NoK

Drivers?

Question

Does anyone know where I can get the drivers for the Roxio USB Capture Device? I purchased the Windows software just before I made a decision to switch to a MAC for my video stuff and I asked Roxio Tech Support if I could use the device on my MAC with iMovie and they said yes. I tried attaching the device and my MAC does not see it. So I assume I need drivers for it.

So far I have gotten 2 answers from Roxio referring me to downloads for Windows and one they attached a file to download for MAC but the package would not run.

Can anyone help me? I do not want to purchase the MAC version since I want to use the device with iMovie, not the Roxio software.

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

I think you were misinformed by Roxio. I don't believe the PC version can work on the Mac. Contact Roxio again and make sure they understand that you don't have the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac but want to run the PC version you do have. My sense is they will tell you it isn't possible.

I think you were misinformed by Roxio. I don't believe the PC version can work on the Mac. Contact Roxio again and make sure they understand that you don't have the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac but want to run the PC version you do have. My sense is they will tell you it isn't possible.

I would think that is correct…

As I understand the MAC version it is specialized software as well as MAC drivers for the device.

I believe the PC software will run on a MAC but can not use the capture device…

A true Catch 22 situation :lol:

Thank you so far for your replies. Just to be clear, what I am trying to do is just use the USB capture device on the MAC with iMovie. I do not wish to use the Roxio software. I tried returning the product and they will not exchange it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so far for your replies. Just to be clear, what I am trying to do is just use the USB capture device on the MAC with iMovie. I do not wish to use the Roxio software. I tried returning the product and they will not exchange it. Any help would be appreciated.

The Easy VHS to DVD for Mac only works with its own software. It does not work for direct import to iMovie. In fact, it encodes in MPEG 2 format which iMovie cannot import in any case. The Roxio software has a converter that converts the MPEG 2 video to MPEG 4 which iMovie can import. Even if there was a way to get the PC version of Easy VHS to DVD to work on a Mac it cannot be used for direct import to iMovie.

The only way I know of to capture video directly into iMovie is either with a standalone analog-to-digital DV capture device such as a Canopus ADVC 55 or with a DV camcorder that has analog to digital passthrough such as some models in Canon's ZR series. These capture in DV format. iMovie imports the video via a Firewire link.

I also have the PC version and I downloaded the MAC Upgrade from Roxio. I installed it on my MAC and I was able to capture my video. When I play it, I have to play it on my Windows environment through VMWare on my MAC. I see the video and it looks good, only problem is I have a banner for Elecard and a scrolling banner at the bottom of my video. Plus I can not fast forward through the video.

Is it because I did not get the full version of the MAC Software? Please help.

I also have the PC version and I downloaded the MAC Upgrade from Roxio. I installed it on my MAC and I was able to capture my video. When I play it, I have to play it on my Windows environment through VMWare on my MAC. I see the video and it looks good, only problem is I have a banner for Elecard and a scrolling banner at the bottom of my video. Plus I can not fast forward through the video.

Is it because I did not get the full version of the MAC Software? Please help.

Are you saying you are using the PC USB device with the Mac Software and it works? This really surprises me.

The Mac version comes with a limited edition of Toast 9 Light in which the MPEG 2 video can be authored to a video DVD (or video DVD disc image file) for playback on your Mac. Otherwise you need VLC Media Player (and possibly Apple's QuckTime MPEG2 playback component) in order to play the MPEG 2 video on your Mac.

Are you saying you are using the PC USB device with the Mac Software and it works? This really surprises me.

The Mac version comes with a limited edition of Toast 9 Light in which the MPEG 2 video can be authored to a video DVD (or video DVD disc image file) for playback on your Mac. Otherwise you need VLC Media Player (and possibly Apple's QuckTime MPEG2 playback component) in order to play the MPEG 2 video on your Mac.

No I downloaded the MAC Software Upgrade off the ROXIO website, installed it on my MAC. Used the USB device that came with my PC Version. I was able to capture the video on my MAC. When I play it back it plays fine except for the fact that it has a Elecard banner on it and says I need to download the CODEC or something. I need the MAC Software. I have put Support Requests in with ROXIO with no response. When I try to actually use it on a PC with the PC Software, it stops and studders. MICROSOFT SUCKS! I need the ROXIO software for the MAC, I am guessing it has everything that I need.

No I downloaded the MAC Software Upgrade off the ROXIO website, installed it on my MAC. Used the USB device that came with my PC Version. I was able to capture the video on my MAC. When I play it back it plays fine except for the fact that it has a Elecard banner on it and says I need to download the CODEC or something. I need the MAC Software. I have put Support Requests in with ROXIO with no response. When I try to actually use it on a PC with the PC Software, it stops and studders. MICROSOFT SUCKS! I need the ROXIO software for the MAC, I am guessing it has everything that I need.

The Mac software you downloaded is the full capture application except for the bundled Toast 9 Basic. It is intended to be used with the Roxio video capture USB device that comes with the Mac version. My device has a UB315-E code written on the back. My diagnosis of your issue is that you need the full purchased version of Easy VHS to DVD for Mac rather than try to combine the Mac software you downloaded with the PC capture device. Roxio is not selling this as a cross-platform product. You either buy and use the PC version on a PC, or the Mac version on a Mac or buy both. At least, that's what makes sense to me.

My device has a UB315-E code written on the back.

So does mine from the Windows version. It makes sense given USB's standard nature, and from a business standpoint to have a single model.

Reading from this thread tells me that with a bit of arm wrestling it may be possible to get the Windows-packaged dongle to work on a Mac.

Not an emergency in my case as I'm staying on Wintels for a whole lot of reasons, but my sisters have Intel Macs, and it'd be fun if they could convert some videos on their own computers.

Edited by LouisR