Better Backups?

ascraig

In the FAQ for ECDC 5 it mentions that Direct CD drag & drop, and CD-R, are not good choices for making backups (I have been, and I have lost several files as a result).

Can anyone suggest a more secure (the best?) way of achieving error-free backups? I mainly deal with Word documents and digital photos - willing to buy (ouch?!*&) another software package if necessary ...

Many thanks in advance

Stewart

Dell Dimension 4400, XP Home SP2, Philips CD/DVD+RW writer, with a copy of ECDC 5 that I am trying to restore

In the FAQ for ECDC 5 it mentions that Direct CD drag & drop, and CD-R, are not good choices for making backups (I have been, and I have lost several files as a result).

Can anyone suggest a more secure (the best?) way of achieving error-free backups? I mainly deal with Word documents and digital photos - willing to buy (ouch?!*&) another software package if necessary ...

Many thanks in advance

Stewart

Dell Dimension 4400, XP Home SP2, Philips CD/DVD+RW writer, with a copy of ECDC 5 that I am trying to restore

If it is a question of having a spare copy (but not one that can be revised at will), CD-R and DataProject is reasonalby save - the caution is CD-RW. CD-R is "burned" by "cooking" a dye with the laser; CD-RW is "burned" (at a lower temperature) by the laser melting and recrystalizing an aluminum alloy - which promptly begins to de-crystalize - taking all the data with it.

Or, to have something that can be revised at will, use an External Hard Drive, or Flash drives (aka Thumb / Jump / Pen / Keychain drives).

Or, you could back up the entire Hard Drive to either an External Hard Drive, or another Hard Drive, or Optical disc (CD, DVD) using a program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Lynn

• 3 months later...

Lynn, thank you so much for this information (in fact, thanks to everyone in the forums -- I was finally able to extract files originally burned with ECDC and DirectCD using ISObuster).

One question:

CD-R is "burned" by "cooking" a dye with the laser; CD-RW is "burned" (at a lower temperature) by the laser melting and recrystalizing an aluminum alloy - which promptly begins to de-crystalize - taking all the data with it.

Would you say that it's the same with burning DVDs?

Lynn, thank you so much for this information (in fact, thanks to everyone in the forums -- I was finally able to extract files originally burned with ECDC and DirectCD using ISObuster).

One question:

Would you say that it's the same with burning DVDs?

Yup. (Altho if you insist on formatting DVD/RWs, you can lose lots more information. :))

BTW - DirectCD is completely separate from ECDC, you were making the mistake of using DirectCD. I learned the hard way.

Some sites you might find of interest -

Media FAQ - Blank Media - CDFreaks

Byers Guide to CDs and DVDs (.pdf format)

Lynn

Archived