Sign in to follow this  
regt_2000

archiving vhs copies

Question

I hope this hasn't already been addressed (couldn't find it, anyway), but is it possible to use this system to archive old purchased VHS tapes onto dvd, just for an archival copy?

5 answers to this question

I hope this hasn't already been addressed (couldn't find it, anyway), but is it possible to use this system to archive old purchased VHS tapes onto dvd, just for an archival copy?

Try it and see...

The device encodes an MPEG 2 video file which you can burn as a data disc (in the bundled Toast 9 Basic) if that is what you want.

The device encodes an MPEG 2 video file which you can burn as a data disc (in the bundled Toast 9 Basic) if that is what you want.

Would I be able to view that file as a movie, should my VHS tape break, or I no longer am able to buy a VHS player (as happened with my collection of Beta tapes)? If I simply wanted to rip off movies, I can rent them cheaply and copy them, but I only want to use EV2D4M for archiving the VHS tapes I already own. Otherwise I have no reason to buy it.

Thanks.

Would I be able to view that file as a movie, should my VHS tape break, or I no longer am able to buy a VHS player (as happened with my collection of Beta tapes)? If I simply wanted to rip off movies, I can rent them cheaply and copy them, but I only want to use EV2D4M for archiving the VHS tapes I already own. Otherwise I have no reason to buy it.

Thanks.

What makes most sense is to use Toast to create a video DVD disc image file on your hard drive containing the videos you converted from VHS. Whenever you want to play them just mount the disc image file which then automatically launches DVD Player for viewing.

If you just want to view the MPEG 2 videos without making them into a video DVD disc image file then you'll need to purchase the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component for $19.95 from Apple's online store. It is needed to play MPEG 2 video on your Mac with QuickTime Player.

An advantage of creating the video DVD disc image file is it is very easy to burn a video DVD disc from that file for playing in a standalone DVD player or on any computer with a DVD drive.

Thanks, tsantsee. I'll give that a try, then.

Reg

Jefferson, OR (but typing from Salem, CT)

What makes most sense is to use Toast to create a video DVD disc image file on your hard drive containing the videos you converted from VHS. Whenever you want to play them just mount the disc image file which then automatically launches DVD Player for viewing.

If you just want to view the MPEG 2 videos without making them into a video DVD disc image file then you'll need to purchase the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component for $19.95 from Apple's online store. It is needed to play MPEG 2 video on your Mac with QuickTime Player.

An advantage of creating the video DVD disc image file is it is very easy to burn a video DVD disc from that file for playing in a standalone DVD player or on any computer with a DVD drive.