• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Selecting sections from a VOB file

guywithdogs

Question

I'm trying to help create a year-end video for the school band, and the software being used is MyDVD 8. The source files are on the hard disk as VOB files, plus a smattering of JPG and BMP that will get used in a slideshow.

What I'm having trouble understanding is how to extract "clips" or "sections" from various VOBs to make a single movie. For example, there's a bunch of clips where the band members were asked questions and the responses were recorded. These are found in three separate VOB files, with each file having 5 or 6 small sections I'd like to grab. What I want to end up with is a movie entry called "Your Thoughts" that then shows these clips one after the other, extracted from the various source files.

This is proving to be incredibly frustrating. It got to the point where I grabbed a different utility that can split sections out of files, but I'm not totally happy with that approach.

Is there a way to do what I want, within the MyDVD suite of tools?

Thanks.

19 answers to this question

Latest DirectX

Yes, Microsoft has updated DirectX 9.0c without changing the number or letter.

...but at least their product WORKS!
Caveat - at least it works for you. I've never had any problems with Videowave or MyDVD 8. I'm not a programmer and I do find it puzzling how an app will work fine for some and not for others. My first video editor was Pinnacle System's Video Studio 7. Couldn't get anything done without it crashing. Upgraded to Studio 8 and 9 and never was happy. I've been a happy EMC user since.

If you purchased only MyDVD 8 Essentials or MyDVD 8 Premier, they have limited editing capabilites. MyDVD is aimed more at just creating the menus, chapters, etc.

The Sonic/Roxio product for editing is Videowave 8. Full versions of Videowave and MyDVD 8 are included in Easy Media Creator 8 Standard and Deluxe.

If you purchased EMC 8 Deluxe version, this is not an issue. The deluxe version has ALL features enabled. The Deluxe verison is well worth the extra money even if the Dazzle wasn't included. Besides all the new features, EMC8 Deluxe also comes with the two DVD MENU STYLE packs that they sell separate.

I also own:

Ulead Video Studio 8, Adobe Premiere Elements 2, Sony Vegas Studio + DVD, Serif's Movie Plus 5, plus what was preinstalled on this new computer.

I used to be a Pinnacle Systems Studio user, but after V7,8, & 9, I could never get a project done without it crashing and losing hours of work. Needless to say, I don't recommend Pinnacle.

Each of the above editors have their strengths and weaknesses. Although a few of them maybe 'technically' more advanced, I still perfer to use EMC 8 because the user interface is much easy to understand (for me). On some projects, I may use one or more of the products for different purposes.

I have successfully used "Capture" to import VOB files when re-naming has not worked. This method also permits one to use any automatic scene detection offered by whatever program you're using to do the Capture. (same technique as capturing from a Mini-DV tape device -- just point the source to a file).

From what I can see on the Roxio site, the EMC 8 "Deluxe" edition requires Windows XP. I run Windows 2K as it is more stable than XP and it supports my Dell dual CPU (Xenon processor) workstation without having to go to a "Server" version of Windows. The Dual CPU's make a huge difference in Real-Time rendering while working within NLE programs and final rendering to MPEG2 clips orwhen dealing with Video.

I'm currently battling the "Encoding stops in the middle" problem widely reported on this forum with EMC 8 so was looking at upgrades to Deluxe (not available yet at the promised $20 price) but if it doesn't support Windows 2000, it is a non-starter for me anyway.

I too downloaded Ulead Version 10 trial last night. After a ruined weekend battling MyDVD Ver8 inability to burn my project without "hanging" at 98% complete and filling the burn log with the same message over-and-over, I was able to produce a decent finished DVD in less than two hours. (which by the way, also burns fine with Sonic MyDVD LE Ver 5 if you don't want linked chapter menus) ...but I'd prefer to preserve my investment in Roxio if they'd fix the bugs in MyDVD. Roxio also has classier DVD Menu templates.

Mr. Russell's comments about HARDWARE rendering being unique to EMC8 may have some bearing. It appears that my VOB files are MUCH larger with EMC8 than with Ulead or Sonic MyDVD ver 5, requiring lower quality/bit rate settings to fit on a single DVD. The smaller test Video that I WAS able to create with EMC-8 looked horrible - like a 5th generation VCR tape copy. I will try the SW rendering mode setting tonight. My NVIDIA Quadro900 graphics card is optimized for 3D Design & CAD more than for Video. Though it was a $750 card when it came out 3 years ago, it may be that it is causing problems with EMC-8 encoding. (the EMC 8 and DirectX dxdiag.exe graphics tests do just fine however, and I have no problems with Premier Pro, Photoshop, or Roxio Ver 7, or high-end games like Oblivion etc.).

