MiaV

Compatibility with Snow Leopard

Question

Does anyone know whether Easy VHS to DVD for Mac is compatible with Snow Leopard? Currently runs well on my system with 10.5.8.

Hi there

As per my other post it is still working with leopard but will capture audio with my macbook pro and snow leopard!

The audio is received into the mac but isn't picked up by E2vd4m!

There have been no successful suggestions yet! If yours works please post how

Cheers

Andrew

Hi there

As per my other post it is still working with leopard but will capture audio with my macbook pro and snow leopard!

The audio is received into the mac but isn't picked up by E2vd4m!

There have been no successful suggestions yet! If yours works please post how

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks. I plan to update my iMac with Snow Leopard. Since the roxio program works with sys 10.5.8 I will keep a copy on my external drive, which is bootable, with 10.5.8.

MiaV

I tried it with 10.6.1. No luck with audio,but video worked. After 2 attempts to get help from Roxio,with no useful advice,they finally admitted it will not work with Snow Leopard. No info as to when compatibility will be achieved. I am NOT pleased

Jerry

I'm not happy either!

Finally the truth is out!

They really should get this sorted. I bought this program for a specific purpose and I would like my money back if it doesn't do what is says on the box!!

It really is not good enough!

Andrew

I'm not happy either!

Finally the truth is out!

They really should get this sorted. I bought this program for a specific purpose and I would like my money back if it doesn't do what is says on the box!!

It really is not good enough!

Andrew

I think it is important to send a complaint to Roxio Support. If the complaints don't come in there isn't much incentive to update. I have.

MiaV

I have been using with Snow Leopard (10.6.2) Managed to convert several tapes through iMovie in the end.

Continuing problem of a hang as the iMovie opening is about to happen. Also found its not happy if iMovie is already open... Quality is pretty poor if you're going to use Quicktime.

So it CAN work with SLeopard but I would hardly call this great software or efficient support. Its wrong to produce applications that do not work properly. Roxio should be ashamed and embarrassed.

PS someone at Roxio should look up 'community' and assess their responsibility to it.

Edited by stevebennettoz

Congratulations Roxio! You have deceived many loyal Mac Fans with the release of Easy VHS to DVD for Mac which DOES NOT WORK with the Mac Snow Leopard OS. You should be ashamed/ I logged a problem log for this product and finally after a few days got a reply which basically was a copy of the manual for the product. Thanks for this insult. I had already read the Manual and followed all steps. When someone opens a Problem Log/Ticket and gives you all the necessary information you should be honest enough to acknowledge that the product has a problem with the OS and not just try to appease them by sending them copies of the product's Manual. What a slap in the face. I have been a loyal customer of Roxio products on both PC and Mac products for years. I would think you would not want to let your faithful clients down as you have with this product.

.... or looked at the System Requirements posted for the product (here)

It clearly states that is is not 10.6 compatible.

Minimum System Requirements:

•Macintosh® computer with a Dual Processor PowerPC™ G5, or Intel® processor

•DVD recordable drive for DVD-Video creation

Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5 (My Note It does not say or newer)

•512MB RAM

•15GB free hard disk space recommended

•Available USB 2.0 port

•iMovie® HD, '08, or '09

Edited by sknis

It works on this MB Pro and 10.6.2. The video and sound work and the quicktime video plays with sound with quicktime 10. Trouble is, even though the movie shows up as an event in iMovie, it can't be edited.

The movie looks pretty good in Quicktime 10 or 7, but using Toast Titanium to create a DVD results in really crappy video. I got similar results using 10.5.

Unlike the reviews, quality is awful in either 10.5 or 10.6.

Folks at Apple say they get lots of calls on all versions and recommend people use a better product.

Does anyone know whether Easy VHS to DVD for Mac is compatible with Snow Leopard? Currently runs well on my system with 10.5.8.

I am having limited success in 10.6.2. I was having trouble but am now able to record to DVD's. I can't edit yet but am looking for a work around. What I did is to use Toast Basic 1.0.3 , from the shipping disk, not the upgrade. the Toast upgrade didn't work well. Titanium 6 didn't work well either.

Then everything went well. I was testing a TV show on a VHS tape. I used high quality capture and a slow recording to DVD speed. Seems to be fine. I hope this helps.

So apparently, not a single one of you have lifted a phone and called Roxio about this??? :huh:

Actually I had. After a hell of long wait and not a lot of spare time, all I was told was that there was currently no update. I also took the time to the sit down and send a detailed email of the question, and concern. All of which was expressed in very appropriate language. The response:

Thank you for contacting Roxio Customer Care

We appreciate that you took the time to contact us.

We're always glad to hear from our customers whether it be a compliment or suggestion.

We have documented your feedback and will make sure that the information is passed along to the right people in our organization as necessary.

