• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Wave 8 does not work at all

kerichsen

Question

:) I bought the photo Suite/Video Wave Premiere Suite package. machine:

W2K SP 2 512 mgb ram, Pentium IV 300 ghz. Two 250 gb hard drives with wide open spaces. Had Roxio Easy Media 6.1 installed, but I removed it.

Symptoms: going through the "Roxio Home" icon, I click on "edit video" for instance, to get to Video Wave. It allows me to create a project and sele3ct a storyline frame. Labels to the items in the Task pane show up, but nothing happens when I click on them. "Add photo/video" does nothing, "Show Media Selector" does nothing, for two examples. On the pull down menus, Production | Add Photo/Video "works" but results in a Program error (video Wave 8.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows). I presuime Dr Watson is logging all this ... the dmp file is 80 mb.

Other parts of the suite work to a degree. MyDVD allows me to select video clips, prompts me for which "movie" I want, and then does nothing. The preview screen stays blank, and the menu does not display.

My initial response to this software is that it's worthless. If it would do what it purports to do, it would be good. Otherwise, I will take advantage of the 30 day refund. Please advise if you can trouble-shoot this situaiton.

9 answers to this question

W2K SP 2 512 mgb ram, Pentium IV 300 ghz. Two 250 gb hard drives with wide open spaces. Had Roxio Easy Media 6.1 installed, but I removed it.

Symptoms: going through the "Roxio Home" icon, I click on "edit video" for instance, to get to Video Wave. It allows me to create a project and sele3ct a storyline frame. Labels to the items in the Task pane show up, but nothing happens when I click on them. "Add photo/video" does nothing, "Show Media Selector" does nothing, for two examples. On the pull down menus, Production | Add Photo/Video "works" but results in a Program error (video Wave 8.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows). I presuime Dr Watson is logging all this ... the dmp file is 80 mb.

Other parts of the suite work to a degree. MyDVD allows me to select video clips, prompts me for which "movie" I want, and then does nothing. The preview screen stays blank, and the menu does not display.

My initial response to this software is that it's worthless. If it would do what it purports to do, it would be good. Otherwise, I will take advantage of the 30 day refund. Please advise if you can trouble-shoot this situaiton.

I have to say im amazed it even runs EMC8 with 512 ram, This is the absolute bair minimum to run with..

Minimum requirements are also W2000 service pack 4. Check out the rest of the specification for those products to make sure that you meet or exceed them. DirectX 9© is very important.

Also what video card do you have and when did you last update the drivers? Most of the problems with "visual" errors is because the video card is not up to date or is inadequate

For PhotoSuite the minimums are:

• Intel® Pentium® III1.6 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent required for real-time MPEG-2 capture and burning
  • Windows XP Professional, Home or MCE Edition, with Service Pack 2 or later
  • Windows 2000, with Service Pack 4 or later
  • 256MB RAM (512MB recommended)
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • Microsoft Windows Media Player 10.0 or later
  • CD/DVD recordable drive
  • Color video display adapter with at least 16MB VRAM (64MB recommended)
  • 1024 x 768, 16-bit color graphics card
  • 16-bit Windows-compatible sound card
  • 1GB of free hard disk space for typical installation of all components
  • 1GB of free hard disk space for every 5 minutes of video (for video capture)
  • QuickTime 6.5 software recommended

Hey I absolutely agree with kerichsen... This program is crap. Although it runs just fine on my computer (intel pention IV 2.4gzh, 300 GB hard drive, 1gig Ram, and some good video card of which i dont know) it makes problems like ive never seen before. It can't even do the basics of my editing needs, such as coloring (and yes, if I paid 100 dollars for it, I don't think i should be buying premium package too) and rendering without having effects fall off of the video in the last second of each clip. Also, the audio editing is so basic: just volume and fade-in. In my other programs I can even go to surround sound... heck, actually I can even do amazing stereo editing! Wow, that Is not possible in EMC8! And the few controlled tracks are inssuficiant for my needs... well, anyway, these small issues are some i could deal with, but here comes the cool parts:

.AVI files are totally unsuported by this program what-so-ever, and they render only sound.