It appears from the many frustrated users of EMC-8 that the code-base switch coming out of the Roxio and Sonic merger has had many un-intended, and mostly undesirable, consequences. Hopefully Roxio/Sonic will do the right thing and make their upgrade/restitution strategy for EMC8 users reflect the huge amount of frustration and lost time they've experienced with EMC8. Asking for another $99 is not it.

BAZ

Dell WS650, Dual 2.8GHz Xenon CPU, 2GB RAM, 300GB SCSI Discs, NVIDIA Quadro 4 900, Dual Dell UltraSharp displays.

From what I can see on the Roxio site, the EMC 8 "Deluxe" edition requires Windows XP.

It appears that my VOB files are MUCH larger with EMC8 than with Ulead or Sonic MyDVD ver 5, requiring lower quality/bit rate settings to fit on a single DVD. The smaller test Video that I WAS able to create with EMC-8 looked horrible - like a 5th generation VCR tape copy. I will try the SW rendering mode setting tonight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not notice that or forgot that you need XP SP2 for the deluxe; the other versions run with W2000 SP 4.

Concerning file size and rendering quality. There are tons of posts that address this. What counts is how much time you can put on a disc rather than file size. At absolute best quality you can get one hour of video on a single sided disc --- but if you do the following, you can get much more (almost 2 hrs) at very good quality on a disc. That project will show much larger than the 4.3G for the disc but disregard that.

When you have completed your project in MyDVD and get ready to burn, uncheck burn to disc and select create image (iso) file, and best quality (uncheck fit to disc). Let the project render to the iso file. When it has completed, use disc copier to copy the iso file to the disc. I don't remember if you get a warning or not but just acknowledge it (continue). The copy program will automatically adjust the quality to fit the entire iso file on the disc. Most people don't notice the difference between one hour on the disc and a somewhat longer time.

From what I can see on the Roxio site, the EMC 8 "Deluxe" edition requires Windows XP. I run Windows 2K as it is more stable than XP and it supports my Dell dual CPU (Xenon processor) workstation without having to go to a "Server" version of Windows.
Windows XP has been quite stable on all the machines that I have seen. The few times I've seen a 'major' problem was not the OS, but a errant application or bad driver. I just installed Adobe Premiere Elements 2 and it caused the machine to reboot everytime I ran it. According to 'Adobe', it is caused by a poor Realtek audio driver. Updating the Realtek driver fixed the problem, but why is it that ONLY Adobe's product had that serious of an issue with the older driver?

As for SMP support, Windows XP Pro and Media Center both support dual processor and dual core processors. You do NOT need to purchase a 'server' version.

Your NVIDIA Quadro900 graphics card should work just fine. I'm sure it supports the 3D DirectX commands required by Videowave and MyDVD. The way I understand it, Videowave only off-loads to the GPU for those specific 3D transitions and effects. It doesn't use the GPU for all video rendering.

I find the quality issue confusing. On my last machine - AMD Athlon 3000+ - I didn't see any difference between V7 and V8. In fact, my 80yr old mother thought V8 was better. I also ran the same test on Sony Vegas Studio 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 2, Ulead Studio 8, Serif's Movie Plus 4 and DVDit Pro 6. I forget the raking, but I still thought Videowave 8 file looked the best. I'm thinking it is a codec issue since I have so many other video apps installed. Who knows for sure?

I just purchased a new Media Center with dual core processor and will rerun the same test later in the week or next weekend, but mostly to see if the new processor makes a difference in speed. I will also compare the quality again.

I use a video test specifically designed to test MPEG encoders that was created by StreamCrest. It is UNCOMPRESSED (8 secs is 256MB) video. If you would like it, you need to download two files to generate it. Get them here

Any custom menu you have created won't be lost. Just start a new Videowave project. Rename the .VOB to .MPG to use them in Videowave. Then 'add video/image' and add the Videowave project to the MyDVD project.

I appreciate you answering these questions on a Sunday (at least for me here).

Your suggestion helped only a bit. I can do the "add video", but the renamed file comes in as 11 seconds long. The file is much longer than that.

