Burn .avi files to DVD

sonnyC

Question

I am using Roxio Creator 2010 Pro and trying to burn .avi movies from my hard drive to a dvd. The .avi files were my sons TV shows that may need to be compressed to fit as they are more than one show of a series. I used to use Roxio Creator 2009 copy & convert, and had no problem doing this. Since moving to Windows 7 the 2009 version wasn't compatable so I bought the 2010 version. It locks up or just doesn't start the copy. I have tried reinstalling the software.

7 answers to this question

I am using Roxio Creator 2010 Pro and trying to burn .avi movies from my hard drive to a dvd. The .avi files were my sons TV shows that may need to be compressed to fit as they are more than one show of a series. I used to use Roxio Creator 2009 copy & convert, and had no problem doing this. Since moving to Windows 7 the 2009 version wasn't compatable so I bought the 2010 version. It locks up or just doesn't start the copy. I have tried reinstalling the software.

You will have to explain a bit more exactly what you want to do and how you are doing it. Do you just want to copy the avi files to a DVD as data? Do you want to create a video DVD that can be played on a DVD player? Are those DVD avi files or DivX avi files?

File size means nothing when creating video DVDs, it's the timelength of the video that is important. A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any longer and the video has to be compressed to fit with a resulting loss of quality.

BTW, C2009 runs just fine on W7. You may be having other problems with your system

You will have to explain a bit more exactly what you want to do and how you are doing it. Do you just want to copy the avi files to a DVD as data? Do you want to create a video DVD that can be played on a DVD player? Are those DVD avi files or DivX avi files?

File size means nothing when creating video DVDs, it's the timelength of the video that is important. A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any longer and the video has to be compressed to fit with a resulting loss of quality.

BTW, C2009 runs just fine on W7. You may be having other problems with your system

The files I am trying to convert are avi files and I'm trying to burn them to a dvd to make them playable in a dvd player. Not sure about original being a divx or not.

The compatability checking utility from Microsoft said that I would have problems with Creator 2009 in Windows 7. I tried to load it after loading windows 7 and it wouldn't load. If you think this would work and I can just use Creator 2009, my problems would be solved as I have used it many times and know how to use it.

Did you install Service Pack 4 for EMC 2009?

I'm sure I'll feel stupid for asking but what is EMC 2009. Is it the 2009 Version of Roxio Creator. If so, I don't think I installed the update. I did instal Roxio 2010 though. Maybe if the 2009 version works with Windows 7, I could use the 2010 version on my desktop and reinstall the 2009 version on my desktop?

I'm sure I'll feel stupid for asking but what is EMC 2009. Is it the 2009 Version of Roxio Creator. If so, I don't think I installed the update. I did instal Roxio 2010 though. Maybe if the 2009 version works with Windows 7, I could use the 2010 version on my desktop and reinstall the 2009 version on my desktop?

That was a typo on gi7omy's part - I am sure he meant Roxio Creator 2009, there is no EMC 2009 only a EMC 9 which is now 3 versions back. The latest update for Roxio Creator 2009 is SP4. C2009 should work with Windows 7.