• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jeff2018

Dolby Digital 5.1

Question

I am attempting to record Blu-Ray quality on a DVD-RW. Now I have done this in the past successfully and it has worked using an m2t to ts file. The high-def video I have been able to get to transfer fine at 720p. However, the audio is indicated by Toast 9 as Dolby Digital 5.1 but when it is actually recorded, on the disc, and played back on my Sony Blu-Ray player it is only in Dolby Digital 2.0. I have successfully done this in the past, however, now it is not working.

The only change is the m2t file source. The oddity is that, in the past, the original m2t file I would edit in MPEG Stream Clip, cutting out the extra content, but MPEG Stream Clip will no longer open the file to edit. So I am now using VLC and using the Export Wizard to stream the video to save it in MPEG TS format and then using Toast Video Player to edit content. The extra content are commercial which are in Dolby 2.0.

Toast 9 recognizes the remaining content as Dolby Digital 5.1 throughout the process so, it would appear anyway that, it should be recording it as such. Like I said, I have done this successfully in the past. Am I overlooking something obvious here or has anyone else had a similar problem?

9 answers to this question

If Toast enters an Encoding mode then it will re-encode the audio as well as the video. Sometimes it works to choose Never re-encode in the custom encoder settings window.

I don't know why you can't open the m2t file in Streamclip. What is the source for that file?

If you can use Streamclip to demux the MPEG TS file and also use it to demux the video encoded by Toast, you could add the video stream from the Toast version with the audio stream from the TS version and give that a go in creating your Blu-Ray disc without re-encoding. Toast will match the audio stream when you drag in the video one if it is in the same folder with the same name (except for the extension). If there isn't a match there, Toast will open a window for you to locate the audio stream.

Edited by tsantee

If Toast enters an Encoding mode then it will re-encode the audio as well as the video. Sometimes it works to choose Never re-encode in the custom encoder settings window.

I don't know why you can't open the m2t file in Streamclip. What is the source for that file?

If you can use Streamclip to demux the MPEG TS file and also use it to demux the video encoded by Toast, you could add the video stream from the Toast version with the audio stream from the TS version and give that a go in creating your Blu-Ray disc without re-encoding. Toast will match the audio stream when you drag in the video one if it is in the same folder with the same name (except for the extension). If there isn't a match there, Toast will open a window for you to locate the audio stream.

Thanks for your help to start!

The source is off my Comcast DVR thru Firewire output to AVS Browser on my Mac. I have used this connection before and other HD programs work fine. The source was an NFL football game broadcast on Fox. I have done this before and it worked perfectly. What is weird after using VLC to transcode to am MPEG2 TS file, MPEG Streamclip still won't open the file properly.

I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks!

Thanks for your help to start!

The source is off my Comcast DVR thru Firewire output to AVS Browser on my Mac. I have used this connection before and other HD programs work fine. The source was an NFL football game broadcast on Fox. I have done this before and it worked perfectly. What is weird after using VLC to transcode to am MPEG2 TS file, MPEG Streamclip still won't open the file properly.

I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks!

I also have the Comcast DVR and have used AVCBrowser for captures that I've then used in Streamclip to save as an MPEG 2 file which Toast can read. But I haven't tried it recently. I don't know when I'll get the chance to test this out now but I'll give it a go as soon as I can. Two weeks ago I did this capture of my team's football game but they played miserably and I trashed the file.

I also have the Comcast DVR and have used AVCBrowser for captures that I've then used in Streamclip to save as an MPEG 2 file which Toast can read. But I haven't tried it recently. I don't know when I'll get the chance to test this out now but I'll give it a go as soon as I can. Two weeks ago I did this capture of my team's football game but they played miserably and I trashed the file.

Yeah, I understand about when your team loses badly. Eagles fan here and week one was great and this week not so great. I am still experimenting with this and did get it to work but then didn't work the next time. I think perhaps what the problem is that depending, on what the 1st frames audio is, Toast will not change to 5.1 from 2.0. I have edited out the commercials, which were in 2.0, and the game in 5.1 but I think it remains at 2.0. If the first frame is 5.1 it seems to work. Have to still confirm that.

