to compress proior to by using compressor and several other steps. Can ya help a brotha out?

Archived