Rendering is fast (i must admit), but has so many video effect glitches in it it's not even funny.

Speacking of effects, (pre-set effects), when I add any to the video the program crashes.

Overlay control is better than in EMC7, but not as good as in other pgrms that only cost $50.

"widescreen support" is good and all, but good luck if you have a widescreen clip pre-rendered in fullscreen.

It will never be able to stretch to be widescreen. I have to use windows movie maker for that.

Files firewired into the computer through EMC8 capture device are 80% of the time corrupt.

High definition files are exactly the same as standard files (i see no difference in quality)

The control interphase of the program is horrible. Its so unorganized and makes the program slow!

Roxio costomer support is a forum.

Those are just the tip of the iceburg. If I think about it, I'm sure Ill find at least about 100 more issues that are vitally distrupting my video editing. All I ask of you (any one) is if you are big into editing (and I don't mean just editing your friends wedding, I mean like real movies that you actually need to look good with transactions, effects, greenscreen, and sound), and your program does not seem to be doing this trouble to you, tell me how you do it. Tell me how to rid of those glitches! Tell me how to make .AVI files work again! But I doubt that there will be a response to that...

So basically, I advise nobody to buy this bundle of money-waisting cd-roms (without a purpose) and go buy yourself something cheaper and better.

Hey I absolutely agree with kerichsen... This program is crap. Although it runs just fine on my computer (intel pention IV 2.4gzh, 300 GB hard drive, 1gig Ram, and some good video card of which i dont know) it makes problems like ive never seen before. It can't even do the basics of my editing needs, such as coloring (and yes, if I paid 100 dollars for it, I don't think i should be buying premium package too) and rendering without having effects fall off of the video in the last second of each clip. Also, the audio editing is so basic: just volume and fade-in. In my other programs I can even go to surround sound... heck, actually I can even do amazing stereo editing! Wow, that Is not possible in EMC8! And the few controlled tracks are inssuficiant for my needs... well, anyway, these small issues are some i could deal with, but here comes the cool parts:

.AVI files are totally unsuported by this program what-so-ever, and they render only sound.

Rendering is fast (i must admit), but has so many video effect glitches in it it's not even funny.

Speacking of effects, (pre-set effects), when I add any to the video the program crashes.

Overlay control is better than in EMC7, but not as good as in other pgrms that only cost $50.

"widescreen support" is good and all, but good luck if you have a widescreen clip pre-rendered in fullscreen.

It will never be able to stretch to be widescreen. I have to use windows movie maker for that.

Files firewired into the computer through EMC8 capture device are 80% of the time corrupt.

High definition files are exactly the same as standard files (i see no difference in quality)

The control interphase of the program is horrible. Its so unorganized and makes the program slow!

Roxio costomer support is a forum.

Those are just the tip of the iceburg. If I think about it, I'm sure Ill find at least about 100 more issues that are vitally distrupting my video editing. All I ask of you (any one) is if you are big into editing (and I don't mean just editing your friends wedding, I mean like real movies that you actually need to look good with transactions, effects, greenscreen, and sound), and your program does not seem to be doing this trouble to you, tell me how you do it. Tell me how to rid of those glitches! Tell me how to make .AVI files work again! But I doubt that there will be a response to that...

So basically, I advise nobody to buy this bundle of money-waisting cd-roms (without a purpose) and go buy yourself something cheaper and better.

What do you mean .avi files are totally unsupported? You are wrong.

Excuse me, but this is crap! :)

Photo Suite/Video Wave Premier Suite 's hardware requirements are, and I quote the side panel of the box:

<<1024 x 768 16 bit color graphics card. 24 bit or 32 bit true color recommended. DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card.>>

Not a word about minimum video ram specs.

