• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

KODAK dIGITAL DX 6490 .mov files to cd or dvd?

umpireshort

Question

14 answers to this question

what is the relevance of 2gigs or 4gigs of ram on a pc
Not much really since most video editors don't load teh entire video into memory anyway. BUT more memory does indeed help Windows XP run better and makes it 'seem' faster. With 1gig or more of system memory, Windows does not use the swap file as much for it's own code.

$200 video card? Can get a really good one for that. I just purchased a PCIe nVidia 7300GS with 256M RAM for only $69.99 after rebates at CompUSA.

While they have gotten much better, Digital Still Cameras do not make good Movie cameras. Likewise, Digital Camcorders don't make good Still pictures…

Hard disc space and processor speed are the keys to capture and editing. RAM has less impact than you would think. Capture, rendering and burning only use a minimal amount of RAM. Where RAM does make a difference is editing. The more you have, the faster things move along within the editor. 512mb is usable but you will notice some waiting periods. 1gb is very 'comfortable', 2gb would be better as long as you get a good deal pricewise.

Hard Drives – big and fast! A 1 hour AVI file is about 14gb. Since no PC has that much RAM, there is a lot of disc swapping going on during edits. Keep in mind that even mpeg & mov files (much small) are first uncompressed during edit so their 'size' goes back to AVI size.

CPU – faster is better. Dual Core is not required, but if it is available at minimal extra cost, why not go for it…

Video Card (IMPORTANT) The software specs mention "DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card". The integrated (part of the motherboard) cards prevalent in low cost PCs often do not meet this requirement. You don't need a $1,000 video card, but you will want a separate card that can meet/exceed the DirectX 9 requirements.

As per digital still and video cams, which do you find to be the best Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Sony? or? Without breaking the bank? What pixel or x power? As far as slr's also for 35mm with with 200 zoom ?

thanks

I would suggest going for EMC8 Premier Deluxe. It has everything in it and while it may be a little more than what you need right now, "needs" tend to grow.

VideoWave is the editor where you make cuts, adjust brightness/colors and generally do all that can be done with a source clip or clips.

You then take the VW project file into MyDVD which will create the output interface, menus, chapters, etc. MyDVD is also where you burn your project.

The programs will take most popular video formats including .mov. You will have to install Apple's QuickTime Player to get the codecs needed for .mov files.

Edit: My bad, I was thinking Deluxe but typed Premier…

Not much really since most video editors don't load teh entire video into memory anyway. BUT more memory does indeed help Windows XP run better and makes it 'seem' faster. With 1gig or more of system memory, Windows does not use the swap file as much for it's own code.

$200 video card? Can get a really good one for that. I just purchased a PCIe nVidia 7300GS with 256M RAM for only $69.99 after rebates at CompUSA.

----------

HP Pavillon M7480N Dual Core P4 3Ghz, 2gig RAM, one 300gig SATA150, one 120gig/one 200gig ext USB2, Samsung TS-H652L Lightscribe DVD, Mad Dog 16XDVD9A2 (NEC3520A OEM), PCIe nVidia 7300GS w/256 RAM, Epson 1670 scanner, Dimage Scan Dual IV 35mm scanner, Epson 1280 photo printer, Sharp AL1551CS laser printer/copier, Sony TRV740 8mm digial camcorder and Fuji S7000 for still photos

--------------

Thanks again.

I have an old compaq and has served me well, how long and how satisfied are you with the Hp? If you care to?

With the PCIe nVidia 7300GS, can you do tv in/out/ record from vcr etc?

If so i could ease the pain and go for better cameras, Fuji the best for still?

Thanks

As per digital still and video cams, which do you find to be the best Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Sony? or? Without breaking the bank? What pixel or x power? As far as slr's also for 35mm with with 200 zoom ?

thanks

There are a lot of web sites that are devoted to cameras. One I like is Cameratown.com. Cameras are large investments and I suggest that you go to a large retail outlet and look at the ones that feels right to you. Then to a web site to see the reviews on those cameras. As to the rest; it depends on what you are going to do with them - print how large, slide shows, etc. Where are you going to use it - sporting events, portrait, close up pictures. Most people except professional photographers and special needs photography won't use 35 mm film cameras today. (I'll probably get a lot of feedback on that.)

Hi

I am buying a new pc and my present dvd player will not play the .mov files using easy cd creator. Which version do i need to do this?

thanks

sorry if this is the wrong forum.

:)

Keep in mind that as you advance with your use of the program, it may not be long before you want more from the program, if your computer has the spec's required for v8 I personally would suggest the deluxe version. Premier might suffice for now but why not get the whole deal while your at it. Just a thought. James might have a particular reason for his suggestion, and possibly you don't do much work with the program, in which case his suggestion is the way to go. Just make sure your computer is over what the recommended spec's are and your video drivers and Direct X is up to date.

