• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drag-to-disc Autorun.inf problem

m_kuitunen

Question

I have inherited some code that uses Drag-to-disc to burn some images and data to CD. The request from marketing was to automatically start the image viewer app that is included on the CD when the user inserts the disc into the drive.

So, naive developer that I am, added an Autorun.inf file to the procedure that copies files to the CD.

Unfortunately, I am having different problems on both Win 2K and Win XP systems. It looks like the systems are trying to run the Autorun as soon as the Autorun.inf file shows up on the CD - either as it is being burned, or at the completion of burning and the start of disc finalizing.

Win 2K problem: Error dialog (with title "Desktop") says: "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied". This problem only occurs if I have Windows Explorer open. Interesting.

Win XP problem: Error dialog (with title "Drag-to-Disc") says: "The recorder is busy. Please try again later.". This problem happens whether or not the Windows Explorer is open.

Things I have considered:

--- I can't catch the windows notifications programmatically, as different windows can have "focus", some of which I have no control over.

--- I can't change the 'Autorun' related registry keys, as then the CDs will not autoplay on the PCs that they are created on. Also, I can't change them on-the-fly, as reboots are required after you change the reg key values.

Questions:

--- How do I tell the 'system' (Win 2K) to not be looking for Autorun.inf files as CD's are being burned?

--- How do I tell Drag-to-Disc (Win XP) to not be looking for Autorun.inf files as CD's are being burned?

--- Is there another way to fool everybody that is trying to open an Autorun.inf on the CD (only during burning)?

--- Any other ingenious ideas that don't involve rewriting all the inherited code?

Thanks for the help,

-Mike-

2 answers to this question

I have inherited some code that uses Drag-to-disc to burn some images and data to CD. The request from marketing was to automatically start the image viewer app that is included on the CD when the user inserts the disc into the drive.

So, naive developer that I am, added an Autorun.inf file to the procedure that copies files to the CD.

Unfortunately, I am having different problems on both Win 2K and Win XP systems. It looks like the systems are trying to run the Autorun as soon as the Autorun.inf file shows up on the CD - either as it is being burned, or at the completion of burning and the start of disc finalizing.

Win 2K problem: Error dialog (with title "Desktop") says: "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied". This problem only occurs if I have Windows Explorer open. Interesting.

Win XP problem: Error dialog (with title "Drag-to-Disc") says: "The recorder is busy. Please try again later.". This problem happens whether or not the Windows Explorer is open.

Things I have considered:

--- I can't catch the windows notifications programmatically, as different windows can have "focus", some of which I have no control over.

--- I can't change the 'Autorun' related registry keys, as then the CDs will not autoplay on the PCs that they are created on. Also, I can't change them on-the-fly, as reboots are required after you change the reg key values.

Questions:

--- How do I tell the 'system' (Win 2K) to not be looking for Autorun.inf files as CD's are being burned?

--- How do I tell Drag-to-Disc (Win XP) to not be looking for Autorun.inf files as CD's are being burned?

--- Is there another way to fool everybody that is trying to open an Autorun.inf on the CD (only during burning)?

--- Any other ingenious ideas that don't involve rewriting all the inherited code?

Thanks for the help,

-Mike-

I think that you already went too far by playing with the registry, but I guess that I don't really know for sure. There are very few things in the registry that I would even attempt to hack, and the last program that I would load on my computer, is a packet writing software like Drag to Disc, DLA, or InCD.

Do you have other packet writing software on you computer? If you do, therein lies the problem.

BTW, I am partial to Finnlanders. I married one 36 years ago, and we are still married. :)

Archived