My directory contains the following files:

12/31/2002  08:00 AM		   163,840 VIDEO_TS.BUP
12/31/2002  08:00 AM		   163,840 VIDEO_TS.IFO
12/31/2002  08:00 AM			38,912 VIDEO_TS.VOB
12/31/2002  08:00 AM			65,536 VTS_01_0.BUP
12/31/2002  08:00 AM			65,536 VTS_01_0.IFO
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,758,656 VTS_01_1.VOB
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,711,552 VTS_01_2.VOB
05/28/2006  02:36 PM		 4,661,760 VTS_01_2_split001.avi
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,578,432 VTS_01_3.VOB
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,564,096 VTS_01_4.VOB
05/28/2006  03:50 PM	   179,654,660 VTS_01_4_split001.mpeg
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   812,124,160 VTS_01_5.VOB

The clip I want right now is at the start of VTS_01_4.VOB. That's the file I renamed to VTS_01_4.mpg (I've since deleted that .mpg file). The clip is about 2 minutes 30 seconds long.

The smaller "split" files were from a different utility that can takes sections from a VOB. The problem with those was the encoding - quality was poor on the files extracted. I may be forced to pursue that route, though, to get this done.

From reading this forum, it seems that a number of users are unhappy with the EMC 8 release. Were the 7 or 7.5 releases better for this sort of thing? I tried burning a DVD as well. It worked on 2 PCs, and 1 of 2 DVD players here at home. I'm not having a lot of faith in this product being able to get the job done reliably....

EMC8 perfectly fine for me and I haven't seen any difference in the quality between V7 and V8. Perhaps I'm an exception.

Does Media Import come with MyDVD8 Premier? If it does, you should be able to 'convert' the original DVD those files are on.

Insert the DVd into your drive

Launch Media IMport

Click on the VIDEO tab

Select the Drive

You should see a list of the clips. Import only the ones you need.

You should be able to use any of those imported files in Videowave. Sorry don't have any other suggestions.

Does Media Import come with MyDVD8 Premier? If it does, you should be able to 'convert' the original DVD those files are on.

Insert the DVd into your drive

Launch Media IMport

Click on the VIDEO tab

Select the Drive

You should see a list of the clips. Import only the ones you need.

You should be able to use any of those imported files in Videowave. Sorry don't have any other suggestions.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll look into that option - the files were already on the target PC when I got involved in the project. Copied from DVD-Rs provided by various parents who shot video of band activities. I'm pretty sure the DVDs are still around. I'll see whether the import makes a difference.

Really appreciate the help!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not notice that or forgot that you need XP SP2 for the deluxe; the other versions run with W2000 SP 4.

Concerning file size and rendering quality. There are tons of posts that address this. What counts is how much time you can put on a disc rather than file size. At absolute best quality you can get one hour of video on a single sided disc --- but if you do the following, you can get much more (almost 2 hrs) at very good quality on a disc. That project will show much larger than the 4.3G for the disc but disregard that.

When you have completed your project in MyDVD and get ready to burn, uncheck burn to disc and select create image (iso) file, and best quality (uncheck fit to disc). Let the project render to the iso file. When it has completed, use disc copier to copy the iso file to the disc. I don't remember if you get a warning or not but just acknowledge it (continue). The copy program will automatically adjust the quality to fit the entire iso file on the disc. Most people don't notice the difference between one hour on the disc and a somewhat longer time.

==============================================================

Steve -

I think you hit at least one nail on the head. Thank you for two valuable tips! (1) it's OK to ignore the file size predictor and continue w. the burn and (2) how to squeeze more good quality video on a single DVD

As an experiment early this AM, I turned off "Fit to Disc" and set quality at 360 x 480 Interlaced @ 4.50 (low) bit rate. Even tho it said my 97 minute project was still 550 Mb over the 4.7GB limit, it created a 4.3 GB ISO file and burned the DVD (which was again - predictably - poor quality - but hey, at least MyDVD8 didn't HANG in the middle of encoding).

I compared the VOB files from the DVD produced 2 years ago with MyDVD 5 (exact same MPEG input file) to the VOB file produced by EMC8 (with low-qual settings) and I'm seeing about 20% larger file and the aforementioned poorer quality in the EMC8 result.

What has been confusing me is that the early Sonic MyDVD 5 and Roxio 7 were not complaining about the project size. All I'm doing with EMC8 is taking 9 "Movies" (sep MPG files) and putting 8 of them as a single movie under a linked "Play All" button, and the 9th as a 3 minuite trailer clip. With MyDVD-5 and Rox7 the DVD menus required the user to select each clip before it would play...but the entire project fit 1 DVD-R.

