Popcorn/Toast can't see DL media

zep00n

Question

Hi,

Trying to burn a DVD from VIDEO_TS folder using an external DVD drive (Lacie d2 DVD+RW DL over Firewire). Have installed latest DiscRecording support (1.23).

When I put a blank Verbatim DVD+R DL disk in, it doesn't show up as DL. It recognises dual layers though.

discinfo.jpeg

Even though the VIDEO_TS folder is 6.93GB in size, Popcorn and Toast still want to compress it, etc.

Is this an issue with the drive firmware? How can I get Popcorn/Toast to recognise that it is DL and not to compress the DVD - they want to reduce it by 37% which seems to indicate it thinks of it as a single layer disc.

Thanks

Brett

4 answers to this question

When I put a blank Verbatim DVD+R DL disk in, it doesn't show up as DL. It recognises dual layers though.

correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't DL stand for dual layer? if it's recognized as a DVD+R dual layer, doesn't it mean the same thing as being recognized as DVD+R DL?

correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't DL stand for dual layer? if it's recognized as a DVD+R dual layer, doesn't it mean the same thing as being recognized as DVD+R DL?

So, why does Popcorn insist on compressing the 7GB image if it can see a DL disk with 8GB free? Also, I've seen other screenshots on this forum where the Medium Type is listed as DVD+R DL.

That's a problem with the firmware of the drive. It is not correctly reading the media. You need to update the firmware to get it to see it correctly.

Thanks FreshBurn - I'll contact LaCie if see if they can give me some joy!

Popcorn says it will compress it (if needed). If you just put in the disc and burn, it will burn without compressing. Popcorn doesn't know if there is a DL or SL disc in the drive. It just knows that the data is about 7GB and depending on what disc you put in the drive, it will then decide if it needs compressed or not.

Archived