Nice of you to tell me it requires the card requires 16 mb ram and preferably 64 mb in order for the program to run before I bought the blighter. Can you at least tell your graphics department that they need to get the tech specs right?

As for the rest, yes, yes, yes, my machine meets all the below requirements. But only 4 mb ram on the graphics card. I tried the software on a very similar machine (P-IV-2.8 ghz, video card with 64 mb ram instead of this one, a P-IV-3.0 ghz with 4 mb video ram)

Btw, I believe Media Player 10 requires Win XP to run. I am running W2kSP4 with Media Player 9, which seems adequate.

So update your box info, huh?

--------------------------------------------------------

Minimum requirements are also W2000 service pack 4. :huh::D Check out the rest of the specification for those products to make sure that you meet or exceed them. DirectX 9© is very important.

Also what video card do you have and when did you last update the drivers? Most of the problems with "visual" errors is because the video card is not up to date or is inadequate

For PhotoSuite the minimums are:

• Intel® Pentium® III1.6 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent required for real-time MPEG-2 capture and burning
  • Windows XP Professional, Home or MCE Edition, with Service Pack 2 or later
  • Windows 2000, with Service Pack 4 or later
  • 256MB RAM (512MB recommended)
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • Microsoft Windows Media Player 10.0 or later
  • CD/DVD recordable drive
  • Color video display adapter with at least 16MB VRAM (64MB recommended)
  • 1024 x 768, 16-bit color graphics card
  • 16-bit Windows-compatible sound card
  • 1GB of free hard disk space for typical installation of all components
  • 1GB of free hard disk space for every 5 minutes of video (for video capture)
  • QuickTime 6.5 software recommended

Photo Suite/Video Wave Premier Suite 's hardware requirements are, and I quote the side panel of the box:

<<1024 x 768 16 bit color graphics card. 24 bit or 32 bit true color recommended. DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card.>>

Nice of you to tell me it requires the card requires 16 mb ram and preferably 64 mb in order for the program to run before I bought the blighter. Can you at least tell your graphics department that they need to get the tech specs right?

As for the rest, yes, yes, yes, my machine meets all the below requirements. But only 4 mb ram on the graphics card. I tried the software on a very similar machine (P-IV-2.8 ghz, video card with 64 mb ram instead of this one, a P-IV-3.0 ghz with 4 mb video ram)

Btw, I believe Media Player 10 requires Win XP to run. I am running W2kSP4 with Media Player 9, which seems adequate.

The folks who are replying to you do not work for Roxio, so you are barking up the wrong tree. If your video chip does not have more than 16MB of RAM, it is doubtful that it would support most video editing programs that came out 5 years ago!

Read the minimum requirements on the Roxio Products page. It specifies the minimum requirements for the video card. Yours isn't close.

What is also crap is that you cannot even take the time to make sure what you post. In your original post, you said that you had ..

"W2K SP 2 512 mgb ram, Pentium IV 300 ghz. Two 250 gb hard drives with wide open spaces."

Now you say you have SP4. Which is it? What else did you mis-type?

Do you have (can you put) DirectX 9 or better on your computer? I doubt that your video will handle it.

Again, contact Roxio; this is a users group and we have no control over what Roxio does.

my machine meets all the below requirements. But only 4 mb ram on the graphics card. I tried the software on a very similar machine (P-IV-2.8 ghz, video card with 64 mb ram instead of this one, a P-IV-3.0 ghz with 4 mb video ram)
I know you gotta be kidding. I haven't seen a video card sold in the past ten years with only 4MB of memory. If this is true, there is NO WAY you could do 1024X768 at 16 bit which is minimum. You MIGHT be able to do VGA at 16bit. Why on earth would you be running a 3Ghz machine with such a low end video card? Even 64MB of video RAM is considered low end these days. I just bought a PCIe nVidia 7300GS card with 256MB for only $69 after rebates. Do yourself a big favor and buy a new video card.

Archived