As Mr. Russell points out, it may be a CODEC issue. Ulead and MyDVD-5 encoded the 720x480x8Mbs source MPEGs at good quality in a single burn step. Evidently MyDVD-8 fit-to-disk cannot, so it just stops when it sees it can't "fit to disc" ?

If I understand you correctly, only the 3D transitions in MyDVD and/or Videowave are rendered in the GPU Hardware. I'm not using any of those -- I've edited all transitions into the 9 MPEG files themselves with my non-linear editor. (Using a mix of Premier and Arcsoft Showbiz when the MPEG's were created in 2004).

So it would appear that the MyDVD-8 CODEC is not compressing as efficiently and that the more complex linked Menu + 8 chapter sub-menu thing is consuming more space (any way to actually tell how much space the DVD Menus consume?)

I'll try the Touchy two-step as you suggest tonight and hopefully can report success in producing a usable DVD with EMC-8.

MyDVD should not re-render if:

The file is DVD Compliant AND it will fit on the disc AND the bitrate falls within MyDVDs abilities.

For example, I use my LiteOn set top recorder to record a 2 hr movie. I then use TMPGenc MPEG to cut out the commercials and output to a single MPG file. The resulting file is 720X480 @4650Kbps with MPEG audio. I can add this file to MyDVD and it will NOT re-render the video, but it does transcode the audio to AC3. For me, this process works great so far ( knock on wood).

Personally, I feel that the largest draw back in MyDVD is the available bitrates. I should be able to choose ANY DVD compliant bitrate which goes a lot lower than 4Mbps.

MyDVD should not re-render if:

The file is DVD Compliant AND it will fit on the disc AND the bitrate falls within MyDVDs abilities.

================

Yes, you are correct. MyDVD-8 is only transcoding the 9 MPEG2 files that were rendered by a NLE program into 720x480 8Mb files with 448KHz sampling rate on the audio. My challenge is to pack this all onto one DVD with the enhanced DVD menu structure and template that EMC-8 offers.

Meanwhile - to guyswithdogs who is working the band video and started this thread

-- I don't think MyDVD alone will do what you need without a lot of work. MyDVD can only "trim" those files, that is, it can remove frames from the start or the end of the file. Selecting each scene this way is labor intensive. You would greatly benefit from a Non-Linear Editor (NLE) like Roxio's Videowave 8 that is part of Easy Media Creator 8, or any of a dozen other widely used Video editors out there (including the Windows Movie bundled with XP).

After you get the VOB file either renamed or Captured into MPEG2 format, you would use the NLE to select the scenes you want to stitch together into the new movie. Once you get one or more re-stitched MPG2 files with the sequences in the order that you want, you'd return to the DVD Authoring program ->MyDVD to actually create the DVD Menus recognized by consumer DVD players, transcode your MPG2 files, and burn your DVD.

Hopefully when you get to that point, the issues raised in my post and the suggestions offered by the Gurus here will help you too!

Make sure you have really changed the format when you rename the VOB files.

They should be "(name).mpg". If you see the full name as "(Name).mpg.vob", they will not be recognized as mpg files. You may see this as an 11 second video but no one else has reported that.

Not all players will recognize a home burned DVD for one or more of several reasons. 1) It just won't, 2) It will play only plus R or dash R but not both. 3) If you used an RW disc, it may not play those 3)One of your DVD players is going bad or needs cleaning (perhaps some dog hair? Blow it out with canned dry air.) Read your owners manual to see what it will play.

Since it played on both computers and one player, the disc was burned properly. In the future when you go to burn, burn (render) the project to an image file (uncheck the other options). Let it render. When it finishes, navigate to the iso file and copy it to your disc using disc copier. This separates the rendering from the bung and seems to produce discs that play in a wider variety of players. If you have to make additional copies, just use disc copier to copy the iso file rather than to copy disc to disc.

You are seeing mostly the negatives when you read posts. Maybe a few people with no problem will come and describe how well it works for them but not many. The other posts you will see are those where the poster needs some help in doing something. In those cases, the tutorials or the use of the manual do not cover that specific action. In fact, I doubt if the iso method is discussed much.

I appreciate you answering these questions on a Sunday (at least for me here).

Your suggestion helped only a bit. I can do the "add video", but the renamed file comes in as 11 seconds long. The file is much longer than that.

