• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CD and DVD reading issues

tajv2005

Question

Most of the threads I see in this forum are about burning.

My big problem is that if I burn a CD either with drag-to-disc or with creator classic, I later on cannot open the files to access their contents. The disc won't read.

I have about 30 CD's that won't open anymore.

Now, since 2007, I have Windows XP-PR0

before that I had Windows 98-SE

I have used these Roxio programs:

Easy CD creator 5.0

then upgraded to 5.5Platinum with the fix to make it compatible with XP

Now I have EMC10

And sometimes I have used the windows software.

I have never used any other software than windows or Roxio.

I do not understand why some CD's will open and others will not.

Why do discs become corrupted?

Why do the files on the discs become corrupted?

I understand there can be scratches or dirt but they sit in their envelopes in their plastic boxes on a bookshelf or in a drawer and I don't touch them unless I need to check them to see if they open.

So, usually dirt and scratches is not an issue.

This has been a problem for me since my first computer in 2003 or 2004

7 answers to this question

Most of the threads I see in this forum are about burning.

My big problem is that if I burn a CD either with drag-to-disc or with creator classic, I later on cannot open the files to access their contents. The disc won't read.

I have about 30 CD's that won't open anymore.

Now, since 2007, I have Windows XP-PR0

before that I had Windows 98-SE

I have used these Roxio programs:

Easy CD creator 5.0

then upgraded to 5.5Platinum with the fix to make it compatible with XP

Now I have EMC10

And sometimes I have used the windows software.

I have never used any other software than windows or Roxio.

I do not understand why some CD's will open and others will not.

Why do discs become corrupted?

Why do the files on the discs become corrupted?

I understand there can be scratches or dirt but they sit in their envelopes in their plastic boxes on a bookshelf or in a drawer and I don't touch them unless I need to check them to see if they open.

So, usually dirt and scratches is not an issue.

Go to this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry295414

It talks about DVD's but the same applies to CD's. You could follow the instructions on how to identify which disc was using Drag to Disc and which were using Creator Classic.

Once you identify a few, then you could see which will play and which don't.

This may not be the problem, but lets see how you make out.

What type of Disc's were you using CD R's or CD-RW's

Edit:

Posted new link

You may want to look into this product. The free download only shows recoverable files, you have to buy the product to recover the files...

IsoBuster is an award winning , highly specialized and easy to use CD, DVD and blu-ray (BD, HD DVD) data recovery tool.

It supports all CD / DVD / BD / HD DVD formats and all common file-systems ... Rescue lost files from a bad or trashed CD or DVD disc, save important documents, precious pictures, video from the family, your only system backup, ... IsoBuster can do it all !

http://www.smart-projects.net/

cd

The last version of ECDC5 was 5.3.5V, and the trick was to ignore the "compatibility" warning from XP and install your ECDC5, and then update ECDC to 5.3.5 before running it. That way XP never got to see the early ECDC drivers running before they were updated.

There's a pinned post on this in the ECDC 4+5 forum here.

thank you Brendon. I know of this and have used it many times. Now, for some reason, my current XP installation won't let it run and Roxio said it is no longer available....I have the updater on two differend CD's.

And you are right it is 5.3.5.10 as you said; I said it wrong.

thank you Brendon. I know of this and have used it many times. Now, for some reason, my current XP installation won't let it run and Roxio said it is no longer available....I have the updater on two differend CD's.

And you are right it is 5.3.5.10 as you said; I said it wrong.

Does your "current" XP have either Internet Explorer 7/8 or Windows Media Player 10/11 - both these will break early versions of Easy CD Creator.

Thank you both for responding. I am looking into everything you said.

I used to be able to rescue files from/with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.5 Platinum. But for some reason, suddenly Windows XP PRO will not let me install it, even with the fix that makes it stable for XP. IN fact, Roxio no longer supports that fix.

Now, for some reason, my current XP installation won't let it run and Roxio said it is no longer available....I have the updater on two differend CD's.

This sounds bad. Can you tell me please, what XP 'won't let run' and what Roxio says is no longer available?

If something has changed I need to know if I can make a work-around to gat past the change.

Thanks,

Brendon

The last version of ECDC5 was 5.3.5V, and the trick was to ignore the "compatibility" warning from XP and install your ECDC5, and then update ECDC to 5.3.5 before running it. That way XP never got to see the early ECDC drivers running before they were updated.

There's a pinned post on this in the ECDC 4+5 forum here.

Archived