Regards,

Roxio Customer Care

As to one of the other posted comments about not paying attention to system requirements, I would say two things. In my case I was well aware, which is why I have kept the earlier Mac OS on a bootable external drive. However, I am sure a number of customers assume a product will be supported on later system software versions, if not right away sometime in the future. Just providing a customer with a glimmer of hope down the road often instills a bit more loyalty and patience.

Actually I had. After a hell of long wait and not a lot of spare time, all I was told was that there was currently no update. I also took the time to the sit down and send a detailed email of the question, and concern. All of which was expressed in very appropriate language.

Thank you for posting!

Roxio took a similar tact with the Win7. Only a select few are compatible, very few and the Windows version of Easy VHS to DVD is not among them…

2 Thoughts –

1. An OS upgrade is optional… If you elect make your current software unusable you need not look outside of the room to find the culprit.

2. If reasonable, a software company would do anything in its power to make old versions work, within limits.

But the key to the second thought is 'reasonable'… Anyone who thinks anything involving software code is easy have never written a single line of code and are relying on the knowledge they have gleamed from Comic Books and TV shows.

The Grassy Knoll people will swear that Roxio is holding back the fix to generate new sales… — good thinking kids! Sales of what??? (Popcorn 4 is the only MAC product that is 10.6 approved)

But sometimes B-A-D decisions are made and the Tech Support & Customer Service people, who had no real say in making the decision, are left to be stoned by the customers.

I hope there is a good resolution for this and soon!

Thank you for posting!

Roxio took a similar tact with the Win7. Only a select few are compatible, very few and the Windows version of Easy VHS to DVD is not among them…

2 Thoughts –

1. An OS upgrade is optional… If you elect make your current software unusable you need not look outside of the room to find the culprit.

2. If reasonable, a software company would do anything in its power to make old versions work, within limits.

But the key to the second thought is 'reasonable'… Anyone who thinks anything involving software code is easy have never written a single line of code and are relying on the knowledge they have gleamed from Comic Books and TV shows.

The Grassy Knoll people will swear that Roxio is holding back the fix to generate new sales… — good thinking kids! Sales of what??? (Popcorn 4 is the only MAC product that is 10.6 approved)

But sometimes B-A-D decisions are made and the Tech Support & Customer Service people, who had no real say in making the decision, are left to be stoned by the customers.

Try MPEG Streamclip, I did and it works well with Easy Vhs and OS10.6.2. It can be downloaded from the Apple web site and from Squared 5' site. Good luck

Thank you for posting!

2 Thoughts –

Per Roxio as of 12/18/09: Easy VHS to DVD is not yet compatible to OS 10.6. As of the moment we don't have an updates yet but we will be notifying you once we already have it. You may also try to check our website from time to time to check for the release of an update.

They were up front with the information and responded quickly.

Edited by danpet

Per Roxio as of 12/18/09: Easy VHS to DVD is not yet compatible to OS 10.6. As of the moment we don't have an updates yet but we will be notifying you once we already have it. You may also try to check our website from time to time to check for the release of an update.

They were up front with the information and responded quickly.

I received Easy VHS to DVD for Mac as a Christmas gift from my daughter who is a school teacher. She wasn't aware of the compatibility issues with Snow Leopard... She really wanted me to have this gift in order to convert movies of her mother who has passed away...

I installed the program on a new MBP without checking Minimum System Requirements. I usually do... I have 135 apps, and ALL ARE COMPATIBLE WITH SNOW LEOPARD. Snow Leopard came out in August... Did it not???

Before I even start this project it looks to me like there are much better alternatives out there then Roxio's...

Two questions:

- Does anyone know if or when Easy VHS to DVD for Mac will be Snow Leopard compatible?

- It is virtually impossible to talk to a human at Roxio. Does anyone know the return policy?

Thank you for any help on this.

So apparently, not a single one of you have lifted a phone and called Roxio about this??? :huh:

From my research - they do not provide phone support on this product...

From my research - they do not provide phone support on this product...

The product is not compatible as discussed earlier. You'd have to ask Roxio if they are coming out with a compatible version.

If your daughter bought it directly from Roxio, then you have a 30 day $$ back, no questions asked guarantee. If you bought it elsewhere, take it back and point out that it is not compatible. Most places will take it back if you ask nicely and show that it is not compatible. I even got Fry's to take back an opened package of a different program for the same reason.

Tech support is offered for the flagship and new products; call the phone number. You will be asked to give them a credit card number but will not charge you until they hear your problem and agree to the fix. I'm not sure what you can do with a phone call other than rant - you have been doing a nice job of it on these forums. Remember the people that come here come to help. I thins case there is nothing anyone here can do to help.

Copied and reposted rants will be deleted. We heared you the first time.