My directory contains the following files:

12/31/2002  08:00 AM		   163,840 VIDEO_TS.BUP
12/31/2002  08:00 AM		   163,840 VIDEO_TS.IFO
12/31/2002  08:00 AM			38,912 VIDEO_TS.VOB
12/31/2002  08:00 AM			65,536 VTS_01_0.BUP
12/31/2002  08:00 AM			65,536 VTS_01_0.IFO
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,758,656 VTS_01_1.VOB
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,711,552 VTS_01_2.VOB
05/28/2006  02:36 PM		 4,661,760 VTS_01_2_split001.avi
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,578,432 VTS_01_3.VOB
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   962,564,096 VTS_01_4.VOB
05/28/2006  03:50 PM	   179,654,660 VTS_01_4_split001.mpeg
12/31/2002  08:00 AM	   812,124,160 VTS_01_5.VOB

The clip I want right now is at the start of VTS_01_4.VOB. That's the file I renamed to VTS_01_4.mpg (I've since deleted that .mpg file). The clip is about 2 minutes 30 seconds long.

The smaller "split" files were from a different utility that can takes sections from a VOB. The problem with those was the encoding - quality was poor on the files extracted. I may be forced to pursue that route, though, to get this done.

From reading this forum, it seems that a number of users are unhappy with the EMC 8 release. Were the 7 or 7.5 releases better for this sort of thing? I tried burning a DVD as well. It worked on 2 PCs, and 1 of 2 DVD players here at home. I'm not having a lot of faith in this product being able to get the job done reliably....

Make sure you have really changed the format when you rename the VOB files.

They should be "(name).mpg". If you see the full name as "(Name).mpg.vob", they will not be recognized as mpg files. You may see this as an 11 second video but no one else has reported that.

I'm positive I changed the name correctly. VideoWave just sees it as an 11 second video for some reason.

It may be something to do with the source. Other files from other sources (by this I mean a DVD provided from a different parent, using a different camera - I have no idea how the disk we got was created) could be brought into MyDVD and added very easily - the various "movies" showed up as small sections I could pick and choose from. Some other VOB files are problematic.

Since it played on both computers and one player, the disc was burned properly. In the future when you go to burn, burn (render) the project to an image file (uncheck the other options). Let it render. When it finishes, navigate to the iso file and copy it to your disc using disc copier. This separates the rendering from the bung and seems to produce discs that play in a wider variety of players. If you have to make additional copies, just use disc copier to copy the iso file rather than to copy disc to disc.

This is great advice. Thanks.

You are seeing mostly the negatives when you read posts. Maybe a few people with no problem will come and describe how well it works for them but not many. The other posts you will see are those where the poster needs some help in doing something. In those cases, the tutorials or the use of the manual do not cover that specific action. In fact, I doubt if the iso method is discussed much.

I understand your comments about people posting who need help. Two things struck me: the people here, like yourself and ggrussell, are extremely helpful. But I also noticed that there are a lot of issues dating back a few months that seem to have no resolution, or where the comment was along the lines "This used to work in v 7; it got left out of v 8".

At the risk of stirring some controversy, I'll mention that I downloaded the Ulead Videostudio and DVD MovieFactory "try before you buy" versions last night. Interesting comparison - the VideoStudio seemed to do the editing I wanted, but the MovieFactory was very limited, compared to MyDVD. As I've had little exposure to this sort of software before, it's interesting to see what's available and the capabilities built in.

I find the quality issue confusing. On my last machine - AMD Athlon 3000+ - I didn't see any difference between V7 and V8. In fact, my 80yr old mother thought V8 was better. I also ran the same test on Sony Vegas Studio 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 2, Ulead Studio 8, Serif's Movie Plus 4 and DVDit Pro 6. I forget the raking, but I still thought Videowave 8 file looked the best. I'm thinking it is a codec issue since I have so many other video apps installed. Who knows for sure?

====================

Steve, Gary -

I'm sorry to report that after four more hours of trying to get MyDVD-8 to encode a DVD the thing still just STOPS at 98 or 99% no matter how I set the Video Quality, HW versus SW rendering, etc. I did not try to burn to DVD -- I was just trying to create an ISO image file as you suggested. I've pasted a few lines from the Burn Log below -- at the point that it stops encoding, it will keep writing the "No Samples Received" message until the user cancels the operation or it fills up the disc with the ever expanding log file.

You can see that the two yellow status bars are at 95 (Project) and 99% (this movie) at the point where it quit in this example.

GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 2040017 param2 = 4166884

GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_TIME : param1 76984 param2 = 157231

BurnerState_EncodingTitle : 99 / 95

GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 2040222 param2 = 4166884

GEV_VOBGRAPH_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 85011 param2 = 1142

GEV_VOBGRAPH_NO_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 0 param2 = 0

I'm at a loss as to what to do to get this thing to WORK. The DVD Menu Structure is:

- Intro Video (None)

- First Menu Item: Play Wedding Video

-- Movie 1 Has 8 Chapters (each a separate MPEG file added as linked sub-menu)

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

-- 2nd Sub Menue

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

-- 2nd "Home Screen" menu item is "Play Trailer

One 3 minute fully rendered slide show in a 67Mb MPEG2 file

BTW, the encoder is not re-rendering these MPEG2 files created by my NLE. The little Encoding monitor screen goes grey with the Roxio Logo during the encoding process.

Is it possible that trying to encode too much video (over 2 hours) could cause MyDVD to just hang like this?

When it stops at 99%, the size of the ISO file is usually 4.1 to 4.3 Gigs.

At a loss as to what to do next other than revert to the crummy look and limited menu capability of Sonic MyDVD 5.

"This used to work in v 7; it got left out of v 8".
If you purchased EMC 8 Deluxe version, this is not an issue. The deluxe version has ALL features enabled. The Deluxe verison is well worth the extra money even if the Dazzle wasn't included. Besides all the new features, EMC8 Deluxe also comes with the two DVD MENU STYLE packs that they sell separate.

I also own:

Ulead Video Studio 8, Adobe Premiere Elements 2, Sony Vegas Studio + DVD, Serif's Movie Plus 5, plus what was preinstalled on this new computer.

I used to be a Pinnacle Systems Studio user, but after V7,8, & 9, I could never get a project done without it crashing and losing hours of work. Needless to say, I don't recommend Pinnacle.

Each of the above editors have their strengths and weaknesses. Although a few of them maybe 'technically' more advanced, I still perfer to use EMC 8 because the user interface is much easy to understand (for me). On some projects, I may use one or more of the products for different purposes.

That 'possibly' could be the problem. Although at MyDVD's lowest bitrate, it should be able to fit 2 hours on a single layer disc.

How long is the video and what bit rate is it?

How long is the slideshow?

Remember that the MENU takes up space on the disc, too. If you are using motion/animated menus, they take up more space than nonanimated ones.

Are you trying to burn directly to disc? Have you tried burning to ISO or video_ts folder? Some here like burning to ISO. Personally, I like video_ts folder so I can test out the menu using PowerDVD. If everything is the way I like it, I can still burn the folder using Disc Copier.

If it IS a size problem, one other trick if you haven't tried it yet. Set the project for 8.5 disc. Burn to ISO or video_ts folder. Then use Disc Copier to transcode to single layer. It does a good job. You can also use DVD Shrink with ISOs and folders. It does shrink with top notch quality.

If it IS a size problem, one other trick if you haven't tried it yet. Set the project for 8.5 disc. Burn to ISO or video_ts folder. Then use Disc Copier to transcode to single layer. It does a good job. You can also use DVD Shrink with ISOs and folders. It does shrink with top notch quality.

I did try all combinations of disc size and quality as you suggested above. This morning I made a brand new project where I tried cutting the total project size from 2 hours 8 minutes to 1 hour. Same problem -- it just stops.

Meanwhile, I burned 3 perfectly usable DVD's of this same 2hr 8 min project with ULEAD Ver 10 Trial version. I just don't like their menu templates and you can't change the thumbnails in their menus. (However, I did burn with motion menus which worked fine). Total image file size even with 120 MB of motion menus was 4.23 GB. Quality, as you expect with this much compression, is not the best, especially in low light segments. ...but at least their product WORKS!

I just spent 45 minutes on phone with Roxio Tech Support and they ran me through the usual littany of "latest video driver" / Direct X look-at-dxdiag.exe etc. I'm going to try re-downloading Direct X as they said Microsoft updated it in April. (although I do have what is published as the latest version number -- but Roxio Tech Support says that MS updates DirectX without updating the Version number --- news to me!)

So I will try the DirectX update thing, and if that doesn't change things, I will assemble full documentation, screen shots etc. to email to this Roxio tech support person to take to her engineering people. That's where it stands.

If I get any sort of response from Roxio support, I'll post it in a new topic. It will either be laden with some tips on what to check to get it working or it will be yet another indictment of EMC-8. Thank you for your help. You gentlemen had several good suggestions !

Archived