hermie54

LaCie d2 FireWire DVD SH-S162L error

Question

When recording data DVD's with my new LaCie external FireWire drive I get an error when I hit the burn button. Something like Not Supported, Sense Key and invalid entry in parameter list. Or some such...

I went looking in Toast's menu items for a button to show its operations log, but I can't find it. Neither can I find the log by hand. I wanted the log to get the exact text of what Toast thinks went wrong, thought that might come in handy when posting here. Isn't there a simple way to pop up the log, or is there no log?

Anyway, after hitting OK the window goes away and the burn starts as usual. It starts at 16x on Toast's Best setting but slows down after a while. Verification goes fine. So it does work, be it a bit iffy.

I always was under the impression that Toast works with all drives and doesn't need "support" like Retrospect for instance. Am I wrong? Is it too new to be "supported" by Toast 702? Or does it work differently with this app?

OK, this is the error I get, it says:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x26

INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST

This is with a brandnew LaCie d2 FireWire DVD, which for a few bucks more can also be bought with Toast 7 bundled. After hitting OK the DVD burns and verifies normally, I think.

There are a couple of things I would try:

1) Turn buffer under run prevention off.

2) Rather then selecting the 16x recording speed, tell it to use as fast as possible.

There is some negotiation between the drive and the media that affects burning speed and I see that even when both are rated at the same speeds they dont always like it if you order them to both do something that one of them is even slightly uncomfortable with.

The speed was set at "Best", but buffer underrun was indeed on. Next time I'll switch it off and see what happens.

Turning Buffer Underrun Prevention Off makes no difference at all, the error remains.

No explanation list in Toast's Help file and no Log button for trying to figure out what exactly it is that is requested "illegaly" by Toast. Me not exactly happy...

This also can be a media error. You may want to try a different brand and see if that helps. Drives only have some much space in memory for error codes, and sometimes they give bogus ones because the drive doesn't really know what happens.

It could just be the drive and media speeds don't like each other. Have you tried burning at a slow speed?

Lower speed makes no difference, the error remains. Quite irritating. No errors using Finder, of course.

I have just gotten this exact error too - but it is with only a single iDVD disk image that I am trying to burn. Another image burned to the very same piece of media that moments before threw this error, so Toast is not actually writing anything. Likewise, I see this error when I try to burn this image to any dual-layer media that I try to use. The only dual-layer media I use is Verbatim DVD+R DL (since I found it to be the best value for the dollar). So in my case it appears to be localised to a single piece of source material. However, I tossed this image and made iDVD create a new one but it causes Toast to throw the exact same error when I click the Burn button.

My dual-layer burner is also in a LaCie D2 case. It's a Pioneer DVR-109 with up to date firmware.

Do you see this error when you are trying to burn a particular piece of data to DVD, or do you get it no matter what you try to burn?

There are reports of this very error in Toast on the MacInTouch website, but it is in relation to Toast 5.1, a Yamaha burner, an audio CD and dates from 2001. (http://www.macintouch.com/toasttitanium.html about half-way down the page.) A similarly unresolved discussion on MacNN (http://forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-124394.html) also concerns Toast 5.1 and an audio CD.

All the other web hits that I get for the string:

"sense key" "illegal request" "sense code" 0x26 "invalid field in parameter list"

relate to SCSI devices or other 'nix operating systems.

I haven't burned anything else than using the Data tab on this recorder yet. Mostly music burned as data like dot flac and dot ape, plus media files that have lots of different extensions. I get the error with DVDs right after filling the RAM cache. But after clicking OK the disc burns and verifies fine. If I read the error message I take it that it means that Toast is asking illegal questions, whatever those might be...

This is a hardware issue, it isnt a Toast failure. You can argue that because it works by burning in the finder that it is a Toast issue. You could also argue that by replacing the drive with a different make and model it is a drive issue. Because obviously both of those cant be right, I would again recommend what freshburn recommended and experiement with several brands of media. Also check for any firmware updates that might be available for that drive.

I think this "Illegal Request" error may have something to do with Toast's big Burn button, because when I use my internal burner (which doesn't give an error) the button turns from red to blue while burning, but when using the external burner it turns from red to grey...

So far this only happens with DVD-Rs, the only other media I've used with the external were CDRs and those don't generate an error. Weird. Different request from Toast, perhaps?

Thank you very much for the info freshburn! I'll sure give it a try and see what happens.

I've been moaning to LaCie about the lack of firmware updates from their end, because on the Samsung site it looks like there have been four already. But since i haven't got a flash-thingie for Samsung the updates have to come from LaCie I'm afraid.

Oi! LaCie! If you don't get on with it this drive was the last thing I ever bought from you guys! Sorry, bit frustrated...

Of course, but LaCie has to make the firmware updates available. Windooze user can patch to their hearts content straight from the Samsung site, as usual...

OK, this is the error I get, it says:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x26

INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST

This is with a brandnew LaCie d2 FireWire DVD, which for a few bucks more can also be bought with Toast 7 bundled. After hitting OK the DVD burns and verifies normally, I think.

Hi I just bought a lacie d2 and I have exactly the same problem exept that it didn't burn the dvd I try it with different brand and it was the same so I return it to the shop an we tryed it on a different computer it was the same so I got it changed and it was exactly the same so I got a third one and then it was like you I get the same message error but then it seems to burn correctly ???

Yep and no error when burning at 4x. I've been moaning to LaCie about it asking them to post a firmware update, but I don't even get an answer.

Says it all I think, goodbye LaCie!

Well, guess what? I finally got an answer from LaCie USA. But... It isn't any good. They give me the advice to re-apply the OS X Combo Updater (I'm at 10.4.7 through Apple's Combo), a link to the latest DVD Update Tool which is from last year and not for the new d2 drives with Samsung mechanism. Then they mention Toast 7.0.1, can you believe it? Their website is on 7.0.2 BTW.

Further links for Lightscribe Host software and a FAQ on DVD media. And that was that. NOT A WORD about the necessary d2 Samsung mechanism Firmware flash, zilch! I pointed the problem out to them yet again, but so far not a word. To me this so called "support" says a lot about the sate of affairs at LaCie's. Sell as much stuff as possible, but don't care about keeping your customer's relevant software updated. Perhaps someone else has more success...

You obviously know a lot more. Can you elaborate a bit, please? I would think that if Samsung wants to sell a lot of their drives in a LaCie casing it's in their own interest to get their gear working properly. And LaCie's reputation is at stake...

I still don't understand why drive manufacturers won't post a small firmware flashing app for various operating systems themselves. It can't be that hard to do. Now we remain dependent on third party stuff, like NecFlash for my internal (also came in a LaCie box). Not sure here, but I think that guy stopped developement.