• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
engineerjoel

Do i have to burn a DVD?

Question

I don't not yet own Easy VHS to DVD. But, I do have a question.

After the transferring the VHS movie into the computer, I noticed that there are three options. A)Send To TOAST B)EDIT With IMOVIE C) Send To QuickTime Player.

My question.....is it possible just to save the movie as a file directly on the HardDrive? I'd like to be able to NOT have to commit to either: "A" "B" or "C" at that moment. But rather just be able to save the movie as file and come back at a later date to Edit and clean up the project in whatever Movie editor I'd choose and then burn or DVD or just upload it on say YouTube/MySpace/ wherever.

Thanks,

4 answers to this question

The capture itself is an MPEG 2 video file so you don't need to do anything after the capture is complete. However, you cannot later use the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac application to convert that file or send it to iMovie. You need to use some other application to do that. For example, the full version of Toast can do this (the bundled Toast 9 Basic cannot). If you want to play the MPEG 2 video on your Mac you'll need Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component which costs $19.95. With it and the freeware MPEG Streamclip you can also convert the video to other formats whenever you like.

The capture itself is an MPEG 2 video file so you don't need to do anything after the capture is complete. However, you cannot later use the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac application to convert that file or send it to iMovie. You need to use some other application to do that. For example, the full version of Toast can do this (the bundled Toast 9 Basic cannot). If you want to play the MPEG 2 video on your Mac you'll need Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component which costs $19.95. With it and the freeware MPEG Streamclip you can also convert the video to other formats whenever you like.

Hey tsantee, Thanks for the reply.

Though, I still just a bit confused....so to clarify. Are you saying that "...after the capture is complete...", yes, I can just save the MPEG 2 video file to my harddrive and then import it into iMovie at a later date?

Thanks,

If the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac application is able to save a video for use in iMovie at the end of the capture process, why doesn't the application provide the ability to convert the MPEG 2 file into iMove after the fact? I have captured several videos and recorded them to DVD and would now like to edit them with iMovie, but there is no simple way to do this other than to go back and re-capture the original video.

Okay, if the full version of Toast can do this conversion, what is the upgrade price and process to purchase this version. I looked at the Roxio website and could not find an upgrade price for the full version of Toast 9. It looked like only Toast 10 is available for purchase.

Please help me understand why this conversion dan't be provided from within the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac application and if that's not a future direction of the product, which version of Toast I really need.

Thanks!

If the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac application is able to save a video for use in iMovie at the end of the capture process, why doesn't the application provide the ability to convert the MPEG 2 file into iMove after the fact? I have captured several videos and recorded them to DVD and would now like to edit them with iMovie, but there is no simple way to do this other than to go back and re-capture the original video.

Okay, if the full version of Toast can do this conversion, what is the upgrade price and process to purchase this version. I looked at the Roxio website and could not find an upgrade price for the full version of Toast 9. It looked like only Toast 10 is available for purchase.

Please help me understand why this conversion dan't be provided from within the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac application and if that's not a future direction of the product, which version of Toast I really need.

Thanks!

I can't explain why Roxio did it this way. I also can't find that Roxio is still selling the full version of Toast 9. Doesn't your Mac meet the Toast 10 system requirements? If not the easiest thing to do is to get MPEG Streamclip (freeware) and Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component ($19.95) and use Streamclip to convert the MPEG 2 movie to either full quality QuickTime movie, DV or MPEG 4 for import to iMovie.