• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC7 DVD Builder doesn't see DVD burner

wailermon

Question

:) I spent hours building a Wedding slideshow in EMC 7 DVD Builder, and when I get ready to burn it to disc, the program is not seeing the DVD burner! I've checked all wires, and the DVD player works perfectly with all other media that I've tried in it. I reinstalled EMC 7 and still no luck. The "Burn To Disc" box is checked, but greyed out. There are no drives listed in the pull-down box. It reads "No drive present." I am stumped! Anyone have any ideas? This will be a disaster if I can't deliver this wedding DVD! HELP!!!!!!!

~wailer

13 answers to this question

Uh, oops, they are not exactly the same. The LowerFilters.Bak type is

REG_MULTI_SZ, and Data column reads PxHelp20drvmcdb. The UpperFilters.Bak file type is also REG_MULTI_SZ, and Data column reads pwd_2k. I suppose I should be leaving these alone right?

Since they are .bak, they are excess baggage. Something else altered the keys, and renamed them to .bak.

Delete them or leave them since they will never be used by XP.

There might be another way.

Do you have any other DVD burning software?

If you do, you could burn to an 'image file' instead of the DVD burner. Then use the other software to burn the DVD. This was a problem on one of my computers where Nero has burning rights for the burner.

And make certain when you check for firmware and updates that you get them from the computer/DVD burner manufacturer's website. If you get them from another website, you could end up permanently damaging your burner.

I am new to these things and I too am having the same problem. At first my dvd wouldnt burn, kept saying that it was incompatiable with the dvd. I went through the steps of deleting through the device manager. Now it comes up blank. I do also have Nero, but to try burning to an image file, how do you do that? Please help. I've worked for weeks on a dvd for Father's day. I fianlly got everything perfect and now it just wont burn. Thanks.

Guest mlpasley
I am new to these things and I too am having the same problem. At first my dvd wouldnt burn, kept saying that it was incompatiable with the dvd. I went through the steps of deleting through the device manager. Now it comes up blank. I do also have Nero, but to try burning to an image file, how do you do that? Please help. I've worked for weeks on a dvd for Father's day. I fianlly got everything perfect and now it just wont burn. Thanks.

When you get to the DVD burning menu, select the option under the DVD burner which is an 'image file'. That will make an .iso file on your hard drive. Make certain that you know where the file is being stored.

Open Nero. There should be an option to burn a Disk Image. On my version, there is a Nero StartSmart which under Copy and Backup has the option to 'Burn Image to disk'. If you have a different version, you might need to consult the Nero Help menu.

Hope that helps.

Since they are .bak, they are excess baggage. Something else altered the keys, and renamed them to .bak.

Delete them or leave them since they will never be used by XP.

Well, none of this worked. It still did not see the burner from either my laptop or desktop. Not even the external burner! :huh:

After all was said and done, I dug into my wallet and made the trip to the local COMPUSA where I purchased version 8. I seriously thought about going with Nero, but didn't want to deal with the learning curve. I held my breath, but version 8 burned fine on my first test!

Thanks so much to all those who tried to help! I at least knew I had exhausted the "easy" fixes or wasn't doing something wrong. Computers . . . hard to live with sometimes, impossible to live without! :D

Oh, by the way . . . why'd they monkey aournd with version 8? Now you an no longer replace a transition by dragging it onto the old one. You now have to go through several steps to change one out. I liked the old drag-and-drop method from version 7 MUCH better! I suppose I should just be happy that I am able to complete this little project. I've already spent WAY too much time on it! :)

~Wailer

When you get to the DVD burning menu, select the option under the DVD burner which is an 'image file'. That will make an .iso file on your hard drive. Make certain that you know where the file is being stored.

Open Nero. There should be an option to burn a Disk Image. On my version, there is a Nero StartSmart which under Copy and Backup has the option to 'Burn Image to disk'. If you have a different version, you might need to consult the Nero Help menu.

Hope that helps.

Tried that it comes up with unexpected file format???????

:) I spent hours building a Wedding slideshow in EMC 7 DVD Builder, and when I get ready to burn it to disc, the program is not seeing the DVD burner! I've checked all wires, and the DVD player works perfectly with all other media that I've tried in it. I reinstalled EMC 7 and still no luck. The "Burn To Disc" box is checked, but greyed out. There are no drives listed in the pull-down box. It reads "No drive present." I am stumped! Anyone have any ideas? This will be a disaster if I can't deliver this wedding DVD! HELP!!!!!!!

~wailer

A few things you can try. In Device Manager, remove the drive that's not seen and reboot. Windows will pick it up at reboot. Maybe EMC will as well.