Yeah, I understand about when your team loses badly. Eagles fan here and week one was great and this week not so great. I am still experimenting with this and did get it to work but then didn't work the next time. I think perhaps what the problem is that depending, on what the 1st frames audio is, Toast will not change to 5.1 from 2.0. I have edited out the commercials, which were in 2.0, and the game in 5.1 but I think it remains at 2.0. If the first frame is 5.1 it seems to work. Have to still confirm that.

Interesting and it makes sense. I have a problem with the AVCBrowser capture having no audio at times, but that has nothing to do with Toast. I'll give this a test tomorrow.

Interesting and it makes sense. I have a problem with the AVCBrowser capture having no audio at times, but that has nothing to do with Toast. I'll give this a test tomorrow.

It seems I might have finally figured it out. I use VLC's Export Wizard and export it to an MPEG PS file. The problem I was having was editing the video in Toast's Video Player when I tried to cut out commercials, etc. The video is actually better than with the TS file it seems too. But it retains the Dolby 5.1 surround too. It seems that it is something to do with either Fox Sports or the NFL because other programs I download, via the Firewire connection, seem to play fine in MPEG Streamclip which is where I used to edit the video. But this, I think anyway, is a better soultion because the video is improve it seems.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any problems with it too. I would be curious. I live outside Philly and so I am also wondering if it is a Comcast issue here first since Comcast's headquarters is in Philly.

Thanks again and take care!

It seems I might have finally figured it out. I use VLC's Export Wizard and export it to an MPEG PS file. The problem I was having was editing the video in Toast's Video Player when I tried to cut out commercials, etc. The video is actually better than with the TS file it seems too. But it retains the Dolby 5.1 surround too. It seems that it is something to do with either Fox Sports or the NFL because other programs I download, via the Firewire connection, seem to play fine in MPEG Streamclip which is where I used to edit the video. But this, I think anyway, is a better soultion because the video is improve it seems.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any problems with it too. I would be curious. I live outside Philly and so I am also wondering if it is a Comcast issue here first since Comcast's headquarters is in Philly.

Thanks again and take care!

I just thought of something else. Does AVCBrowser say Copy Freely or Copy Once for that channel? If it is the latter then that explains everything.

Upon doing some testing I found a very cool process using Toast 10 (it might work in Toast 9 too but I didn't test it there). The captured .m2t stream is recognized by Toast when dragged to the video or convert windows but the Toast editor can't open it. When I tried my old method of using MPEG Streamclip to "convert to MPEG" the resulting video was a blocky mess. So I got the idea to use the unedited .m2t to save as disc image in Toast using the Blu-ray setting (I have the Blu-ray plug in). I set the Blu-ray encoding to MPEG 2 and never re-encode so Toast simply did multiplexing which went really fast. I then mounted the disc image and dragged the contained .m2ts file to Toast. This time Toast could read the file in the Toast Video Player/editor. So now I can edit out commercials or whatever and use that file as the source to make whatever I want. All this without using anything but Toast 10.

Edited by tsantee

Upon doing some testing I found a very cool process using Toast 10 (it might work in Toast 9 too but I didn't test it there). The captured .m2t stream is recognized by Toast when dragged to the video or convert windows but the Toast editor can't open it. When I tried my old method of using MPEG Streamclip to "convert to MPEG" the resulting video was a blocky mess. So I got the idea to use the unedited .m2t to save as disc image in Toast using the Blu-ray setting (I have the Blu-ray plug in). I set the Blu-ray encoding to MPEG 2 and never re-encode so Toast simply did multiplexing which went really fast. I then mounted the disc image and dragged the contained .m2ts file to Toast. This time Toast could read the file in the Toast Video Player/editor. So now I can edit out commercials or whatever and use that file as the source to make whatever I want. All this without using anything but Toast 10.

Yes, that does seem to work in Toast 9. I have never had any problem with Toast 9 recognizing m2t files actually but I could not edit them properly. I had to use VLC to convert this time. I will be curious to see this week when my Eagles game is broadcast on CBS as opposed to Fox whether there is any difference. It does seem to have something to do with the source as to what program will or will not work. But, so far, Toast 9 (and I assume 10 also), has really been great with Blu-Ray. It is a shame that there isn't a program for Blu-Ray that can edit like Apple's DVD Studio. I guess FCP can but my system can't handle that. I am using an over 10 year old Mac (Blue and White) that has been upgraded. I really need a new system!