• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

hermie54

LaCie d2 FireWire DVD SH-S162L error

Question

When recording data DVD's with my new LaCie external FireWire drive I get an error when I hit the burn button. Something like Not Supported, Sense Key and invalid entry in parameter list. Or some such...

I went looking in Toast's menu items for a button to show its operations log, but I can't find it. Neither can I find the log by hand. I wanted the log to get the exact text of what Toast thinks went wrong, thought that might come in handy when posting here. Isn't there a simple way to pop up the log, or is there no log?

Anyway, after hitting OK the window goes away and the burn starts as usual. It starts at 16x on Toast's Best setting but slows down after a while. Verification goes fine. So it does work, be it a bit iffy.

I always was under the impression that Toast works with all drives and doesn't need "support" like Retrospect for instance. Am I wrong? Is it too new to be "supported" by Toast 702? Or does it work differently with this app?

Lacie is at the mercy of Samsung for issues like this. Since Samsung makes the drive and firmware, they have to fix the issue, then give that fix to Lacie for it's users. If Samsung refuses to fix the bug, then Lacie can't do anything.

I too feel that drive makers should make a Mac flash tool. Some have, but they don't want to deal with support issues. Even Apple won't release updates for it's own drives that are bug infested messes.

So, Mac users have to rely on hackers for firmware support. Sad but true. At least with an Intel Mac, one can install XP. Even sadder if you ask me.

I can't go into much more deal than that.

OK, thank you very much! I don't have an Intel Mac, but I do still have Virtual PC installed (mainly for the yearly tax stuff, which isn't really necessary anymore because nowadays our tax office or whatever one calls it releases a Mac version. Yep, really!).

Anyway, VPC doesn't recognise FireWire but the LaCie external also has an USB connector. Since I have an USB2-card in my G4, perhaps that would work. But then, this firmware-update might not be the same as Samsung's normal releases because of the LaCie-Mac-specific fault. I'm probably completely wrong here though...