Do you have another similar program like EMC installed on your system? If so, there could be a conflict with it.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your burner. And, finally, you can try the upper/lower filter fix but make a registry back up first.

"Upper/Lower Filters:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer"

Let me know how it goes. I assume you were in Afghanistan with our finest????? Today's a perfect day to say T H A N K S.

:D OK, I'm really feeling dumb now. I updated drivers to both my internal and external DVD burners, but was too much of a novice to monkey around with the Registry. I've done that before with disasterous results :) I completely rebuilt the slideshow on my laptop and burned it to the hard-drive which produced an image file. When I go to burn it to disk my desktop computer still does not see either burner. After trying numerous tests, I was able to finally burn a test run to a DVD+RW disk utilizing my laptop and the external DVD burner (It's the little victories!). Unfortunately, I cannot get the disk to play on any DVD player!! So, I gave up tonight, but I am running out of time. I am contemplating spending $100 on Nero tomorrow, and starting over. I MUST get this Wedding slideshow done this weekend! Thanks to all those who have tried to help. I just can't understand why this isn't working. I used it to burn numerous disks while deployed in the field in Afghanistan last year. This is nuts! :huh:

~Wailer

A few things you can try. In Device Manager, remove the drive that's not seen and reboot. Windows will pick it up at reboot. Maybe EMC will as well.

Do you have another similar program like EMC installed on your system? If so, there could be a conflict with it.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your burner. And, finally, you can try the upper/lower filter fix but make a registry back up first.

"Upper/Lower Filters:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer"

Let me know how it goes. I assume you were in Afghanistan with our finest????? Today's a perfect day to say T H A N K S.

:D OK, I'm really feeling dumb now. I updated drivers to both my internal and external DVD burners, but was too much of a novice to monkey around with the Registry. I've done that before with disasterous results :) I completely rebuilt the slideshow on my laptop and burned it to the hard-drive which produced an image file. When I go to burn it to disk my desktop computer still does not see either burner. After trying numerous tests, I was able to finally burn a test run to a DVD+RW disk utilizing my laptop and the external DVD burner (It's the little victories!). Unfortunately, I cannot get the disk to play on any DVD player!! So, I gave up tonight, but I am running out of time. I am contemplating spending $100 on Nero tomorrow, and starting over. I MUST get this Wedding slideshow done this weekend! Thanks to all those who have tried to help. I just can't understand why this isn't working. I used it to burn numerous disks while deployed in the field in Afghanistan last year. This is nuts! :huh:

~Wailer

If you print out Paul's list and follow it step by step, it will work and I am 99.99% sure that will bring your drive back to life.

Thank you for your service. My former unit, 22nd INF – 10 DIV (Mountain), did a tour in Afghanistan and are currently in Iraq. They lost 3 men last week, so I am aware of the risks…

If you print out Paul's list and follow it step by step, it will work and I am 99.99% sure that will bring your drive back to life.

Thank you for your service. My former unit, 22nd INF – 10 DIV (Mountain), did a tour in Afghanistan and are currently in Iraq. They lost 3 men last week, so I am aware of the risks…

Thanks James . . . I'll give it a try. And thank you for YOUR service as well. I hope we're doing some good over there and in IZ. If we don't go after them where they hide (PK, SY, and IR), I'm not so sure. But this probably isn't the place for all that! :)

Thanks James . . . I'll give it a try. And thank you for YOUR service as well. I hope we're doing some good over there and in IZ. If we don't go after them where they hide (PK, SY, and IR), I'm not so sure. But this probably isn't the place for all that! :)

I just went thru the steps. Not as hard as I imagined (especially if it works!). I noticed that there are .bak (backup) files of both of these filter files. They read exactly the same except for the .bak extension. Should I delete them too?

~Wailer

Guest mlpasley

There might be another way.

Do you have any other DVD burning software?

If you do, you could burn to an 'image file' instead of the DVD burner. Then use the other software to burn the DVD. This was a problem on one of my computers where Nero has burning rights for the burner.

And make certain when you check for firmware and updates that you get them from the computer/DVD burner manufacturer's website. If you get them from another website, you could end up permanently damaging your burner.

I just went thru the steps. Not as hard as I imagined (especially if it works!). I noticed that there are .bak (backup) files of both of these filter files. They read exactly the same except for the .bak extension. Should I delete them too?

~Wailer

Uh, oops, they are not exactly the same. The LowerFilters.Bak type is

REG_MULTI_SZ, and Data column reads PxHelp20drvmcdb. The UpperFilters.Bak file type is also REG_MULTI_SZ, and Data column reads pwd_2k. I suppose I should be leaving these alone right?

Archived