David Boyd

Hi, newbie type here, please be gentle!

Question

As above, this is my first post & I have no idea if it is in the right section , as I couldn't find an "oldies" section!

Please move it if I am wrong;

When I bought my HP in 2005, it came with Sonic Digital Media + installed on it. This was XP by the way.

Anyway I found it easy & convenient to use.

Just upgraded to Vista (cant buy XP locally any more,) & wondered if I can put Sonic back on it?

Have found Sonic discs for sale marked XP & wondered if there is a "fix" to enable this to run on Vista?

Please be gentle with me as I am a 60yr old who was just getting to know my way around XP a bit, & now must start all overwith Vista!!!

Cheers, Dave

6 answers to this question

First off I'm the one that moved your post.Hopefully you'll get better answers here.

I'd try and see what happens when you try and install.If it doesn't work then you might try here and see if there are any updates to make it work.

Then if not you may have to go to a different product.

Edited by tbrewst

As above, this is my first post & I have no idea if it is in the right section , as I couldn't find an "oldies" section!

Please move it if I am wrong;

When I bought my HP in 2005, it came with Sonic Digital Media + installed on it. This was XP by the way.

Anyway I found it easy & convenient to use.

Just upgraded to Vista (cant buy XP locally any more,) & wondered if I can put Sonic back on it?

Have found Sonic discs for sale marked XP & wondered if there is a "fix" to enable this to run on Vista?

Please be gentle with me as I am a 60yr old who was just getting to know my way around XP a bit, & now must start all overwith Vista!!!

Cheers, Dave

Tell us some more about what you want to do with the Sonic software.

Vista has a lot of built in functions that may satisfy your needs (as did XP).

Tell us some more about what you want to do with the Sonic software.

Vista has a lot of built in functions that may satisfy your needs (as did XP).

Thanks for the reply.

First point is that I haven't got the installation disc yet, I have seen them for sale on ebay with Sonic Digital Media + for XP

& Roxio Easy Media Creator for XP & Vista on the same disc.

I mailed the seller to ask whether Sonic would load on Vista & he has just replied yes, but I am a bit dubious.

I want Sonic for making up music CDs, photo storage DVDs, copying film DVDs etc

I have only had Vista for 2 days & I am wading through it as the instructions are non existent.

I found Sonic easy to understand & use. I made up a disc of photos yesterday,for example, & I had nothing to tell me how much room was left on disc.

I know that I will get used to Vista eventually, but I just lost a lot of work when a backup disc I made before formatting went belly up & I want to get started replacing it.

atb Dave

Thanks for the reply.

First point is that I haven't got the installation disc yet, I have seen them for sale on ebay with Sonic Digital Media + for XP

& Roxio Easy Media Creator for XP & Vista on the same disc.

I mailed the seller to ask whether Sonic would load on Vista & he has just replied yes, but I am a bit dubious.

I want Sonic for making up music CDs, photo storage DVDs, copying film DVDs etc

I have only had Vista for 2 days & I am wading through it as the instructions are non existent.

I found Sonic easy to understand & use. I made up a disc of photos yesterday,for example, & I had nothing to tell me how much room was left on disc.

I know that I will get used to Vista eventually, but I just lost a lot of work when a backup disc I made before formatting went belly up & I want to get started replacing it.

atb Dave

Don't waste time with "Sonic Digital Media +" trying to get it to work with Vista. This is generally OEM software which means it has some features cripples or even missing. The software is 4 to 5years old, ie pre-Vista. I would be very dubious of any e-bay seller claiming it will work with Vista. They are propably dumping it because it no longer works with their system.

BTW, "Sonic Digital Media +" for XP & Roxio Easy Media Creator for XP & Vista on the same disc" were never issued on the same disc. If a seller is trying to sell it as such he has created his own product. The last version of Roxio Easy Media Creator (EMC 10) was 2 years (and versions ago) and is no longer supported by Roxio. The latest Roxio product is Roxio Creator 2010 which came out about a month ago.

Edited by myguggi

Don't waste time with "Sonic Digital Media +" trying to get it to work with Vista. This is generally OEM software which means it has some features cripples or even missing. The software is 4 to 5years old, ie pre-Vista. I would be very dubious of any e-bay seller claiming it will work with Vista. They are propably dumping it because it no longer works with their system.

BTW, "Sonic Digital Media +" for XP & Roxio Easy Media Creator for XP & Vista on the same disc" were never issued on the same disc. If a seller is trying to sell it as such he has created his own product. The last version of Roxio Easy Media Creator (EMC 10) was 2 years (and versions ago) and is no longer supported by Roxio. The latest Roxio product is Roxio Creator 2010 which came out about a month ago.

OK mate, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have bought it as it says on the disc under sonic- XP.

There are several vendors selling the disc with the two progs on & they look pukka!!!

Looks as though I will have to read my non existent Vista manual.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dave

OK mate, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have bought it as it says on the disc under sonic- XP.

There are several vendors selling the disc with the two progs on & they look pukka!!!

Looks as though I will have to read my non existent Vista manual.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dave

OEM is OEM and is a castrated version of the software. It is selling cheap because it probably will not work with Vista or with W7 (coming at the end of the month.)

Microsoft is a good place to go to learn their products. Note the headers. If you know and are comfortable with XP, you can set Vista to look and run almost like XP.

Please post that new computer's spec in your signature via My Controls at the top of the page. That will help us to determine if that computer will run the newer versions of the software. Look for Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 (you can update to 9.1) It is the first fully compatible Vista version of the software. As stated above, Creator 2010 is the latest.

By the way, no legal software will copy a copyrighted movie DVD regardless of where you are. When you say photo DVD are you just talking about storage of the images or are you talking about a slide show? Rule of thumb is that if you are making slide shows (or any movie disc), the most you can put on the disc is one hour of best quality video.

Did your computer come with some software already loaded on it (not Vista)? Many do have OEM (teaster) software that may do what you want. If you want to stay with Roxio, be forewarned that the new versions are much different than the older ones so you will have a learning curve. I look at US e-bay and they have a lot of sellers so you may save a few bucks. However, if you buy directly from Roxio (download or hard copy), you have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it. Look for on-line coupon stores; some will give you a discount on top of the discount that Roxio provides. Look at the available software here. That is the US page, look to the upper right to select other countries. Note that some will do music, some will do videos, some will do other things. Creator 2010 is the only one that will do everything. Unless you plan on making high definition videos, or need a back up program, or need a audio cleaning program , or need a program where you can edit background audio (the program's music) then you don't need the PRO. If you are planning to do video capture from a VHS player or from an analog camcorder, then you would also need the USB capture device. (Look on same page).