Sign in to follow this  
engineerjoel

Roxio vs Elgato

Question

I just stumbled across Elgato Video Capture bundle.

I watched several video tutorials on-line and noticed that Elgato Video Capture software looks amazingly similar to Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD software.

On the surface, the only difference that I can tell between the two applications is the price. Elgato is $99.99 and Roxio is $59.99.

Can anyone compare/contrast the two applications and justify the $40.00 difference.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

ElGato and Roxio cooperate on many things. The Roxio device captures in MPEG 2 format which is what is used in video DVDs. The ElGato device captures as h.264 MPEG 4 which is popular for playback on computers and some video devices that have hard drives such as AppleTV. If you are planning to use iMovie to edit the captures then the ElGato unit can be the better choice because iMovie can read MPEG 4 video but not MPEG 2. The Roxio software has to convert the MPEG 2 video to MPEG 4 for import to iMovie.

So if you want the easiest way to make DVDs from your analog videos, the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac is the better choice (as its name suggests) because the captured video needs no additional conversion. If you want to edit videos and share them on computers you can do this with the Roxio device but the ElGato unit is better suited for that, in my opinion.

ElGato and Roxio cooperate on many things. The Roxio device captures in MPEG 2 format which is what is used in video DVDs. The ElGato device captures as h.264 MPEG 4 which is popular for playback on computers and some video devices that have hard drives such as AppleTV. If you are planning to use iMovie to edit the captures then the ElGato unit can be the better choice because iMovie can read MPEG 4 video but not MPEG 2. The Roxio software has to convert the MPEG 2 video to MPEG 4 for import to iMovie.

So if you want the easiest way to make DVDs from your analog videos, the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac is the better choice (as its name suggests) because the captured video needs no additional conversion. If you want to edit videos and share them on computers you can do this with the Roxio device but the ElGato unit is better suited for that, in my opinion.

Well, Easy VHS certainly doesn't work. Is there any chance that Elagato will?

I've been reading comments here and elsewhere and tried lots of suggestions. After many hours on several (Intel) Macs, in 10.4 and 10.5. I have never been able to create a DVD that will work in a DVD player. So, what is the "Easy" in the title supposed to mean?

I bought a premium copy of Toast Titanium and tried exporting to that. My DVD player and toast are set to region one. But, all I get is a message that this disk cannot be played.

I tried converting video files to MPEG 4, but iMovie still does not open the movie to edit it.

Am I missing something here? When they say making DVDs, I assume they mean DVDs that can be played on a DVD player, and not just a computer. Am I mistaken?

Well, Easy VHS certainly doesn't work. Is there any chance that Elagato will?

I've been reading comments here and elsewhere and tried lots of suggestions. After many hours on several (Intel) Macs, in 10.4 and 10.5. I have never been able to create a DVD that will work in a DVD player. So, what is the "Easy" in the title supposed to mean?

I bought a premium copy of Toast Titanium and tried exporting to that. My DVD player and toast are set to region one. But, all I get is a message that this disk cannot be played.

I tried converting video files to MPEG 4, but iMovie still does not open the movie to edit it.

Am I missing something here? When they say making DVDs, I assume they mean DVDs that can be played on a DVD player, and not just a computer. Am I mistaken?

I don't know where to begin with this. Sorry you're having so much difficulty. Toast burns for all regions so the region of your DVD player is not a factor. I've read some posts where users with the latest updates to Toast 10 and 9 are getting DVDs that don't play in all players. If you use the Toast 9 Basic version that came with the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac you shouldn't have that problem. Hopefully Roxio knows about the issue and will fix it in a Toast update.

I've exported to MPEG 4 the file with Toast 10 and had iMovie import the video. A better choice is to choose the AppleTV preset, though.

I tried burning a movie using Toast following instructions. What I end up with is separate Audio and Video files.

I'm able to rip from DVDs and burn movies without a problem using Toast 8. I converted a movie I imported using EasyVHS to MPEG4 but how can I burn that or any imported movie, to a (playable) DVD?

I tried burning a movie using Toast following instructions. What I end up with is separate Audio and Video files.

I'm able to rip from DVDs and burn movies without a problem using Toast 8. I converted a movie I imported using EasyVHS to MPEG4 but how can I burn that or any imported movie, to a (playable) DVD?

The video recorded by the Easy VHS to DVD is in MPEG 2 format and doesn't need any conversion to make a video DVD with Toast. You should be able to drag the source file to the Toast video window (with DVD video selected as the format) and have Toast author it as a video DVD. The disc will contain a VIDEO_TS folder and an empty AUDIO_TS folder. Maybe that is what you are referring to when you mention separate Audio and Video files. The audio is for the DVD is contained together with the video in the VOBs inside the VIDEO_TS folder. This is normal for video DVDs.

Does your Toast-burned video DVD play using DVD Player on your Mac?