• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Overlapping buttons

anamcara

Question

I have completed a project in MyDVD 8 Premier and am trying to burn to HD folder. The Validate project window opens and tells me I have overlapping menu buttons, six of these messages in fact. All trace to six buttons on one menu in the project. When I go to that menu and 'Select All' it shows me the outline of the buttons and they are not overlapping. However, in Preview I can see that the doohickey to the left of the button that appears when you hover over the button does overlap some of the other button's text area. So how do I get rid of the doohickey? I managed to do this inadvertently on another menu but haven't a clue how I did that and hope someone else knows, or knows what to do otherwise as I can't really expand the area that the buttons are using and I don't just want to add a submenu as it is not consistent with the rest of the project design.

The Validate dialog also offers the option to Burn Anyway as this is not a problem that should prevent burning according to the icons on the dialog box, but when I tried to burn, it burned the slideshow but when it got to the video (first menu not this one) it just hung.

[i was going to attach a jpg of the screen shot, but I can't seem to do that?]

thanks!

(one recommendation I do have for Roxio is to put a complete list of features available and missing in each version on their site. When you can't get a grayed out feature in a version and it tells you to upgrade to get it, then you pay to upgrade and you still can't get that magic control over buttons and menus that you expected and you are told to again upgrade to get that very same menu item, you start to get disillusioned customers who tend to opt to take a refund within 30 days rather than take the chance of upgrading again to still not get what they think they bought the first time. Just a suggestion)

2 answers to this question

I have completed a project in MyDVD 8 Premier and am trying to burn to HD folder. The Validate project window opens and tells me I have overlapping menu buttons, six of these messages in fact. All trace to six buttons on one menu in the project. When I go to that menu and 'Select All' it shows me the outline of the buttons and they are not overlapping. However, in Preview I can see that the doohickey to the left of the button that appears when you hover over the button does overlap some of the other button's text area. So how do I get rid of the doohickey? I managed to do this inadvertently on another menu but haven't a clue how I did that and hope someone else knows, or knows what to do otherwise as I can't really expand the area that the buttons are using and I don't just want to add a submenu as it is not consistent with the rest of the project design.

The Validate dialog also offers the option to Burn Anyway as this is not a problem that should prevent burning according to the icons on the dialog box, but when I tried to burn, it burned the slideshow but when it got to the video (first menu not this one) it just hung.

[i was going to attach a jpg of the screen shot, but I can't seem to do that?]

thanks!

(one recommendation I do have for Roxio is to put a complete list of features available and missing in each version on their site. When you can't get a grayed out feature in a version and it tells you to upgrade to get it, then you pay to upgrade and you still can't get that magic control over buttons and menus that you expected and you are told to again upgrade to get that very same menu item, you start to get disillusioned customers who tend to opt to take a refund within 30 days rather than take the chance of upgrading again to still not get what they think they bought the first time. Just a suggestion)

Here you go:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/mydvd/index.jhtml

And in case you want the real deal:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/family.jhtml

Hi Bruce,

Thanks, but I was at that link when I decided to upgrade from the MyDVD LE that came with my computer. I chose to buy the Premier version in order to get

"Enhanced Menu Design Control - Complete control over DVD menus & submenu customization, including background, text, buttons and layouts"

only I didn't get "complete control" when I bought the software. That chart doesn't say that all the Settings for buttons will still not be available. It doesn't say that I still won't be able to add unlinked buttons to attach to other content. It also doesn't say anything (or even suggest) that you need EMC Deluxe Suite in order to get all of the menu items in MyDVD 8 and VideoWave 8 to work.

In fact, the chart you sent for EMC 8 (both versions) says:

"Exercise full creative control over DVD menu options including buttons, menus, backgrounds, audio and text".

The only addition in that statement over MYDVD Premier is audio control on menus, so how would anyone know or suspect that EMC8 had anything more advanced control over menus and buttons since they both offer "complete control"? They wouldn't. I didn't buy EMC8 on the first go round because I did not need the photo suite software, nor backup, nor audio file features, nor data disk utilities. I have other software that does that stuff. I only wanted the best video editing and dvd burner features I could get. The web site lists those features for My DVD8 Premier which includes MyDVD8 and VideoWave8. So I still think they need to clarify, in detail, what each program does and doesn't do compared to their other products. I am not slamming Roxio, I simply think most people like to make an informed decision and buy the appropriate product... the first time.

I can always simply exercise my option to claim a full refund within 30 days; that is a nice option. And then I may buy EMC8 even though it has a lot of stuff I already have other software to do that I don't need. But whether I do upgrade or decide to try Cyberlink Power Director 5 instead probably depends on whether I can even burn a DVD with the software that I have now from Roxio because I don't think those features in MyDVD8 are any more 'enhanced' in the EMC Suite.

Right now, I can't burn a DVD for a completed project. It encodes the first item (a slideshow) but then gets to 13% in the Recording process and then just hangs. No error message, no nothing. And THAT was the purpose of my first post, the note about features was just a suggestion to Roxio (some companies do like constructive feedback).

I am still looking for a way to fix the message that buttons are overlapping when they are not, in case that is causing the hanging problem as that seems the only thing that is out of the ordinary in the whole process.

So I will wait and see if someone has a solution on the other thread where several people are having the same hanging problem. I have another week to ask for a refund, I can wait...

Still hoping someone can be helpful.

Archived