Keep in mind that as you advance with your use of the program, it may not be long before you want more from the program, if your computer has the spec's required for v8 I personally would suggest the deluxe version. Premier might suffice for now but why not get the whole deal while your at it. Just a thought. James might have a particular reason for his suggestion, and possibly you don't do much work with the program, in which case his suggestion is the way to go. Just make sure your computer is over what the recommended spec's are and your video drivers and Direct X is up to date.

Thanks

I'm between an AMD 64 3200- 3700 OR a Dell xps400 dual core 3.0,

250 sata hd on either, pci express 256 1600,? dell doesn't offer it, an noticing your pc specs, how satisified are you with your dell doing these functions with the roxio program, apparently you added some things on your own?

I don't know where i will go with what to do with this, but i want to do video capture plus editing, i am not a gamer it's all in amatuer photography.

Thanks

Thanks

I'm between an AMD 64 3200- 3700 OR a Dell xps400 dual core 3.0,

250 sata hd on either, pci express 256 1600,? dell doesn't offer it, an noticing your pc specs, how satisified are you with your dell doing these functions with the roxio program, apparently you added some things on your own?

I don't know where i will go with what to do with this, but i want to do video capture plus editing, i am not a gamer it's all in amatuer photography.

Thanks

I have had two Dell computers and I haven't had any problem with using Roxio. This last computer I tried to stay on the high side of the spec's so I could use it for a while before having to upgrade, however, that only lasts for a little while, as I am sure you know. Even though your not a gamer. I am not either, you need a really top notch video and graphics card to handle the encoding, effects and transitions. Of course lots of memory and hard drive space is a good idea also. I am definately not a techie, I would say the bulk of my computer use is in photography and DVD projects. Some of the other guys could probably talk more about the technical part of the computers. Seems like I have lots of power and speed and have been happy so far. I have had this computer for about a year now. I still have my other Dell it is a Demension 8250 and I haven't had any problems so far with v8, however, I don't use that computer all that much for video work. Hope this answers part of your question and maybe James can take it further. :)

My bad, I was thinking Deluxe but typed Premier… I fixed my post.

Thanks between the 2 of you here-

i was shooting grandkids baberuth baseball tonight and only used a 512 sd card and filled it easily.

along with the new pc specs if you can is, 2 gigs of ram sufficient for what i putz around with and what is the better video card without spending a ton, one that you can use vcr-tv-dvd-in and out and is the dual processor the better way to go or will the amd 3200 do the job?

if you care to elab.

thanks

by the way, they won a thriller in extra innings , 6-5

Thanks between the 2 of you here-

i was shooting grandkids baberuth baseball tonight and only used a 512 sd card and filled it easily.

along with the new pc specs if you can is, 2 gigs of ram sufficient for what i putz around with and what is the better video card without spending a ton, one that you can use vcr-tv-dvd-in and out and is the dual processor the better way to go or will the amd 3200 do the job?

if you care to elab.

thanks

by the way, they won a thriller in extra innings , 6-5

Great about the game...sounds like fun.

I will let James get back to you about the computer specs. I am sure he will get back to you soon.

While they have gotten much better, Digital Still Cameras do not make good Movie cameras. Likewise, Digital Camcorders don't make good Still pictures…

Hard disc space and processor speed are the keys to capture and editing. RAM has less impact than you would think. Capture, rendering and burning only use a minimal amount of RAM. Where RAM does make a difference is editing. The more you have, the faster things move along within the editor. 512mb is usable but you will notice some waiting periods. 1gb is very 'comfortable', 2gb would be better as long as you get a good deal pricewise.

Hard Drives – big and fast! A 1 hour AVI file is about 14gb. Since no PC has that much RAM, there is a lot of disc swapping going on during edits. Keep in mind that even mpeg & mov files (much small) are first uncompressed during edit so their 'size' goes back to AVI size.

CPU – faster is better. Dual Core is not required, but if it is available at minimal extra cost, why not go for it…

Video Card (IMPORTANT) The software specs mention "DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card". The integrated (part of the motherboard) cards prevalent in low cost PCs often do not meet this requirement. You don't need a $1,000 video card, but you will want a separate card that can meet/exceed the DirectX 9 requirements.

"Hard Drives – big and fast! A 1 hour AVI file is about 14gb. {Since no PC }has that much RAM, there is a lot of disc swapping going on during edits. Keep in mind that even mpeg & mov files (much small) are first uncompressed during edit so their 'size' goes back to AVI size."

Thanks

For the sake of conversation, what is the relevance of 2gigs or 4gigs of ram on a pc , with relation to a (14gig avi) file?

Th video cards i am looking at are in the $200.00 range ???? 256-

Sorry for the stupid question

:)

Archived