:rolleyes:

Try MPEG Streamclip, I did and it works well with Easy Vhs and OS10.6.2. It can be downloaded from the Apple web site and from Squared 5' site. Good luck

Thank you Sunnystreets for the tip on using MPEG Streamclip!

I already have MPEG Streamclip and it has been excellent for converting video from my aging Canon miniDVD discs to DV format so I can import them to iMovie and Final Cut Express for editing. I'm glad I can use it to make Easy VHS to DVD to work too. I haven't opened my copy yet, and was about to bring it back to Fry's until I saw your post (I actually purchased it on the same receipt as Snow Leopard). Now I can't wait to hook up the old 8mm camcorder and give it a try. :rolleyes:

Edited by Retsofnv

I'm guilty of not looking for "and greater". I had no problem capturing my first tape, but when I selected "send to iMovie" my problem arose. When I opened iMovie 9 the file appears in the Library, but I can take the process no further. Apple tech thinks that the file roxio wrote is not able to be processed by iMovie.

I was able to send my capture to Toast Titanium and produce a satisfactory DVD. Not all that I had in mind – rather wanted to add some titles and such in IMovie.

Maybe I'll try the money back return path and wait for a later version...

My initial experience was that Easy VHS to DVD Capture did not work with Snow Leopard properly. It displayed the video reasonably well in the capture program but voices in the audio sounded like Mickey Mouse. When I played back the video in Quicktime X, or VLC, it was speeded up 2 times, which explained why the audio sounded funny.

On looking through various forums, I realized that the Roxio product was recording in MPEG2 format, which is not natively supported by Mac OS X, in any version.

Users need to buy and install the Apple MPEG2 component for QuickTime in order to make this product work. Alternatively, you can get the MPEG2 component if you buy Final Cut Pro.

Roxio should make this System Requirement clear on the product information, OR they should include it in their product. :-)

My initial experience was that Easy VHS to DVD Capture did not work with Snow Leopard properly. It displayed the video reasonably well in the capture program but voices in the audio sounded like Mickey Mouse. When I played back the video in Quicktime X, or VLC, it was speeded up 2 times, which explained why the audio sounded funny.

On looking through various forums, I realized that the Roxio product was recording in MPEG2 format, which is not natively supported by Mac OS X, in any version.

Users need to buy and install the Apple MPEG2 component for QuickTime in order to make this product work. Alternatively, you can get the MPEG2 component if you buy Final Cut Pro.

Roxio should make this System Requirement clear on the product information, OR they should include it in their product. :-)

The QuickTime MPEG 2 component is not needed to make the device work. It is needed if you want to play the recorded video on your Mac without having converted it for import to iMovie or using Toast to make a video DVD. The device is well-named because its ideal use is to make a DVD disc from VHS tapes and other analog video sources. If the goal is to make a video playable on a Mac rather than making a DVD then other products are better suited for that purpose.

Edited by tsantee

The QuickTime MPEG 2 component is not needed to make the device work. It is needed if you want to play the recorded video on your Mac without having converted it for import to iMovie or using Toast to make a video DVD. The device is well-named because its ideal use is to make a DVD disc from VHS tapes and other analog video sources. If the goal is to make a video playable on a Mac rather than making a DVD then other products are better suited for that purpose.

Umm, Yes, my actual use of the Easy Capture device is to record a demo video of an App we are developing for the iPhone, using the video output port of the iPhone to replicate what is happening on the screen. The video output is 480i.

The Roxio device was not syncing or recording properly until I installed the MPEG2 Component for QuickTime. I am running this on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.2. It is now working reasonably well.

If you have other recommendations for doing video capture, I would be very interested to hear them.

Umm, Yes, my actual use of the Easy Capture device is to record a demo video of an App we are developing for the iPhone, using the video output port of the iPhone to replicate what is happening on the screen. The video output is 480i.

The Roxio device was not syncing or recording properly until I installed the MPEG2 Component for QuickTime. I am running this on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.2. It is now working reasonably well.

If you have other recommendations for doing video capture, I would be very interested to hear them.

It isn't working for me at all on my MacBook Pro since updating to Snow Leopard even when I boot the Mac using 10.5.8 on an external drive. Your post has me wanting to test the device on my new iMac. I don't want to promote competing products in Roxio's forums but there are a couple devices that do real-time analog to H.264 encoding on Macs. The Roxio device is the only one that encodes to MPEG 2 format which makes creating video DVDs a snap.

Your experience with audio sync and recording being improved with the MPEG 2 Playback Component is good to know. I have that component installed on my Macs. I might do some testing of what happens if it is present or not present if I can get the device to work at all on my Macs.

As a matter of customer good will I would expect Roxio to acknowledge the issue on their website and inform the customer when and if to expect an update. You shouldn't have to extract it from them. New Macs are coming with Snow Leopard installed and Roxio is still selling the software. People expect the product to be compatible with the current OS be it Windows or Mac

Edited by danpet